• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's Your IQ? (Free-IQTest)

When I was diagnosed, eight years ago, I was given the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence test (WASI). My score was 135. I have taken several online tests and they always score higher. This leads me to believe that the online tests are not very accurate when compared to the test that the doctor gave me.

Took this test tired once. Got 132
Took it once when awake and got 145
Taken another online one and got 122
A year ago we did one in class and got 157.

Especially with the tests like this with only 20 questions, guessing one right or wrong can easily alter your score by 10 points or so. Wouldn't believe them too much

Edit: also with the word ones, being a native English speaker gives you a lead in this compared to people that have it as a second/third etc. language

Edit: also with the word ones, being a native English speaker gives you a lead in this compared to people that have it as a second/third etc. language
The same is true for different dialects of English. You can be an intelligent person and not have been exposed to the vocabulary that the test-writers think is "important"

I didn't take this particular test. I've taken both the WAIS III and IV and the Stanford-Binet II and III. My average score was 167, but I don't think it matters much. "Intelligent" is as intelligent does, and I know a lot of tragic underachievers who belong to MENSA and other "High IQ" societies, myself included. That's why I don't waste money on membership anymore. The most interesting people I've met are all over the scale, and a lot of people who flaunt their IQs (I don't mean by answering a question, like here) are lacking in other areas. Humility and compassion top the list. ;)

IQ is mostly about capacity, anyway. I could learn volumes every day for the rest of my life and still know nothing compared to what's left that I'll never get to. And since that's true for everybody....

I did this test once, I do not remember how much I got. I remember that I did not know what "twig" meant. Now I know, it means "brindille".

I like the idea of being able to measure intelligence. Doing well on such test may boost one's self-esteem, and possibly even enhance one's curiosity toward intellectual pursuits.

Doing good on a IQ test, means performing well at answering its questions. The score is an evaluation of that performance. But it doesn't test creativity, or 'thinking outside the box' much (divergent thinking). A test that test creativity wouln't be as marketable as yet another intelligence test, beside being more controversial.

Doing good on a IQ test, means performing well at answering its questions. The score is an evaluation of that performance. But it doesn't test creativity, or 'thinking outside the box' much (divergent thinking). A test that test creativity wouln't be as marketable as yet another intelligence test, beside being more controversial.

I agree on all points.

I like the idea of being able to measure intelligence. Doing well on such test may boost one's self-esteem, and possibly even enhance one's curiosity toward intellectual pursuits.

I like the idea of being able to do it, too. I was even a proctor for the MENSA test for a while in one city where I lived. It's interesting stuff. And I do think it can be a form of encouragement, at least sometimes.

For a long time having a high IQ really meant something to me, I think probably because I felt it was proof I was worth something and had potential when I didn't feel very good about myself otherwise. But looking back on my childhood, being tested and scoring highly was more of a curse than a blessing. My pediatrician attributed my autism-related issues to being eccentric because I was "gifted", and I think I suffered for that. It also raised everyone's expectations of me unrealistically. Nobody around me really understood what it really meant and the assumptions they made were oppressive at times. Things like my actual stage of cognitive and emotional development weren't adequately taken into account. It also made me feel more pathetic when I couldn't seem to achieve age-graded, normative things like finishing college or finding a career I could stick with and thrive in. I always beat myself up with, "If you're so smart, why can't you do anything?" It took a long time to break that.

I guess like everything, it's a double-edged sword. It's all in how key people (including the individual) handle the information. That's a gamble.

Last edited:
I like the idea of be able to do it, too. I was even a proctor for the MENSA test for a while in one city where I lived. It's interesting stuff. And I do think it can be a form of encouragement, at least sometimes.

Ohh :oops: I'm sorry if what I wrote (I like the idea of being able...) made you think that I did, in some ways, measure other peoples' intelligence. What I meant was, that I liked the idea that is was possible for someone to have his/her intelligence measured (in some ways). What I should have written instead was, I think : I like the idea that one can get his/her intelligence measured.
There's a lot of diversity in the ways someone's potential can express itself. What may seem like genius for some people may seem like something futile, a waste of time, a confusing idea/result/activity for others. Having something 'tangible', like an IQ score (that the average person may accept 'as is', without asking for the details), that one can tell others about, may help these persons accept that the person does not delude himself/herself in thinking about/doing something that them, those persons, can't (even?) begin to comprehend. It's a label that can help make others take someone more seriously, instead of judging him/her as a pretentious prat. It's better to boast than to get humiliated.

I have a different perspective than yours. When I was younger, I thought I was smart because I was able to program computers. But it didn't occur to me then that I was able to program computers because I was smart. I am considered more intelligent by others now, than when I was a kid. I can't believe anymore that I am dumb, but it doesn't mean that I believe myself to be extremely intelligent. The middle ground is somewhere, and a IQ test is a good tool to find it I think.

