• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your Aspie/Autie super power?

I'd say, my ability to mentally process/track an enormous number of things at once at a very high speed. It's most helpful in gaming... 500 bullets on the screen? Most would find that overwhelming and hard to track. I can follow all of it, and in addition, mentally seperate different parts/layers of the patterns and constantly see them that way. I know this wont make a lick of sense to non-gamers, but there it is. Outside of gaming, this mostly helps with driving; I know where every object in view is at all times and can very quickly react to any of them, as well as predict their movements. Useful.

Of course something like this is not all positive. If I dont have ENOUGH things to occupy my mind, I space out. And when I space out, I space out REALLY HARD. I may as well just not be there anymore. This caused non-stop trouble back in school... I made for a terrible student. Heck, the ONE and only real skill I learned (outside of kindergarten and things like learning how to read) and remember from my school days is keyboarding/typing. That's it. Every other class? I usually didnt even know what was being spoken about, as I was in another world entirely. And homework? What homework?

Mmm my particular aspie "super power"?

Well, I have been asked if I have some kind of supernatural power, because of being able to "get inside" another's head and say exactly what they are thinking. I do this mainly online for that is where people feel most comfortable asking about things they would not in "life" and often received an email to ask if I am actually a psychologist and if not, I ought to apply to be one lol

I use my obsessions to help others.

I go from 0 knowledge on something, to 100% knowledge on that subject in a relatively short time, that makes people think I have known all along! So to put this in context: I could be bottom of a class and suddenly be at the very top, which actually did happen, for I learned to read at 9 ( childhood horrors) and from being a dunce in school, I received a deploma for the best reader in the SCHOOL and this all happened before I reached 10 and so by that time, I was reading very complicated books!

In fact, many who do meet me, cannot believe that I was called stupid in school, because I come across as highly educated and yet lol am quite the opposite.

I could take someone to a clothes shop and they would leave with clothes that fit their body shape and at the same time, make them look stylish. I have got excellent eye for detail and colour matches.

I seem to be able to bare pain pretty well. I can feel extreme pain, but there is a kind of switch inside that says: it is nothing and soon that pain diminishes.

My husband says: why go to all that trouble in getting to know about our bodies, when he has his very own "dr" in the house lol

Take it apart. Find and repair the problem. Put it back together. Give it back to the grateful owner. Basically, this is how I have earned a living for 50+ years and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Here are two of mine:

I can sense bioenergy from people, animals, plants, minerals, and move/channel the energy to help them heal. Combined with awesome hyperfocus, I am able to give an hours long Reiki session to help someone heal from something.

I have very fragile, very reactive neurology, but have the ability to articulate the more enigmatic autistic experiences, such as wandering, bolting, catatonia, and self-injurious fits.
I now do presentations for autism one-on-one support professionals, medical professionals, educators, and administrators. :) I feel so grateful!

Basically, I can take the most complex or longest problem and simplify it.

Me too, although not with numbers (yikes!). I became very good at work at making up trains for departure. That meant gathering up to 120 freight cars from many different tracks at various places throughout the yard, and getting them in a particular order. Most days, I could do in a couple of hours what took another crew their whole shift.

I didn't know that I had a knack for it, I'm sad to say I just thought the other guys were being deliberately obtuse.

Another quirk is that I am very hard to startle or scare. Everything, or just about, gets quickly analysed and processed consciously. While on break one day at work, a yahoo standing behind me thought it'd be hilarious to set off a firecracker at my feet. I had seen him with them earlier, so I had that factoid stored away. As the bang started, my mind was able to race through the bang coming from a firecracker, B__ has firecrackers, he set one off to scare me, there's no threat.

So I didn't even flinch, I just turned around slowly, arched an eyebrow, and said "don't be such a d___". It freaked him out!

That was pretty cool.

I empathize with precision utilizing my hypersensitivity so as to chameleon myself when there's a conflict. It's electric, I meet anyone's needs and then hide away for a day or days after giving my intuitive counsel to someone in what my husband calls "sessions". Can't socialize enough to hang out with people, make friends, or do much conversing more than once a month, but I can solve any personal problem I feel you have if you ask me.

