• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your Aspie/Autie super power?

I would say there are two things......... One is being calm and being able to function in a situation others find really stressful. The other would be noticing small details.

Mine would be my ability to devour and recall information. I learn very quickly on some things... like learning to golf in about a year. Zero to par, anyway... or seeing a new word in a book... I remember which page and where at on the page. Long after I read the book.

It has downsides though. I cannot turn it off.
If I try to retrieve a memory and it is stubborn, I can need to know so badly it sends me into a spin. Or shutdown.

My IQ is off the charts. Sounds like bragging except it's not. It's embarrassing. I've done so little with it.

My IQ is off the charts. Sounds like bragging except it's not. It's embarrassing. I've done so little with it.

Eh, you're not the only one. I get this feeling constantly. I could be DOING stuff with it... but I aint. I've a feeling there's plenty of others at this site that feel that way too, just a hunch.

According to Malcolm Gladwell in David and Goliath, life achievement is only positively correlated with IQ up to about 120 (I think). After that IQ gives no discernible advantage as the rest of life success comes down to the number of hours spent grinding away at a craft.

To be world class at anything seems to require c10,000 hours, which is about 10 years of FT study/work.

I am extremely funny. Mostly every class I have, for years, I make burst into laughter on a regular (possibly daily) basis.

Psychic medium & guidance and healing.
It all started after the death of my mother. Then I encouraged my own ability to the point where my close friends asked me to help.

I specifically deal in hospitals and terminal bereavement.

According to Malcolm Gladwell in David and Goliath, life achievement is only positively correlated with IQ up to about 120 (I think). After that IQ gives no discernible advantage as the rest of life success comes down to the number of hours spent grinding away at a craft.

To be world class at anything seems to require c10,000 hours, which is about 10 years of FT study/work.

My friend has an IQ of 160 (1 in 100,000), has three or four English degrees, and struggles to get or keep a job.

My IQ seems to move between ~120 and ~140 somehow (the test, my age, or perhaps how I feel that day, eating gluten [?], I don't know). I also struggle with jobs.

I am smart, I work hard (when I understand the rules), and I usually produce results.

I can literally do the same boring, repetitive, computer work ~400% faster than everyone else. Then spend some time resting (working on my notes), while others are still slowly plugging away, and get into trouble. I was surprised (actually shocked) at what I thought were low standards that my co-workers were using. I can hold myself to a higher standard doing something that takes 3x longer, and still finish before them. If I do the standard that everyone else does, then I could blow though the work in little or no time at all. It is curious. If I have 40-hours to do some project, I finish first, and help others finish, then I can get into trouble for working on my notes (and not doing other work). I suppose it is wrong of me to assume that I should be given time to study when I finish early (I should ask).

I have a fear of failure and a fear of success.

This year I was given an MVP award, a trip to the bahamas, and also made a huge mistake (seemed logical to me at the time) that I thought would very possibly have gotten me fired in the same year. Basically there is a rule in a grey area, but I am not supposed to tell people about this rule. In trying to help someone I told them about the rule, and hurt them. It is a big mess and made me look really bad.

Last edited:
I see ultra-high IQ the same way that a mechanic or test driver would see ultra high horsepower in a car. it can enable feats of speed and alacrity on the track but on the real-world street, without sage judgment [born of long-term thoughtfulness] it can get one in a whole lotta trouble.

Was thinking about this. Did a search and found a thread already created on the subject.

Eg. My brain has absolute no distinction between left-handed and right-handed, to my brain it makes no difference at all.
And then there is the speed I can process pictures, for instance: If there are lets say hundreds of images, and you need to find one specific one, I can go through them with tremendous speed. Parents and others used to ask how can I do that so fast and actually see anything. Simple, pattern recognition. Brain makes everything into patterns and numbers.

I can make my body go limp at will to the point that my arms will be able to be twisted and put in positions that should be causing me extreme discomfort. When I practiced wrist grabs in my martial arts training, my arm would make my body go down easily but I was still okay not feeling any pain or discomfort. I can also shove half of my hand and a third of my foot into my mouth. I also can eat a hotdog in two bites.

I clicked Funny, but that’s because misunderstanding (people’s spoken words) is one of mine as well. It’s caused me a lot of trouble, some serious and some humorous.

I'm talking about the one aspect of you that might help other people the most, however you choose to define it.

Imagine no restrictions, nothing holding you back.

What would you supreme power be?

I get business ideas and invention ideas, often very regularly, and have obsessive focus on them.
learning computers and making them more efficient. same with android phones and tablets

My ability to come up with creative ideas for characters and stories is my superpower i’d say. Its hard for me to get the ideas down on paper or anything but i’m good at coming up with them.

I'm the NT of the family. My wife and son have borderline genius intellects in the 140 I.Q. range.
They also have super smell powers.

I can misunderstand anyone, anywhere, anytime. Just try me. :)

I don`t think I have a super power. I`m good at remembering things. Especially pictures.

I too am an expert at misunderstanding people. I’m good at remembering things, even useless information. I guess my hyper focus state can be a super power? The stuff I get done during those moments is amazingly effective, even if I do tire myself out.

I can program microwave clocks with ease. Same with old VCRs. I can also play songs on the piano pretty well if I heard the song enough times.

New Threads

Top Bottom