• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are people okay with this?

@DanR
Stop preaching at me. I don’t share your beliefs, but I don’t go around telling you why I think you’re wrong. I respect that your beliefs differ from mine. I’m only asking that you do the same instead of telling me I’m in denial. I think it’s rude and condescending. And it’s wasted on me, I’m perfectly happy with my own beliefs, no need to try and convert me.

all the religions of the world are like the preset buttons on a car radio. choose the one that speaks to you, or not. mebbe put in a CD instead?

I for one am not debating religion. I will say that I studied all the major world religions (and their multiple offshoots) back in high school and my early adulthood, and continue to do so. I can say, that they all have billions of followers, and they all have their own beliefs, and say their way “is truth.” So “truth” is subjective to where one lives, and how one was brought up. Wars have been fought over whose ”truth” is the “correct truth.” Millions of lives over the history of mankind have been subject to horrific tortures and sufferings to instill and enforce, coerce these so called “truths” of many different religions, and continues in our modern world today.

I do not think this forum should allow (in keeping with the forum rules) the statements denying one religious belief (your “truth” ) over another. Whether one believes in Reincarnation, or Hanuman, or Yemaya, or the Torah, Koran, Bible, or whatever, let’s be respectful. Accept that your truth is yours and your chosen club’s truth, but know there are many clubs throughout the world that disagree, and believe they have just as much prove that theirs is the correct one too. No one has more scientific evidence then another.

I think this section of General Rules & Guidelines covers that concern.

Posting Guidelines and Member Conduct

1. Insulting or personal attacks on other members is prohibited.
Insults, whether on a personal, cultural, or national level are not tolerated here.
2. Do not attempt to "flame", "troll" or bait other members into arguments.
3. Racial, gender (sexist) and religious hatred/discrimination will not be tolerated.

You seem to be postulating that most people fear death and mix in some confusing belief fragments.

Do you have and actual data on people's opinions of death and so on? I'd like to see that first.

I don't know about other ages but with older people I don't see any consistant majority opinions in anything. If anything, I would venture fear of death is not a big issue with most. I would suspect a sort of 'well if its time, its time' attitude prevails, whether they believe in an afterlife or not.

You seem to be postulating that most people fear death and mix in some confusing belief fragments.

Do you have and actual data on people's opinions of death and so on? I'd like to see that first.

I don't know about other ages but with older people I don't see any consistant majority opinions in anything. If anything, I would venture fear of death is not a big issue with most. I would suspect a sort of 'well if its time, its time' attitude prevails, whether they believe in an afterlife or not.

Thanks Tom, so true. Yeah, I am old, achy, and plain ole tired! Permanent rest sounds pretty good...worrying about what comes after is a stress anxiety producer I don’t need. Mindful living means living in the moment. That’ takes energy and intelligence enough. A lot of folks feel exactly the same way.

The original question is why people don't fear death and the answer from many is based upon their religion. My answer was that I don't fear death because I believe in God and that there's a better place. How can I change that answer? I avoid debates because I get too worked up inside and can't sleep. I apologize if I broke any rules or offended anyone with my answer to the question.

The original question is why people don't fear death and the answer from many is based upon their religion. My answer was that I don't fear death because I believe in God and that there's a better place. How can I change that answer? I avoid debates because I get too worked up inside and can't sleep. I apologize if I broke any rules or offended anyone with my answer to the question.
There is nothing wrong with your answer. You have a right to your beliefs and in answering the question in the original post you didn’t break any rules.
To tell others their belief is false, or wrong, or dumb, and trying to convince them that yours is the only true faith, that would be crossing the line.

Pat, it’s not you. Several people jumped on one religious bandwagon (which is upsetting to many)... Everyone does not believe the same, and whatever you believe in should be ok. Just wish all beliefs could be accepted whatever they are.

Right now I don’t belong to any religious belief. But I think that we have a spirit/soul/energy along with our physical bodies. When our physical body dies, our spirit/soul/energy doesn’t just cease to exist, like all energy, it is transformed. How or where I don’t know. But I think a part of us lives on, and always has.

I hold that we are LIVING proof of what that judgement is! I hold judgement to be one of the worst of all possible actions and I will not ascribe this to God. I hold there is wheat and chaff in all done by and through the work of man and holy scriptures of any sort are no exception. The God I serve is not a respecter of persons. Mine is a Lord of UNQUALIFIED love that is Infinite and Eternal.

