• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who do I talk to?

JMcCauley

I started with a behavioural therapist who thought I had bipolar disorder. I have seen a psychiatrist twice, the one who diagnosed me with Asperger's. Though, I feel like I'm wasting my psychiatrist's time just going and chit chatting with him about my obvious but somewhat resolved disorder. I don't know anyone in my personal life with Asperger's, and no access to support groups.

So who should I talk to about my issues with life in the NT world?

Depends. How disruptive are your issues to others, and how much do they bother you? Something I found helpful was using the psychiatrist for medical matters only, like my annual check-ins and for prescriptions, and using a social worker specializing in workplace issues for other things.

I get a lot from AC for routine stuff, and for working my way out of the "OMG not AS" state I was in a month ago or so.

To me neurotypicals are totally useless when you try to talk about your problems. I have tried countless times and we are not even in the same conversation. They never understand. They usually dismiss what i say saying ''you are overreacting'' 'you have first world problems'' or some generic crap like ''it will get better''. I usually solve my problems by researching online or trial and error. Have been to psychiatrists all my life since i was diagnosed with asberger when i was around one year old. Not productive or helpful talking with them, at least to me. I was depressed and it was a result of being abused by my narcissistic mother and i got a myriad of other false explanations. I am new to this community too but it seems promising. Try to share what troubles you here, i think there are people who get it.

New Threads

Top Bottom