• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where would YOU live?

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
Let me start off by saying that I was recently thinking about how I passed up the opportunity of having a gorgeous bride shipped in from India ; ]
(whether I was wrong to say no isn?t up for debate in this thread though, I already started one for that topic)

It got me thinking, people do some crazy stuff to live elsewhere?. So, to that end;

Are you happy where you are or could you see yourself moving on?
Providing money was no object, where would you ultimately want to live?
(now, dont say Uranus or Bikini Bottom, it has to be realistic LOL)

And lastly, a curly one, when your time comes, where do you want to be buried?
Would you stay where you drop or be shipped back "home", or will you be scattered somewhere?

Last edited:
What? Bikini Bottom ain't real? :(

Considering I haven't ever moved in my life, I'm likely to move somewhere someday. However, moving a few times in my life might be too much for me.

If money wouldn't be an issue... and with that I assume both rent/buying as well as practical reasons (thus infinite money); I'd be ok living in the middle of a big city, possibly even a place like New york or Tokyo. Because, if money wasn't the issue I could soundproof my place quite easily, if I don't want the hassle of groceries and the like I could have them delivered at home, and the times I really would like to get outside and have some social interaction or even have some fun here or there, those "big" cities at least have something going on. Sometimes I'm bummed out that the city I'm living in now actually sleeps. However; I do sometimes like to get outside during the night for a walk, so that's something I should have to pass on. But if I have a place that's big enough and soundproof I don't mind staying in and holing up on a comfy couch with a book or so.

Another alternative would be single house somewhere remote. But again, infinite money, thus I'd like to have a driver around and obviously also stuff like a grocery delivery service.

There's a few cities that come to mind, but those are more places I'd like to check out, but probably more as a one time thing, without being too "touristy". So I don't know if I actually wanted to live there. Amongst that list is New Orleans (and that area in general), Berlin, Moscow, Mexico city, Venice and Tokyo. But I'm not really a travelling type (nor do I have the money). Haven't been to any of those cities... been to London once, and that's still a city I like a lot.

It's also a question that's coming up a lot now. In the near future (say; now and 2 years) I really have to move out and get a place of my own somewhere. And finding a place, probably still in Holland, is hard as it is, because even at the place I live now I feel rather isolated and creating bigger distances to trainstations and stuff cause I don't drive a car will only isolate me more in that. And obviously the fact that my girlfriend lives up about a 100 miles up north, doesn't really make it easier in that aspect, especially since she also wants to move out sometime... and she's living in a "bigger" city (Amsterdam) that would actually do it for me to some extent.

Also; "how"do I want to live... what kind of house? Ideal situation would be a workshop with an appartment over it. Just so have a big place to create props, do some woodwork, leatherwork, eventually have a forge and try stuff like that out and if I want to relax just go upstairs and chill out on the couch or so. I don't even know if I ever would want to live together with someone, not even sure if that works out. Also; living in an appartment I shouldn't have people live above me or next to me on both sides, that stresses me out to much (I live in a normal house now, which is fairly soundproof)... unless that was so soundproof I could use a jackhammer and not hear it. In my situation now, the cheapest most viable way would be to live in a flat/appartment, but preferably on the top level on the outer edge to minimize sensory issues.

As for burial... I don't have a clue yet. I don't think I want to be buried, nor cremated... I'll have to come up with something else. I rather have them turn me into soylent green, lol.

I think I'd like living in Canada. It's cold, there's beautiful natural landscape, and the people is civilized. However, I've never actually been there.
The thing about moving to other countries is it doesn't only take money. Especially if you're from a developing country. So, I guess I'm stuck here.
And K.O., there are limitations to soundproofing. I got my bedroom set up so I could be comfortable even if I lived inside an airport, but I got disappointed at the final result to say the least.

I think I'd like living in Canada. It's cold, there's beautiful natural landscape, and the people is civilized. However, I've never actually been there.
The thing about moving to other countries is it doesn't only take money. Especially if you're from a developing country. So, I guess I'm stuck here.
And K.O., there are limitations to soundproofing. I got my bedroom set up so I could be comfortable even if I lived inside an airport, but I got disappointed at the final result to say the least.

Soundproofing can be done decently, but that requires a lot of money. Chances are that the start of soundproofing comes with construction of the house and ends with what material you put on walls.

I have some experience and knowledge from being in bands and, talking/visiting producers, using rehearsalrooms... and soundproofing those. I once went looking up ideas for soundproofing the basement of a friend of mine, we ended up thinking about a so-called floating room and looking into those. That works really well for both sound coming in AND going out, as well as keeping acoustics fine. But that required building a frame IN a room and making a smaller room within that frame so there's a big buffer of air in soundproofing it in all 6 directions.

But those rooms usually don't have windows and the like... as for windows, double glazing isn't only for isolation, it's for soundproofing as well. Good doors work, stuff like that. But it's really, really expensive.

Soundproofing can be done decently, but that requires a lot of money. Chances are that the start of soundproofing comes with construction of the house and ends with what material you put on walls.

I have some experience and knowledge from being in bands and, talking/visiting producers, using rehearsalrooms... and soundproofing those. I once went looking up ideas for soundproofing the basement of a friend of mine, we ended up thinking about a so-called floating room and looking into those. That works really well for both sound coming in AND going out, as well as keeping acoustics fine. But that required building a frame IN a room and making a smaller room within that frame so there's a big buffer of air in soundproofing it in all 6 directions.

But those rooms usually don't have windows and the like... as for windows, double glazing isn't only for isolation, it's for soundproofing as well. Good doors work, stuff like that. But it's really, really expensive.

I understand what you meant now. You couldn't do all this in Tokyo, though, unless you have infinite money, that is. What I did was to soundproof the windows of my apartment, which was already built.

Anywhere but here right now, Las Vegas. Were it not for the money I make with my job and the lease on my apartment, I would leave here today. No questions asked.

I tried desperately to leave here before but of all the job offers I got back then, this one was the best. The next best was at Wisconsin and I'd have to take a per-hour wage cut of almost 40%.

I actually really love where we live, it's a quiet village, safe, surrounded by countryside but the larger cities are within easy reach (Cambridge is 20 minutes drive, London an hour). The only thing I would change is our house we need a bigger one but we would stay in this area.

If money etc was no object then I would want to live in Japan, with the same reasons as King_Oni, the only thing I don't like about it is the threat of earthquakes...so maybe...maybe not. I think if money was no object I'd have my main home around this area with it's own cinema attached of course :) and then I'd have a few holiday homes dotted around the world that Id' stay in for a few months at a time.

I live in New York City. It's a nice place to live if you're young or rich...or even better - both young and rich. Sure it's crowded, dirty, loud, touristy, hot and humid in the summer, expensive, full of people who can't speak English, but there's almost everything here.

I would never move to a place without a job or support. Though I think the UK seems like a nice place. Also Western Canada and the Northwest coast of the United States. The forests and coastline there are just gorgeous. New Zealand also seems nice though I have never been there.

Well, I can really only evaluate places I've been to. San Francisco is excellent except for the hills. Chicago isn't for me; New York has the good pizza. :) Kansas City is really underrated. Minneapolis is fine, but nothing special. Toronto is pleasant but dull.

That would leave two world capitals. The obvious one is London - it's great. The not-so-obvious one is Ottawa. It was recently named the best place to live in Canada, and there's a really good chance that they're right.

Still want to check out: Paris, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Montreal, and Nashville.

I recently moved into this bigger city. I hate it. The only thing that scares me more than the cops do is the massive amount of criminals. Everyone is rude, nobody knows anybody else. Not a single person up here knows how to go fishing, hunting, or how to jack up a truck. In this city guns are weapons, where I come from guns are tools.

I just want to move back to my hometown. Population of 350 people. I know everybody in that town. Everyone is polite, has a smile, and a warm greeting. I know exactly who drives by my house just by the sound of their truck :) a trip to the local bar is about an hour long. 10 minutes to get the food, 50 minutes spent talking to the local bar owner.

Unfortunatly, their aren't any careers in my hometown. The only businesses there are a bar and a gas station. But all I want in life is to move back to that great little town :D

So I guess it is my turn now.

I am actually in the process of moving to a house in the same town I am in now. I have always wanted to live here, it is my hometown despite that it has been overrun by no hopers and criminals (hasn’t everywhere though), I have lived elsewhere in Australia but I always come back here like I am attached to the place at a molecular level.

If I had plenty of cash at the ready I would most happily move to and live for a while in, Japan or Ireland, but if I was close to death I would come back here to be buried. I also would have to be shipped back here if I died elsewhere I think. I don’t have an explanation as to why I feel so strongly about this and I can’t pass it off as an aspergical thing.

I think that you must feel as though you are from there, that you belong there, that it is your home. I do not know what that feeling is like.