Last edited:
I for one cannot bear the thought that after the travails of this life, that there would be just a big abyss of nothingness, plus it offends my sense of purpose. YMMV.

Bolletje: Thanks for your comment.
And sorry, GrownupGirl that this post is getting a little off topic, but I feel it's important to answer this.

I believe that truth is exclusive; things are either true or false. That is, it’s either true for everyone or it’s false for everyone. We don’t get to pick and choose reality. We are impressed on the actual reality, whatever it is.

You don’t wish to acknowledge what your heart tells you, that’s your prerogative. But your denial doesn’t make it not there. Everyone feels guilt - the foreboding of the coming judgement (with the possible exception of "psychopaths," as I am told).

He offers you a gift, and you can accept it or reject it - forgiveness for what you've done. But, as Jesus said, “And this is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness more than the Light, for their works were evil. For everyone practicing wickedness hates the Light, and does not come to the Light, that his works may not be exposed. But the one doing the truth comes to the Light, that his works may be revealed, that they exist, having been worked in God.”

There is a judgement coming, you can feel it. The consequences are eternal, but the cost is high: you must admit to God that you haven’t measured up and that you’ve offended Him. And it's true that some people just can’t bring themselves to that point.

God loves you, and He made a way for you to escape the consequences that you've earned (no judgement here, I’ve done some awful stuff too). You just have to be willing to have Him shine light on what you’ve done (not like a public light – just between you and Him – He’s not unkind).

Those are my beliefs.

"I believe that truth is exclusive; things are either true or false. That is, it’s either true for everyone or it’s false for everyone. We don’t get to pick and choose reality. We are impressed on the actual reality, whatever it is."

You are assuming that you are right. Have you considered that what you have chosen to believe is false?

I think that whether you wish to acknowledge it or not there is no absolute right or wrong. There are many shades of grey in between. This would be a terrifying world to live in if everyone believed in such absolutes.

"I believe that truth is exclusive; things are either true or false. That is, it’s either true for everyone or it’s false for everyone. We don’t get to pick and choose reality. We are impressed on the actual reality, whatever it is."

You are assuming that you are right. Have you considered that what you have chosen to believe is false?

I think that whether you wish to acknowledge it or not there is no absolute right or wrong. There are many shades of grey in between. This would be a terrifying world to live in if everyone believed in such absolutes.

Everyone has there owned morals, at the very least history repeats itself...

In fact there are many today in society that believe some crazy stuff. None of this stuff is strange, its human nature. Man will lie cheat and steal and many times justify in his head that he is doing the right thing.

This happened throughout history even on to today.

Truth is the truth, Can one born to an abusive parent choose to believe it's not so?

Last edited:
Meanwhile I'm sitting here thinking "How the heck did this turn into something about religion?!".

I hope God exists, but I don't think so. Eternal suffering seems like a fair price to pay to have my infinite curiousity satisfied. The fear of dying is dying and there not being a God. Now that would be the biggest disappointment of my existence.

The worst thing would be that this existence is a simulation... by humans. Oh dear. I seriously do not want to justify my thoughts and actions to... ugh... humans. At least with God I could relate when he talks about how frustrating people are and that they are always doing stuff in the bedroom that they're not supposed to, even after he explicitly told them not to.

I'm afraid of dying because then i won't see all the scientific discoveries in the future and I'm young so i feel like i haven't done enough yet. But when i once was in a car accident and for a second i tought I'm dying i was calm and remember just thinking that "i guess this is it" and i wasn't afraid at all

I'm not afraid of death as much as the process of getting there in the first place. The latter always sucks, no matter which way it happens.

Whether I had an incarnation before and will have one after is anyone's best guess and nothing more. Maybe I didn't, maybe I will, maybe I won't, maybe I was a measly fly on the wall before this, maybe something else that my narrow consciousness can't perceive? If someone can answer the question of how they came to exist (and I'm not talking about being pulled from the womb here, we've all been there and done that), let's hear it.

To be honest I don't believe in a before or afterlife.

My belief is that once you're either buried or cremated, that's it! You don't come back as anything.

Although if I was in a before life, I must've been pretty bad to be born into this life as a severely disabled Aspie.

New Threads

Top Bottom