• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your favorite number and why?

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Curious...

Figured this was an appropriate question for this thread because according to the list on the main forum page, this is the 2000th thread in this forum. ;)

I think I read that aspies are more likely to have emotional associations with certain numbers, and I do, so curious if others do, too.

Having synesthesia, I have feelings towards certain numbers if they are colors that I like or don't like, but I also feel certain...I don't know...energies, about certain numbers.

Thoughts?

[QUOTE="DogwoodTree, post: 164128, member: 11539"

Sidetracking slightly but about your comment on synesthesia, I understand what you mean. My daughter has Synesthesia and she never liked the name James, no offense whatsoever to anyone called James. She realized it was because she didn't like the colour of James (a dirty purple colour). Although she hasn't said, I am sure as a result of her synesthesia, she has the same adversity to numbers as you describe

[QUOTE="DogwoodTree, post: 164128, member: 11539"

Sidetracking slightly but about your comment on synesthesia, I understand what you mean. My daughter has Synesthesia and she never liked the name James, no offense whatsoever to anyone called James. She realized it was because she didn't like the colour of James (a dirty purple colour). Although she hasn't said, I am sure as a result of her synesthesia, she has the same adversity to numbers as you describe

That's interesting...I actually like the colors in the name James, but the "energy" in it seems to loop back in on itself. I don't know how else to explain it. There are some important people in my life with the name James, either as a first or middle name, so I have a fondness for the name. But it took me a while to get used to it.

If I had to pick one, I think it would be zero, maybe just because it's mathematically important for lots of reasons. And, of course, we would all like to get a big check with lots of zeroes in it. ;)

My second favorite number would probably be three (possibly my first favorite depending on what mood I'm in) because of the various ways that it's symbolically important (also because it seems to me more fluid and dynamic than the more "square" and "stable" number four).

I like 7, it brings to my mind a sensation of power and defiance. (Hey, everyone have their own perception haha)

I think I read that aspies are more likely to have emotional associations with certain numbers, and I do, so curious if others do, too.

3, 9, & 27
I always liked 3 as a kid - I stim in multiples of 3.
I later developed a fondness for 9 for the same reason, then realised that 3 cubed is 27 & I was born on 27th Feb.
Interesting! I wonder what the emotional component is?

1729 as it is the smallest number that can be expressed as a sum of two cubes, in tow different ways ! :)

I'm told that many ASD people perform compulsive actions (ie:checking the front door's locked) in 3's!
I'm also not too keen on 4, 7 & particularly 8.. o_O

4 is the lucky number (been so since I was 4. heck if I know why. I apparently liked Brett Farve a lot as kid too.), 7 and 11 to some extent, 13 (Final Fantasy XIII, tbh.), and 24 (all 4 people I fell in love with in HS had their birthdays in the 24th of their respectively birthday month. And then on top of that the months were April (4,) march (3), july (7,) and August (8.) and 8-4 = 4, and 7-3 = 4. So it was a huge number thing I couldn't stopped seeing similarities in tbh. Plus it had the number four, and 2*2 = 4 (for some reason I thought that was cool. Since 2 was, well, the first number of 24.) 24 is basically my second lucky number.

To counteract the fact 24 was so darn awesome, I gave 2 special characters birthday days on the 1st of Oct, and Nov, since my birthday is on Oct 1st. So kinda 1 too, but just for birthdays.

I also like 2 as it is the only even prime and as 1 is often described as not being a "proper" prime" it is also the first prime.

At the risk of being told to shut up because I am boring people (usually NT's who think I am showing off) 1729 is also a Carmichael number.

It satisfies the relationship shown in Fermat's little theorem that for any prime P and any integer b, b ^ P - b is a integer multiple of p however 1729 is composite.

Sorry, I like pure maths, its one of my subjects that its hard to shut me up about. :rolleyes:
I'll shut up now and rock in the corner :)

11, 4 and 14. They show up way to often in my life for mere chance.

Interesting, there's a belief in Numerology that recurring numbers are drawing your attention to something.. there's also a crossover to psychology in that regard, so they may have meaning to you scientifically or spiritually.
Is there any reason you listed them as 11, 4 & 14?
I prefer mine in ascending order due to age of discovery, I suppose. :)

Interesting, there's a belief in Numerology that recurring numbers are drawing your attention to something.. there's also a crossover to psychology in that regard, so they may have meaning to you scientifically or spiritually.
Is there any reason you listed them as 11, 4 & 14?
I prefer mine in ascending order due to age of discovery, I suppose. :)

The frequency they occur is that order.

Some did some numerology on them for me a long while back, don't remember much of it to be honest. I was born on the 11th in '54, 14=5 plus 4, something like that. All my girlfriends have birthdays on the 11th, 4th or 14th, and, no I didn't know before going out with them. My youngest daughter was born on the 4th, her brother on the 14th and their mother is a 4th. I got my decree nisi (divorce) through on a 4th, started my company on the 11th April which is also my fathers birthday. My mother was born on the 14th Nov, 14-11. And so on and so on....

11 is a big one for me too. 11:11 and 1:11 even on license plates and addresses. It's not always directly 11. But the sum of the numbers. Like 1622- 1+6+2+2=11

Im like that with 5 and 7. My birthday is the 5 Jully 1997. My phome number includes two 7's and two 5's and those numbers seems to apear everywhere. I guess its because i tend to just notice them in everything

New Threads

Top Bottom