• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your Aspie/Autie super power?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I'm talking about the one aspect of you that might help other people the most, however you choose to define it.

Imagine no restrictions, nothing holding you back.

What would you supreme power be?

I get business ideas and invention ideas, often very regularly, and have obsessive focus on them.

Last edited:

I get business ideas and invention ideas, often very regularly, and have obsessive focus on them.
I don't understand. Was the title meant to be "Aspie superpower"? And, do you mean a power I have, or a power I want?

Focus.

If I am in the zone, I am capable of intense focus for hours and even days. This is quite helpful for getting a project done, if the project happens to coincide with an interest of mine.

I think if you asked most people who know me, they would actually say my bluntness. People ask me for advice quite often, because they know that I won't bulls**t them at all.

EDIT: I asked my husband and he said "I actually can't decide between your aircrash knowledge...like, I think you could basically do that job now..or your bluntness" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

First off, I'm pure autie, not aspie and according to some schools of thought, there is a difference. I know, beat me up, it is called AspiesCentral, but we are included in the spectrum.
You asked for my strongest, so it will be my eidetic memory combined with the retrieval system my brain uses to access my archived info.

Last edited:
First off,I'm pure autie,not aspie and according to some schools of thought,there is a difference. I know,beat me up,it is called AspiesCentral,but we are included in the spectrum.
You asked for my strongest,so it will be my eidetic memory combined with the retrieval system my brain uses to access my archived info.
This used to be called a photographic memory.

Spelling. In elementary school I could beat just about the whole school in a spelling bee. My brain takes a picture of words that are written. I was a straight D student but could spell like Einstein. I'm sure my teachers were bewildered.

(TITLE SHOULD BE ASPIE/AUTIE SUPERPOWER - predict text disaster! If a mod could change that would be great)

Just a note Full Steam, since you wrote the title its easy to change. At the top of your post to the right there should be a provision called "Thread Tools" and a small downward pointing icon, click on it, for 'edit title'.

My strength is my memory, I'm a bit like a human adding machine when it comes to numbers, I keep a running total in my head when I shop, even grocery items. Knew when I reached the cash today that I had eighty two dollars worth of groceries in the cart. Do this unconsciously, and I rarely miss, the total was $82.73. (But, I can only add them that way, not do much in the way of math without paper and pencil) Same with the words to songs, which I can sing the melody of after hearing the song once.

Last edited:
(TITLE SHOULD BE ASPIE/AUTIE SUPERPOWER - predict text disaster! If a mod could change that would be great)

I'm talking about the one aspect of you that might help other people the most, however you choose to define it.

Fluid intelligence

Focusing my attention and efforts on something. Over a long term like days or even years. I did well in some jobs where doing the job properly every single day over many months made me a top performer [and kept me employed when many NT's were being let go].

Secondly is random access memory. Not photographic. Something in a conversation or situation triggers a recall of similar events or things I have read in my life. It must have an external trigger. It is difficult for me to get lost because memory pulls up detailed information about where I am based on what I see around me and provides maps and detailed directions in my mind based on prior times I have been there or even near there.

The bad part is that it can take a long time to get information into memory. Or maybe it is easy or at least easier when I can see or read but very difficult when I need to learn from spoken words.

My organization skills is my 'superpower' (and my weakness)! I just helped my sister organize her filing system for her bills, paperwork, etc. She had a closet full of mixed up paperwork all over the place and couldn't handle even the thought of trying to organize:eek::rolleyes:. (It gave her panic attacks to try!:confused:) I went over and got it all in order in about 3-4 hours! Of course, I was relatively ruthless in my approach!;):D I told her that I would be and she said I could get rid of anything I didn't think she needed. This is where my Aspie emotional distance comes in handy!:D I think by the time I got done, I'd tossed out about 2/3 of the paperwork. It's organized now and I set it up so she can stay up-to-date pretty easily. She was SOOO impressed! (Yeah, that's right! I'm the man!:cool:;))

I have a very high IQ and laser focus, so I would say my power is my intellect. I can learn anything and I study daily, always learning. I am at the 99th percentile verbally and I love to speak in and write complex sentences and use elevated vocabulary. It makes me a killer Scrabble player! But I am quite adept at adjusting my vocabulary to be congruent with that of people I am with, such as with kids when I teach, or when I lived in Romania and conversed with those whose first language is not English.

I'm highly intelligent and am able to focus very intently on my work, so I am able to do pretty much any mental activity. However, I also have a very simple way of looking, so I'm often able to drastically simplify an otherwise complex situation. For instance, I once solved a year 10 level maths question (I think it was something like: Is the number 152839248 a prime number?) and even the teacher couldn't work it out and I said well since it's an even number it must be divisible by two, so it can't be a prime number.
Basically, I can take the most complex or longest problem and simplify it.

New Threads

Top Bottom