• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your autism "elevator pitch"?

"I have Asperger's, which is a form of High Functioning Autism. It is very mild, & mostly makes me quirky."

Or I say nothing at all...

why bother telling someone unless they need to know or you believe they would understand?

I am trying to only tell people on a need-to-know basis. But I guess the point you're raising is - sure, go ahead and tell people who need to know and who would be understanding, but why tell anyone that won't listen to anything more than an elevator pitch?

And the answer is ... I don't know. The elevator pitch is a hypothetical exercise right now. Maybe it's meant to stay hypothetical.

I can see situations where the elevator pitch could be useful. Like in a crisis situation.

I don't have an elevator pitch, by the way. Wish I did, though.

I am trying to only tell people on a need-to-know basis. But I guess the point you're raising is - sure, go ahead and tell people who need to know and who would be understanding, but why tell anyone that won't listen to anything more than an elevator pitch?

And the answer is ... I don't know. The elevator pitch is a hypothetical exercise right now. Maybe it's meant to stay hypothetical.
An awesome personal coach in my life has told me I never have to explain myself to anyone. She said over explaining can complicate situations. Sometimes it is great to have an answer that does not explain but ends the questioning of the inquisitive person. Maybe instead of elevator pitch, you need elevator deterrent, like separating a cockroach with Raid. She told me this not in regard to autism but in regarding explaining too much to correct misunderstandings or arguments. It has lessened my stress and it actually brings way less attention to the problem and then the problem dies out.

My first impulse would be to tell them to Google it. But I know that would be wrong, not helpful, but I have to do all my own research so why don’t they go and leave me alone.
I know I’m missing the point but an elevator?

I know I’m missing the point but an elevator?
Because they said they chose elevator because you are on an elevator a very short span of time. You would have to give a quick answer no longer than an elevator ride. It is an analogy to the shortness of the answer instead of saying an answer in 30 seconds or less.

Because they said they chose elevator because you are on an elevator a very short span of time. You would have to give a quick answer no longer than an elevator ride. It is an analogy to the shortness of the answer instead of saying an answer in 30 seconds or less.

Don't forget the element of a "captive audience" too. No place to retreat to in an elevator until the doors reopen. Optimal circumstances for one's best sales pitch.

But to accurately explain autism? That could be a very long ride. :eek:

I know but the image of being “stuck” in an elevator with such a question, and then there was an image of Raid and a cockroach and...well...my head exploded!
I know I should shut up if I don’t have anything helpful to add to a topic, but I just couldn’t help myself.

"It's nothing you need to concern yourself with, I'm just saying is all."

Something like that, because a common reaction I seem to get from NTs is a little bit of panic about what to do, as in "what do I do with that information? Do I try to help him? How?"

That little "it's nothing you need to worry about" lets them know I can handle myself, that I don't need anything from them, that I'm just disclosing for the heck of it (because I can't see any reason to disclose, I'm seeing this more as a somebody-finds-out sort of situation).

...over explaining can complicate situations. Sometimes it is great to have an answer that does not explain but ends the questioning of the inquisitive person... ...in regarding explaining too much to correct misunderstandings or arguments. It has lessened my stress and it actually brings way less attention to the problem and then the problem dies out.

This can be a good thing to do, depending on the situation. I've tried to get close to a person who said something similar many times, and it was poisonous. If the problem is minor and a one-off, this may be a sensible approach, but sometimes a problem is the result of something that needs fixing, and if the thing is not fixed then there will be a series of problems. That thing may most easily be addressed by getting to the root of one of these seemingly minor problems, so while I wouldn't say that your coach's approach is always bad, a strict policy of that approach might be. Sometimes problems will go away without being fixed; a friend who gets shut down when they try to talk to you about your quirks may well no longer be a friend you have to worry about communicating with.

Obviously there are many different levels of understanding we want to try to attain in different situations. I doubt anyone will come up with an answer that would always be good.

Don't forget the element of a "captive audience" too. No place to retreat to in an elevator until the doors reopen. Optimal circumstances for one's best sales pitch.

But to accurately explain autism? That could be a very long ride. :eek:

So, what if I push the Emergency Stop button? Then I've got a captive audience and all the time I want!

Ask how much they know so far.

Usually answered with “rainman?”
Or (a female asking)
“My brother in laws son has that !” and proceed to tell me all about him which requires no answers from me.
Other than to mention it’s a spectrum, characteristics are as unique as the individual.

If a male would like an answer “ I probably process life in a similar way to you but with added superpowers”

This is why I created this thread. That answer never would have occurred to me.

I'm not much on quick responses in general with people when asked a question IRL. This gives me time to form a response of some sort and to decide if they do want to know.

This can be a good thing to do, depending on the situation. I've tried to get close to a person who said something similar many times, and it was poisonous. If the problem is minor and a one-off, this may be a sensible approach, but sometimes a problem is the result of something that needs fixing, and if the thing is not fixed then there will be a series of problems. That thing may most easily be addressed by getting to the root of one of these seemingly minor problems, so while I wouldn't say that your coach's approach is always bad, a strict policy of that approach might be. Sometimes problems will go away without being fixed; a friend who gets shut down when they try to talk to you about your quirks may well no longer be a friend you have to worry about communicating with.

Obviously there are many different levels of understanding we want to try to attain in different situations. I doubt anyone will come up with an answer that would always be good.
I’m more referring to” stirring the pot” where the more you talk about a stinky situation the stinkier it gets. But I will try to remember what you said in case I could possibly be falling into that as well.

I tend to ramble about the problematic medicalisation of Autism as a social category, and the suppression of Autistic traits in favour of assimilation with NT behaviour. I then propose that it is a positive difference in neurological functioning, which is not inherently disabling; but, rather, it is disabled by a world which oppresses Autistic people by being built to favour to NTs. Luckily, since this is my postgraduate research topic, I work in a university where most people find that quite fascinating and comprehensible. :tearsofjoy::tonguewink:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom