• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which book should I buy?

Which book should I buy?

• Total voters
I chose Gore Vidal, although Last Exit to Brooklyn also looks interesting. I like to know a book's been banned at some point, and The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal ticks a lot of boxes in that respect. Apparently he had to write under a pseudonym for years after it was published, due to refusals to review his subsequent work, and he noted that 'shocked' was the least extreme reaction to it from critics... It was still a crime to have gay sex in the UK in 1948, when it came out, and indeed until 1967.

I know about Gore Vidal from the fact he wrote the original script for Caligula and I’ve watched some interviews with him but I’ve never read any of his books. That’s largely due to the fact no one I knew talked about him until I found out about Caligula. My stepfather disliked him due to him being very liberal in his outlooks and was a fan of his rival, William Buckley, instead.

I only saw the film of last exit to brooklyn, I found some of the sexual themes quite distressing.

I would go with gore vidal - I love his prose. If that is something you are into, it might be worth a go.

@Thinx apropos banned books: salman rushdie? I love a number of postcolonial authors, and he is one of those for me.

For me books are like a drug i take to go to sleep or just tune out for a while. I like fantasy., sci fi wierd stuff. I like charles de lint. I like unlikely dertectives, there is one that has a lady who runs a bakery
The best part is passing them around maybe we should do a thread like book reports or book reviews?

New Threads

Top Bottom