• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When mental health providers are less than supportive

D'Andre

With adult ASD being so hard to diagnosis, and incredibly expensive, has anyone here had push back or down playing from mental health providers? I paid hundreds for an evaluation(which I know now requires so much more), the guy said I have it, he didn't include it on the report and my providers (which are state funded) treated me like I'm confusing depression and PTSD. They didnt agree with the report in general.I feel like I have to prove being ME and its really wearing me out. Its the fact that they really don't know but don't appear to want to help me find answers, they're just tolerating my inquiry. Its starting to piss me off. They see me maybe twice a month and think they know me.

Indeed, obtaining a diagnosis can be challenging, but for many, finding support professionals with experience in ASD support can be an even greater challenge.

We've only in the past decade or so started to see medical schools and teacher's colleges acknowledge the spectrum, and so there are many professionals out there who are oblivious to it at best, and have serious misunderstandings at worse.

Counseling is highly varied in the training required, and I've had my experiences with being misunderstood.

I wish you the best in your journey.

Indeed, obtaining a diagnosis can be challenging, but for many, finding support professionals with experience in ASD support can be an even greater challenge.

We've only in the past decade or so started to see medical schools and teacher's colleges acknowledge the spectrum, and so there are many professionals out there who are oblivious to it at best, and have serious misunderstandings at worse.

Counseling is highly varied in the training required, and I've had my experiences with being misunderstood.

I wish you the best in your journey.
Those words are so comforting to me. Sharing such a personal issue is not comfortable for me THANK YOU!

Just in the past two years we've finally seen a turning the tone of books on autism finally start to shift. Books by autistic authors on the autistic neurotype. Unmasking Autism and Uniquely Human are among the newest and best. Divergent Mind is another good one, although it is a couple years old. Neurotribes is the history of autism as a whole and is pretty much cannon for the neurotype, but it is heavy reading.

I’ve had a problem with my psychiatrist downplaying side effects I had from medication. I would complain about side effects and he would either refer me to an counseling group or prescribe more medication to combat the side effects, which gave me more side effects. I was in a very bad place mentally, so I couldn’t advocate for myself as well as I should have. I ended up getting so frustrated I weaned myself off all meds. My psychiatrist told me I shouldn’t have done that because it needs to be done under medical supervision. Well, I’m a doctor. I did a psych internship. I know what I’m doing.

Anyway, it’s two years later now and I have decided to start medication (a different medication) again, but this time my psychiatrist (the same one as before) is letting me take the lead and discussing side effects with me every step of the way, asking me whether I am willing to accept said side effect or not.

I was fortunate here. I got my diagnosis from a very good person. Then, a decade later as PTSD was interfering with the relationship with my spouse I found a practice that was both skilled with ASD and PTSD. The guidance I have been receiving in CPT is valuable.

I’ve had a problem with my psychiatrist downplaying side effects I had from medication. I would complain about side effects and he would either refer me to an counseling group or prescribe more medication to combat the side effects, which gave me more side effects. I was in a very bad place mentally, so I couldn’t advocate for myself as well as I should have. I ended up getting so frustrated I weaned myself off all meds. My psychiatrist told me I shouldn’t have done that because it needs to be done under medical supervision. Well, I’m a doctor. I did a psych internship. I know what I’m doing.

Anyway, it’s two years later now and I have decided to start medication (a different medication) again, but this time my psychiatrist (the same one as before) is letting me take the lead and discussing side effects with me every step of the way, asking me whether I am willing to accept said side effect or not.
Good for you! You know your body and you are protecting it!

I was fortunate here. I got my diagnosis from a very good person. Then, a decade later as PTSD was interfering with the relationship with my spouse I found a practice that was both skilled with ASD and PTSD. The guidance I have been receiving in CPT is valuable.
That's wonderful!

My personal experience with every therapist I have seen since turning 18 is that they just want to solve all of your problems in less than three sessions.

I get that insurance doesn't pay therapists much but is that really my fault? Just flat out tell me you don't think you'll be of any use to me so I won't waste time with you.

My personal experience with every therapist I have seen since turning 18 is that they just want to solve all of your problems in less than three sessions.

I get that insurance doesn't pay therapists much but is that really my fault? Just flat out tell me you don't think you'll be of any use to me so I won't waste time with you.
Exactly!

New Threads

Top Bottom