• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which book should I buy?

Which book should I buy?

• Total voters

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
So I have just enough money from buying a present for my friend that can I buy a new book off Amazon. Here's the options and what I'm interested in and why:

Something By Gore Vidal

I heard this guy is a good writer so I want to start reading his works.

The Great Gatsby

Another "I heard it's pretty good." Next.

Last Exit to Brooklyn

Man, I'm a sheep.

I Want My MTV

A history book that takes an inside look at MTV back when they played music videos. The history of music videos in general is also discussed here. I remember reading this as a kid and I barely remember anything and I don't really think I understood much about the topic back then.

If you are open to other things, I would say Homer's Iliad..... It's powerful, beautiful, and the frontrunner of Western Lit and (according to Xenophon) all our thoughts!

If it were me, I wouldn't buy The Great Gatsby.
I'd get it from the library.
Had to read it for school.
Didn't care for it.

I did enjoy Catcher in the Rye.
I've read that several times.
Not as many times as Alice in Wonderland, though.

I chose Gore Vidal, although Last Exit to Brooklyn also looks interesting. I like to know a book's been banned at some point, and The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal ticks a lot of boxes in that respect. Apparently he had to write under a pseudonym for years after it was published, due to refusals to review his subsequent work, and he noted that 'shocked' was the least extreme reaction to it from critics... It was still a crime to have gay sex in the UK in 1948, when it came out, and indeed until 1967.

The only thing I read on your list is The Great Gatsby. It's not exciting, but seemed good to me in a psychological way.

Actually almost only read history, but in fiction The Lord of the Rings is by far my favorite. If you want a shorter start into that world then I would suggest The Hobbit. Both are by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The only thing I read on your list is The Great Gatsby. It's not exciting, but seemed good to me in a psychological way.

Actually almost only read history, but in fiction The Lord of the Rings is by far my favorite. If you want a shorter start into that world then I would suggest The Hobbit. Both are by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Huh. Also a history reader. May I suggest Jeff Shaara for a most interesting reading. He writes history. But, from the perspectives of the leaders and soldiers.

So I have just enough money from buying a present for my friend that can I buy a new book off Amazon. Here's the options and what I'm interested in and why:

Something By Gore Vidal

I heard this guy is a good writer so I want to start reading his works.

The Great Gatsby

Another "I heard it's pretty good." Next.

Last Exit to Brooklyn

Man, I'm a sheep.

I Want My MTV

A history book that takes an inside look at MTV back when they played music videos. The history of music videos in general is also discussed here. I remember reading this as a kid and I barely remember anything and I don't really think I understood much about the topic back then.

Just curious. Are you looking to learn or be entertained?

Huh. Also a history reader. May I suggest Jeff Shaara for a most interesting reading. He writes history. But, from the perspectives of the leaders and soldiers.

I'll keep my eye out for them. I did read his father's book The Killer Angels which was excellent.

Either is fine.

I recommend Halo books. It's based on the game fiction. I've liked most of their books. Halo Flood, Halo Reach, Halo Evolution.
Also the Harry Dresden Files. Both are obviously fiction.
God is my copilot is a good nonfiction book about a real pilot's exploits.

I recommend Halo books. It's based on the game fiction. I've liked most of their books. Halo Flood, Halo Reach, Halo Evolution.
Also the Harry Dresden Files. Both are obviously fiction.
God is my copilot is a good nonfiction book about a real pilot's exploits.
I hate Halo it's a bad version of DOOM

Although I didn't like The Great Gatsby either, I've met many people who loved it and it's considered a classic so perhaps that's the safest choice. I haven't read the others though.

They aren’t on your list but I have some recommendations such as David Brin’s Uplift universe, William Gibson’s Sprawl trilogy as well as his Bridge trilogy, and S. Andrew Swann’s Moreau Quartet. If you want the titles, I can list them out.

They aren’t on your list but I have some recommendations such as David Brin’s Uplift universe, William Gibson’s Sprawl trilogy as well as his Bridge trilogy, and S. Andrew Swann’s Moreau Quartet. If you want the titles, I can list them out.
Before you tell me the titles can you say what you like about those books?

Before you tell me the titles can you say what you like about those books?

