• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are "Grammar Nazis" hated so much?

So those who hate "Grammar Nazis", may i ask why?

Hate them? I am one. :)

But, seriously, I think it's because people don't like to be corrected and don't like to be wrong. This is especially true if it is in a situation on the Internet where others can see that they've been corrected. It's a humiliation. Also, I think some people believe you are more interested in showing off your intelligence than listening to (or reading) what they have to say. I used to correct people's grammar all the time. I realized it wasn't appreciated in most cases. Therefore, I usually only do it when I notice errors in professional writing or speech (usually I can't correct the person directly for this though), or when I notice a pet peeve of mine like the habit people have formed using the word "then" when they mean "than."

I am also a grammar nazi, but would only think of peoples' errors than verbally correct them. I'm in the UK, so 'realised' is spelt with an 's' here instead of a 'z' (American version)

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of the article about the Pluperfect Virus - originally written for the Washington Post, and later circulated as a hoax email. Very funny (or I think so at least)
http://web.mit.edu/jemorris/humor/pluperfect.virus
(I'd link to the original on Bobsfridge, but I can't seem to load it.)

Last edited:
That article was bloody brilliant! =D

I let most things slide. I am a bit stubborn about using "lack" and not "like". I'm quick to dismiss a garbled mess of chatspeak, especially with ample amounts of 1337 thrown in, and most trolls I purposely nitpick their writing to tick them off because they lose all concept of proper punctuation use. I'll tell them to start over and try again, and the conversation will not continue until they are being civilised again. When I'm really bored, I pick on those "Nigerian beneficiary" emails too. I don't mind the British vs. English spellings since I use about half of each myself. I also don't mind when English isn't somebody's first language. It can be a bit difficult to read, but I find it very interesting. I used to have a knack for picking out who was from India based on their writing. And then try not to let them know I could tell, some would freak out a bit when I told them they had an "accent" in their writing. I didn't think it a bad thing, but I guess it bothers some people.

As for when I slip, it really depends on who's doing the correcting. If it's a friend or someone I know to just simply be correcting an error, I make note of it and try to get it right in the future. If it's somebody I don't know, or especially somebody that just likes to be rude, I'm more likely to give them grief because they often make it less about who's right and more about who can look superior to the other, and I have no intention of being used to stroke somebody's ego.

Cali Cat I think you nailed it. But for me If I am wrong I am wrong and prefer to be corrected. So to those who correct grammar i have to thank you because it keeps my spelling up to date. But as said before I think your response nailed it.

Cupboardy Yeah I live in the UK to i also realised that its spelt with a z. But i like using the z, It makes more sense in my opinion and aesthetically looks more neater since the z makes it standout a lot more.

zurb I love satire. That article was hilarious. But to me, people who correct grammar help me more than annoy me. But people gave different perspectives which gave me a wider understanding of why some people hate grammar correctors.

Last edited:
Personally I notice, but I tend not to correct others. I used to do that in the past, and understandably it wasn't very popular. On the other hand, when I'm asked to do it it's a different story :D

I don't actually correct people, but I notice errors. And they really, really annoy me.

If I make a mistake, it either means that I couldn't spell the word and it was so bad spellcheck couldn't figure it out or that I was having enough trouble with my hands that I didn't bother trying to correct it. I have carpal tunnel and my typing shows clearly when it's giving me the most trouble because my writing gets really sloppy. I prefer not to be corrected because in both cases I *know* it's wrong, but couldn't do anything about it, for whatever reason.

I become a grammar Nazi when the person doing the writing claims to be a writer, journalist, or other professional. It's part of their job to know correct usage. For "regular" people I just let it pass: American education is so poor that most people have no idea what grammar is.

I find another problem with the school system lots of teachers don't have time to help people with disabilities. I feel the school system needs to change to cater to different learning styles. However, since lots of school systems have a limited budget, I never see this is going happening. It too bad because if they made this change, more people can be do better in school.

I see people might have different views. Even me taking computer programming at college,I could take the course online, I prefer taking the course in person. Something I watched in my trade on TV is people tend to do better in person as they can get one on one help with the teacher. I don't find it as effective getting help online. Though I know some people live in rural areas the online is the only option for them.

we grammar nazis are so hated because we make people think they are stupid when we correct them. But, this is not true. We're not trying to make you sound stupid, we are trying to help you out ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom