• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When did everyone receive their diagnosis??? (If you are diagnosed)

First diagnosis of something reportedly along the lines of 'mild autism' in 1985 or 1986, during primary school at age 6 or 7. Didn't help - rather, made my life hellish because my ostensibly educated parents decided to try to reprogram me and basically forced me into the opposite of everything that would have made my life tolerable.

Second diagnosis in 2013 at age 33, after several of what I now know where autistic burnouts and many instances of conventional wisdom of how to cope falling flat.

5 day ago... I’m 19. Tier 1 ASD though basically just aspergers, dunno why they made aspergers and autism into an ASD spectrum. I feel like aspergers is different than functional ASD in how it manifests, but there are similarities.

I was diagnosed with HFA at the age of 37. My son was diagnosed at 2 with classic autism.

I was diagnosed at 11, although my parents sought a diagnosis when I was 7 and I didn’t get one (mind you these were both the same person)

Age 60 in 2014. I was misdiagnosed as a sociopath in 1991 when I went to treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction. I had struggled all of my, but the diagnosis was the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place and everything made sense. It changed my self-care routine and approach to life.

I think when you've been diagnosed late in life, as I have, some of the biggest frustrations are trying to explain to someone or someones we are close to that we are not the person they always thought we were. We've hidden things so well and have had so many years that we've learned how to get by that other's are unable to see any problem because we've done it.
They've always seen our guirkiness "but everyone has some quirkiness". I've heard - "But you are empathetic" (I'm compassionate, don't think I'm really empathetic). "You're not THAT smart" (ok, thank you.) "You're not obsessed with any one thing" (that you know of).

I think the person that most disappoints me is my oldest sister because I've always tried to talk to her about things I felt and how I felt different and stuff. In the past I have told her how I hated at work feeling like I was guilty of something and trying to not be caught but didn't know what I was afraid of being caught at. (once diagnosed realized it was fear of being found out who I really was because I didn't know who I was or why I didn't belong on this earth). I've told her about feeling like I was in a box that kept me from doing things and how I would freeze or not be able to get out of my car when I was traveling, or how anxious I was around ANYone and didn't like going to other people's houses, eating the same foods, watching the same shows, needing to do the same things. Everything I've told her in the past was finally explained through my diagnosis and she still would not accept it. I used to bore her to tears - I'd follow her around the house telling something while she probably was trying to get away. Oh, she also questioned that I did have friends. Neighbor and school mate, Val - I never liked her and she never liked me but we were forced to spend time together. High school friend, Cheri - we became friends because I didn't want her to beat me up. Later in high school I did have a friend that I spent more time there than at home - she was an adult. Cousins are forced friends. Lived in Alaska, Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Montana, Michigan, and other places and never even met a neighbor. Lived in Kernersville for 20 years and most people didn't like me, but I did have 1 friend. (We lost touch though). Moved here and have no idea how to make a friend of people my age and had talked to her about how frustrating it was moving somewhere and not being able to make a friend. And now when I tell her anything about myself she automatically goes to - "Oh everyone does that to a certain extent".

Now she humors me basically, but I HAVE found that if she calls and I'm wanting to get off the phone but don't know how to end a call, I can start talking about the autism and she'll soon say she needs to go. :) I like having that tool to get off the phone, but it's still frustrating that the one person who I thought knew me the best will not accept my diagnosis as an explanation for all the things I've ever told her.
Funny, my kids had no problem believing me - but they lived with me. lol

What have others diagnosed later in life experienced in reactions of others?

Not formally diagnosed. However I learned very quickly to universally keep my neurological profile on a "need-to-know" basis only.

Having told my brother who miraculously seemed to understand and relate. And a cousin who chooses not to, even with a medical insurance background. And a friend who seemed to go along with it, but not really understand it.

Too many variables involved. With a possibility of permanently alienating those closest to you with no guarantee of a positive outcome. Where yes indeed if you start to discuss autism or display a known autistic trait, they're just likely to run- and not merely walk away from you.

All because you chose to "let the cat out of the bag". Even if and when it involves your own kin. o_O

That's why I don't try talking to anyone about it. It mostly causes more problems than it's worth. Unless they have to know, I won't disclose the information.

New Threads

Top Bottom