Ohh :oops: I'm sorry if what I wrote (I like the idea of being able...) made you think that I did, in some ways, measure other peoples' intelligence. What I meant was, that I liked the idea that is was possible for someone to have his/her intelligence measured (in some ways). What I should have written instead was, I think : I like the idea that one can get his/her intelligence measured.

I understood what you meant. I only mentioned my time as a test proctor as confirmation that I can see value and fascination in testing, for those that choose to do it or have it done for their child. I wanted to make sure that the part that came afterwards didn't read like I think it's always a bad idea.

It's a label that can help make others take someone more seriously, instead of judging him/her as a pretentious prat.

I agree with the "taking more seriously" part, but from my own observation, I have found that the best way to guarantee that someone will think you're a pretentious prat is to tell them you have a high IQ. :D I'd never raise the issue myself except in a conversation like this that's specifically asking for it.

I have a different perspective than yours. When I was younger, I thought I was smart because I was able to program computers. But it didn't occur to me then that I was able to program computers because I was smart. I am considered more intelligent by others now, than when I was a kid. I can't believe anymore that I am dumb, but it doesn't mean that I believe myself to be extremely intelligent. The middle ground is somewhere, and a IQ test is a good tool to find it I think.

I see what you're saying. I can't argue that testing can't help a person's self-concept and self-esteem in many cases. Like I said, it did for me when I needed it.

I guess I look at IQ testing as I do voluntary testing to see if you have the gene for a certain disease. Don't do it if you aren't sure that you will be able to handle the answer well. :p

Last edited:
...I have found that the best way to guarantee that someone will think you're a pretentious prat is to tell them you have a high IQ. :D I'd never raise the issue myself except in a conversation like this that's specifically asking for it.

Right, agree.

I've also seen IQ (points) treated like money [and I may have even said it here before] in that it doesn't matter unless you don't have any. IQ is a sort of construct like money, but having a high IQ [or a lot of money] can make people want to attribute other characteristics to you, and "open doors"... even though neither money nor IQ are a guarantee of much.

l154.gif

Not even close to my measured IQ - I tested out only in the high average range on an "official" WAIS test back in high school.

This one was fun to take, but I hope no one in here is taking any online test seriously. It's nothing but a number, that's all.

I guess I look at IQ testing as I do voluntary testing to see if you have the gene for a certain disease. Don't do it if you aren't sure that you will be able to handle the answer well. :p

Better to be silly than having disease scores. :confused:

I've also seen IQ (points) treated like money [and I may have even said it here before] in that it doesn't matter unless you don't have any. IQ is a sort of construct like money, but having a high IQ [or a lot of money] can make people want to attribute other characteristics to you, and "open doors"... even though neither money nor IQ are a guarantee of much.

Like money, a high IQ score may be used as a social signal, to separate the 'nobility' from the rest of the population. But the life experiences of two persons with a similar high quotient may be way more dissimilar than the kind of experiences two wealthy persons may have because of what their wealth enables them to live.
But IQ as money can be used to reason about one's health. Addiction can lower the IQ, and being in shape can increase it. It's used as a synonym for intelligence. Where intelligence seems like an abstract characteristic, IQ materialize the characteristic. It become something that one possess instead of a part of one's being, something that one can lose. It reduces something subjective to a number, something people can rationalize about.

I understood what you meant.

Ohh :oops:, it means, that, that I misunderstood myself. :eek:

Last edited:
I scored 110, imo it's right. I think people with Aspergers have more of a normal IQ, then an above average IQ. I also think that our brains processing system, processes info to come to the same answer in most circumstances as a normal persons brain, but can also think outside the box as well. This makes people with Aspergers more valuable as an asset at solving problems that at times, will stump the average persons brain, imo.

I really, really don't think IQ matters. It's just a silly number and there's far more nuance to intelligence than IQ - and multiple forms of intelligence. Some people are more artistic, some are more naturalistic, and some are more methodical.

Verbal skills, vocabulary, active knowledge about a subject and learned skills can all add to someone's intelligence. I think nowadays we like to attempt to quantify everything or explain it with genetics/'biology'. But there's so much more. And I believe that attempting to flat out number it does a disservice to the diversity of intelligence.

I really, really don't think IQ matters. It's just a silly number and there's far more nuance to intelligence than IQ - and multiple forms of intelligence. Some people are more artistic, some are more naturalistic, and some are more methodical.

Verbal skills, vocabulary, active knowledge about a subject and learned skills can all add to someone's intelligence. I think nowadays we like to attempt to quantify everything or explain it with genetics/'biology'. But there's so much more. And I believe that attempting to flat out number it does a disservice to the diversity of intelligence.
Hans Asperger noted that IQ tests seemed especially useless for his patients, since we tend to have larger differences in ability between different skills. As I recall, Lorna Wing even proposed that as a diagnostic criterion, although I may be remembering wrong.

l140.gif

Every time I complete one of these on the internet I get a completely different score, but usually it's never as close as this to my previous attempt (139 above).

New Threads

Top Bottom