We moved often when I was growing up, and I changed schools nearly every year. There is no place I am from, and I've always wondered what if felt like to be FROM someplace. When people ask me where I am from, I never know how to respond. Nowhere? Everywhere? I think that is one reason why my Aspergers may have been so difficult to see, because I always WAS an outsider, quite literally.

Bay, I empathize that you feel you didn’t have a place to belong, I actually also never felt I belonged even here where I feel I have roots, I think I may just have always assumed that this was a stable place because I left it at about age 10 and over the years it became this sort of magical spot where I would always be happy if I ever went back there (here).
I swapped schools a lot, was kept back because of it and later raised back up a grade because I showed my smarts, which didn’t help socially.

Just between you and me, I think your life is really grand because you can pick any place in the world and if you get bored you can just up stumps and move on.
Maybe you guys could even move to Australia ; ]

Bay, I empathize that you feel you didn’t have a place to belong, I actually also never felt I belonged even here where I feel I have roots, I think I may just have always assumed that this was a stable place because I left it at about age 10 and over the years it became this sort of magical spot where I would always be happy if I ever went back there (here).
I swapped schools a lot, was kept back because of it and later raised back up a grade because I showed my smarts, which didn’t help socially.

Just between you and me, I think your life is really grand because you can pick any place in the world and if you get bored you can just up stumps and move on.
Maybe you guys could even move to Australia ; ]

I would love that! Australia seems to be like having a distant cousin that you really like but hardly ever get to see. Family obligations keep me here for the present, however.

It's funny you mention something about picking up and leaving, because I find that to be a newcomer is actually easier than maintaining relationships in one place for years at a time. Also, there is something exhilarating about trying to learn to get around a new place, trying to "crack the code" of an area I don't know. It dovetails with the anthropologist in me that I have had to have to figure out how to function IRL.

Where would I live?

Newcastle-upon-Tyne with more sun, or Newcastle, NSW. Heck, you may not know wwhere's Newcastle though.

What about this instead:

Los Angeles without the dust and with tons of money.

Because Los Angeles has perfect sunny weather (there had never been rain-outs in Dodgers games for years and years), perfect-looking beachside suburbs, perfect Hollywood glam, perfect Orange County aerospace and service ka-ching, and perhaps, Watts, the best-looking ghetto that had ever been built (or decayed). (Sarcasm intended)

To me, any town like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Fresno, Modesto or Sacramento are like LA without the sea access, and San Francisco, Seattle and Portland are LAs with the rain. Oh, there's San Diego, but to my impressions, the beaches are actually naval bases. Ok... It's another sort of beautiful.

On the East Coast, I mean, from Texas through Florida to New England, the weather is less perfect.

The Third Coast from Minnesota to Buffalo, NY can be a little cold for my liking, too.

But if I were to live somewhere, it will have to be one of those places hopefully:

University Park/Minnesota Twin Cities/Madison: Great graduate studies, great sports, and an overall high quality of life with beer and parties
Detroit: Urban prairies, lots which I can develop as 'the economic hub of the future'
Buffalo: Home to the Bulls, Bills, Sabres and New Era Cap Company
NYC: The Big Apple.
Chicago: Windy City.
Indianapolis: Conferences and Colts.
Ohio: Boot of Michigan. Oops.
Boston: Harvard, MIT and 50 other colleges, maybe more
Baltimore, Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia: Good Southern Hip Hop and college basketball.
Florida, Alabama, Lousiana, Texas, Oklahoma: Good college football, perhaps not-so-good Hip Hop, but well, they got rock or jazz

Maine isn't a bad state, but with cold weather like this during this time of year, Hawaii sounds a lot better. lol I guess it doesn't have to be Hawaii, but I wouldn't mind moving somewhere warmer. Still, this is a beautiful state, and I can't picture my family moving anytime soon.

Thinking about it:

Everywhere, especially Singapore

If you have a special talent that deals with the High Net Wealth Individuals (esp. Art, Music and Cooking), which many Aspies can do well, as well as the superb Engineering schools in Singapore, talented Aspies can definitely do well in Singapore and our region, if we put our hearts to what we do.

Keep on working on our skills. I am sure the route Singaporean users like 190 takes is a good one.

@Evanze:

If you're going to Canada, it'd be great.

How about San Francisco? It's got more games and more fun :)

I am actually seriously looking at joining the gaming industry, I have an internship interview this Wednesday. But I don't know if that sector will get me enough money to provide for myself and my future family, Singapore isn't exactly very supportive of the gaming industry in general.

New Threads

Top Bottom