Why I like the Uplift universe: It’s a very underrated sci-fi series. In the Uplift universe, it’s generally thought a species can only reach sentience by being “uplifted” by a more advanced one. Humanity has uplifted chimpanzees and dolphins to sentience (or at least close enough) and that gets us noticed by a galactic conglomerate of aliens called the Five Galaxies whose culture is based around the concept of uplift. Unlike Star Trek or Star Wars, humanity is not a ‘leading species’. We are hundreds or even millennia behind many other species and one of the few things that kept us from getting exterminated by a more advanced civilization was the fact we had unknowingly achieved “Patron” status by having two “client” species. However, the fact humanity has no “Patron” baffles many of the different factions of aliens and some even think the claim we naturally evolved is stupid as well as heretical. Fortunately, not all of the aliens hate us. I like how humans aren’t the only Earthlings and the adventures are very gripping. The books were also an inspiration for the Ecco the Dolphin games and David Brin even wrote the story for the last Ecco game.

Why I like the Sprawl trilogy: It more or less got cyberpunk started. It created a lot of the tropes such as hacking through cyberspace, body modification, high-octane violence, and even coined the word Matrix. A lot of William Gibson’s love for Japan is a big part of the trilogy, especially the first and third books. A lot of what you see in Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita, and Eden It’s An Endless World! draws inspiration from these books.

Why I like the Bridge trilogy: It’s still cyberpunk but more near-future than far-future in approach like our own reality is becoming like the one in the Bridge universe.
Reading the books also took me back to my happier days in the 90’s due to the atmosphere of them even though the universe is set in a now alternate vision of 2005. The books have a lot of cerebral moments and a down to Earth feel to them. It also shows more of William Gibson’s love for Japan.

Why I like the Moreau Quartet: It takes place in a far future where genetically modified animals called Moreaus are trying to integrate into human society after being originally used solely for war but they are treated like second class citizens by humans though not nearly as bad as ‘Franks’ (genetically modified and cybernetic humans). It’s interesting to see the cultures of the different races of Moreaus and reflects a lot of social issues without being preachy. Reading it also takes me back to the 90’s.

Last edited:
Why I like the Uplift universe: It’s a very underrated sci-fi series. In the Uplift universe, it’s generally thought a species can only reach sentience by being “uplifted” by a more advanced one. Humanity has uplifted chimpanzees and dolphins to sentience (or at least close enough) and that gets us noticed by a galactic conglomerate of aliens called the Five Galaxies whose culture is based around the concept of uplift. Unlike Star Trek or Star Wars, humanity is not a ‘leading species’. We are hundreds or even millennia behind many other species and one of the few things that kept us from getting exterminated by a more advanced civilization was the fact we had unknowingly achieved “Patron” status by having two “client” species. However, the fact humanity has no “Patron” baffles many of the different factions of aliens and some even think the claim we naturally evolved is stupid as well as heretical. Fortunately, not all of the aliens hate us. I like how humans aren’t the only Earthlings and the adventures are very gripping. The books were also an inspiration for the Ecco the Dolphin games and David Brin even wrote the story for the last Ecco game.

Why I like the Sprawl trilogy: It more or less got cyberpunk started. It created a lot of the tropes such as hacking through cyberspace, body modification, high-octane violence, and even coined the word Matrix. A lot of William Gibson’s love for Japan is a big part of the trilogy, especially the first and third books. A lot of what you see in Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita, and Eden It’s An Endless World! draws inspiration from these books.

Why I like the Bridge trilogy: It’s still cyberpunk but more near-future than far-future in approach like our own reality is becoming like the one in the Bridge universe.
Reading the books also took me back to my happier days in the 90’s due to the atmosphere of them even though the universe is set in a now alternate vision of 2005. The books have a lot of cerebral moments and a down to Earth feel to them. It also shows more of William Gibson’s love for Japan.

Why I like the Moreau Quartet: It takes place in a far future where genetically modified animals called Moreaus are trying to integrate into human society after being originally used solely for war but they are treated like second class citizens by humans though not nearly as bad as ‘Franks’ (genetically modified and cybernetic humans). It’s interesting to see the cultures of the different races of Moreaus and reflects a lot of social issues without being preachy. Reading it also takes me back to the 90’s.

I miss 90s cartoons. So much action!!

From your selection, The Great Gatsby.
It's a classic I hope everyone read at some point. I may re-read next year.

I love Tuesdays with morrie ,it doesnt avoid people who are different it's not about sarcasm or bitterness it's about modern day America so you can understand and don't have to try and learn another belief system ,it's not doom 90% of the time but morrie is dying ,Mitch the narrator isnt .

New Threads

Top Bottom