• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which Insects Do You Like/Hate ??

Hopeless_Aspie_Guy

Just wondering how other people are towards insects. This summer I've had to remove many Mr. Big's (thick legged spiders about 2-2.5" diameter) which I don't mind (I'll even pick them up if I have to, though normally I have a compact hoover that sucks them up without killing them) but I just hate how inopportune big spiders appearances are and never knowing if one's going to drop down on you or crawl on you in your sleep. Oddly enough I haven't had any in my room this year and I keep the windows open at night. I hate dead spiders that have wrinkled up, that just looks creepy.

I don't mind moths as they normally settle down after they've fluttered around (even have a little fun poking them just for them to go crazy). My biggest insect hate are DADDY LONG-LEGS (crane flies) as they just hover around randomly and are quite big and really stupid. I hate it when they hang from your ceiling on one leg.

When it comes to wasps I just find something really big and flat to swat them towards an open window with and will happily run like crazy from them if they're buzzing around me in the open outside (as they'll sting for any old reason sometimes).

Oh and I HATE flying ants as I think they're just disgusting looking and there can sometimes be waaaay too many of those thing flying around on warm summer evenings.

The other things I really hate are knats/mosquitos, especially when you see huge clusters of them flying around in a swarm in open air, but I rarely get bitten by them otherwise, so I'm lucky.

Though I can tollerate them, in general I just wish all insetcs would permanantly DIE!!
But I guess some larger animals need them for food.

I live near a swamp, so I loath mosquitoes. They come out in swarms all summer long and prevent me from enjoying my yard at all. Ants and spiders that want to live in my house need to move out or die too. But in general I like insects and I am fascinated by them, and yes that goes for spiders too. Although for deadly kinds I have a kill on sight rule, sucks to be a black widow if I find you.

That sounds like where I lived in Florida. They had Huntsman spiders that would find their way out of the swamp into my house. The application of Raid just slowed them down; I'd have to hit them with the can. I just about soiled myself the first time I saw one.

As for black widows, we have those (and brown recluse) here in Alabama. Last week I killed another black widow in my laundry room.
When I used to live in NC, I saw black widows all the time. Here I mostly get wolf spiders, but they can be intimidatingly large sometimes and only have some minor differences in coloration compared to the brown recluse. The wolf spider is all brown but with slightly darker brown twin stripes lengthwise across its body. I jokingly call them racing stripes, but yeah the similarity to a fiddleback spider are enough to kill on sight in case of a misidentification.

When I used to live in NC, I saw black widows all the time. Here I mostly get wolf spiders, but they can be intimidatingly large sometimes

I think the Wolf Spider is probably similar to the Huntsman; big, hairy, and ugly.

Why would you have such big spiders in your world.... why?!? Here in the UK you don't have anything dangerous in the wild to worry about, no big or poisonouse insects, dangerous animals, bad weather...nothing. Biggest spiders you get here are typically just over 2.5" in diameter (creepy but bearable).

Why would you have such big spiders in your world.... why?!? Here in the UK you don't have anything dangerous in the wild to worry about, no big or poisonouse insects, dangerous animals, bad weather...nothing. Biggest spiders you get here are typically just over 2.5" in diameter (creepy but bearable).
I'm moving out to a desert soon too, so I'll add scorpions to the list then. Nothing deadly, just average nightmare fuel. Really they aren't that scary I'm bigger than they are.

I love all insects except mosquitoes. Actually, I love mosquitoes too...from a distance.

I have a similar view. I like to say that I've spent so much time looking down that I started to gain a respect for the world below me. Anyway, I hate mosquitoes though. Anything that's better at killing Humans than Humans must be given a wide berth.

I hate stink bugs. I swear if you drop them in gasoline they would just swim in it until they got thirsty enough to drink it and then thrive on it :rolleyes:

I would like to add crickets to the list. There's one somewhere in my house right now and it's driving me nuts. I sprayed where I thought it was, but it's still chirping away. It's one of those sounds that bores into the base of the skull like a rusty corkscrew . . . UGH!!!:mad:

Ahahahaha :sweatsmile:lol. You've got a chirping grasshopper in your house.....really?? Thats like an episode out of 'fresh prince of bel air'. Maybe it'll lul you to sleep with a nice tune.

May as well go with the big guns here:

House-Centipede-Joseph-Burger-Bugwood.org-University-of-Georgia.jpg

That's a house centipede. Yes, that's a stupid name. But it's fitting. I've seen alot of these... my mom's house tends to have them fairly constantly.

I swear, I must be just about the only person that isnt bothered by these things. Most people seem to find them absolutely horrifying. Which I can understand... I cant overstate just how big these are. If you were to hold one in your palm, pretty much your entire hand would be covered in insect legs. Also, they are REALLY FAST. Normally when there are bugs around where they shouldnt be, I pick them up and take them outside. But these guys? Nope. There's no point in trying to catch one, they're WAY too fast. They're the fastest-moving insect I'm aware of in my area. Which might be the other reason people dont like them: They're big, they have a million legs, and if they're on the floor, they could be ON YOUR HEAD in a second.

But they're also totally harmless. These things cant hurt you, and they dont actually interfere with anything either. Actually they can help to keep your home free of the sorts of bugs that might actually cause trouble, because they tend to eat those. They're the sort of thing where I know people often want to get them out of the house, but I think it's silly. Just leave them alone, I say.

Though I tend not to be bothered by insects/spiders in general. ....except flies. Because they tend to gravitate towards extremely disgusting/gross things, and then they go and land on everything else. Ugh. It's pretty rare that I find one anywhere though.

May as well go with the big guns here:

View attachment 28591

That's a house centipede. Yes, that's a stupid name. But it's fitting. I've seen alot of these... my mom's house tends to have them fairly constantly.

I swear, I must be just about the only person that isnt bothered by these things. Most people seem to find them absolutely horrifying. Which I can understand... I cant overstate just how big these are. If you were to hold one in your palm, pretty much your entire hand would be covered in insect legs. Also, they are REALLY FAST. Normally when there are bugs around where they shouldnt be, I pick them up and take them outside. But these guys? Nope. There's no point in trying to catch one, they're WAY too fast. They're the fastest-moving insect I'm aware of in my area. Which might be the other reason people dont like them: They're big, they have a million legs, and if they're on the floor, they could be ON YOUR HEAD in a second.

But they're also totally harmless. These things cant hurt you, and they dont actually interfere with anything either. Actually they can help to keep your home free of the sorts of bugs that might actually cause trouble, because they tend to eat those. They're the sort of thing where I know people often want to get them out of the house, but I think it's silly. Just leave them alone, I say.

Though I tend not to be bothered by insects/spiders in general. ....except flies. Because they tend to gravitate towards extremely disgusting/gross things, and then they go and land on everything else. Ugh. It's pretty rare that I find one anywhere though.

Cool insect. You have some weird insects in the USA. Nothing like that here in the UK where it's all simple.

I'm really terrified of butterflies. It's so bad that during a family trip over the summer, I had to quit a hike a quarter of the way through, because all of the butterflies on the trail were making me cry and panic.

There's a few poisonous Snakes in the UK wilds actually, here in Sheffield, apparently there's a few Adders in the spare land situated around the back of the new Sainsbury's on Claywheels Lane.

I'd never go down there and see for myself though, I'm terrified of Snakes in general.

New Threads

Top Bottom