• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When should someone seek a diagnosis for a learning disability? Poll.

Is it worth it?

• Yes, it will give you the closure you desire. Sure, it's expensive but worth it.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Only if you can get services, otherwise that's a lot of money just for the sake of closure.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, you probably won't get any help. You don't need to know for sure anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please comment below).

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
I am curious to hear people's opinions on this. Personally, I have struggled with basic arithmetic for most of my life, my friends and family suspect that I have dyscalculia, and whenever I've read into it I've found myself relating to the symptoms, and some online tips I once found for dyscalculic students were quite helpful to me.

But, I do sometimes doubt if I should pursue a diagnosis. I am in University, but they cannot cover the cost of a diagnosis because the course I am doing does not have enough maths in to warrant funding such a test. Typical cost can vary between £300 to £500, but some are cheaper or more expensive depending. I'll be living in student accommodation, so I'll also have to pay rent and cover food costs.

Should I get a diagnosis? Please vote in the poll and/or comment. Thank you. :) I apologise if this is posted in the wrong section, I wasn't sure whether to put this here or if it should be in the "off topic" area.

Last edited:
I think it’s worth pursuing diagnosis if you want to receive treatment or really want to know. It’s not a necessity, but it can be helpful.

Whatever closure you might get, or what that might be worth is something only you can guess at.

You seem to imply that if you were taking a more mathematical course the university would pay for a diagnosis, I'm guessing that there would be significant help available in that case. Would the same help be available for you taking the course you are? It would help us to know what help you would get if you had a positive diagnosis.

Whatever closure you might get, or what that might be worth is something only you can guess at.

You seem to imply that if you were taking a more mathematical course the university would pay for a diagnosis, I'm guessing that there would be significant help available in that case. Would the same help be available for you taking the course you are? It would help us to know what help you would get if you had a positive diagnosis.

If I was doing a course that was more mathematical, they could justify funding the diagnostic process and offer a supporting member of staff to assist me if it came back that I have dyscalculia. However, due to the fact that I am not doing such a course, any testing would have to be done privately and on my own terms.

They do offer what they refer to as "study skill sessions" which I believe are open to anyone (with or without a diagnosis) but are largely aimed at dyslexic individuals, although they do also cover other subjects besides English such as maths. I would feel a bit out of place going to these sessions without a diagnosis even though it is technically allowed, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to knowledge of yourself. That is expensive though. Do what you feel is best.

If it's something that has caused you hardship in your life and will bring you help or closure, then yes, I probably would do it if I were in your position, but whether it's worth the expense or not is something that you need to decide, I can't answer that for you.

If the university doesn't require you to have a diagnosis to take advantage of study skill sessions then I don't think you should require it of yourself. If they're offering help with maths it's probably because they want their students to have help with maths if they need it, that sounds like it might be you. They're not funding the diagnosis and I might guess that they have more money than you do, you should not feel obliged in order to take what help they offer in spite of them not funding it, they've arranged it that way because they want it used that way.

And so far as the diagnosis for your own use goes, how you feel about it I can't say. I might feel about it much as I feel about being an aspie. I don't much care what it's called, there are some things that I want to know about because it helps me in some way, those things that apply to me, and would if you called me an aspie or not. Anyone with the applicable traits can use the information about those traits. If you've used tips for dyscalculic people and they've worked for you, great. I'd look for more, and whatever information you find that helps you, use it, regardless of what labels somebody may think apply.

Do what it takes to succeed in your course, use the university to do it, that's what it's there for.

New Threads

Top Bottom