The enhanced focus for sure, if nothing else. I don't have the distraction issues people with ADHD might have (I think, not diagnosed), but once I get focused on something I can't turn back. It helps a lot with work and my shifting interests, since I feel compelled to stay on track; the downside is that I find myself on a single track often and if I get too absorbed then I just about lose track of everything else. It's a blessing and a curse I suppose.

I'm a perfectionist as well with a penchant for precision (even though I'll never be truly "perfect" :)). Mistakes are my bane and I do my best to avoid them whenever and however possible.

Composing music and improvising. Been doing since before 10 years old. I can easily play by ear and tune instruments without a tuning device, just by ear.

Apparently I'm very thoughtful and empathetic. It's funny, because the opposite used to be true. I've spent so much time trying to figure people out and how to be good to them that I ended up much more thoughtful about things. Like, it's not enough for me to get someone a soap for christmas unless I know they seriously love soap/smell good stuff, or if it's a favorite scent of theirs.

I've done things like talk my sister out of a panic attack and I've been there for a lot of people at their most vulnerable moments. Sometimes I'm not sure what to do, so I default to telling them they did nothing wrong or that I'm glad they told me, because that usually works.

It's one of those things I've only realized recently, when I've come far enough out of my self hate to look and see something positive. And I guess my old habit of self hate helped create this too, cause I've used enough insults on myself (and have been insulted by others) to know how much it hurts to hurl them at people.

I've made mistakes, when I was younger I wasn't there for some of the people I knew and my awkward responses hurt their feelings. Well, I was determined to work on that aspect. I'm still incredibly awkward in most social situations, but when it comes to someone who's hurting, according to some of those who know me I'm nice to have around.

Which is good to hear because I'm incredibly neurotic and complain a lot, so it kind of justifies my constant vulnerability.

I am very good in dealing with numbers and at problem solving and puzzles. My language skills are pretty good, and I am great at "pun" type jokes.

Finally I am very good at directions even in new places.

However I am not good around people and struggle in getting my knowledge across in a nice and timely way.

So definitely a case of swings and roundabouts, just like everybody else.

World-class episodic (long term) memory
Resiliancy to being like everyone else and following like a sheep.
Manipulation of feelings and thoughts to achieve things.
Technical knowledge on anything I became heavily interested in.
Traffic/Congestion dodging in my car

I don't know if this qualifies, but I am able to explain the most complicated ideas using language that anyone can understand, and I almost never find myself in a situation where I cannot explain something to someone who wants to know. More than a few people have said to me over the years that I should be a teacher, but I just don't think I have the right personality for that.

My aspie superpowers are largely focused on pattern recognition like the ability to see police cars even in my periphery or recognize voices immediately. But my most undeniable superpower by the people who know me is my ability to know where things are. Usually any thing I have seen, I know where it is. I see a lot, so I know where most things are. Rarely am I expected to look if I don't know. :)

I can detect cats due to my allergies.
-Best superpower ever!

I guess I can help Batman find Catwoman.

-----

I am extremely proficient at navigating though crowds. I can see where I can go based on the speeds and directions of those in the crowd. I find it interesting that other people cannot walk though crowds at the same speed.

-----

I also use somewhat the same ability above while driving. I never change lanes before a light (doing so increases the likely hood of stopping at a red light). I do a lot of coasting as hurrying up to wait at a light seems unnatural (wear on the car, and uses more gas). I plan my rout based on the time of day, the location of lights, and via avoiding choke-points.

-----

Growing up I was able to tell who was walking around by the sound of the floor squeaking.

Last edited:
Well, my ability to talk myself out of tickets most of the time, comes to mind. My money making skills as well. I can sell ice to Eskimos, umongst other things..... I can find anything, ANYTHING, you could think of. I know where to get it, if I don't know, I'll have an answer in 24 hours or less. I know people, ALOT of people..... I pretty much live a 24 hour life. Take naps in between things mostly.

My superpower i think is creative thinking.
I've been pretty good at art and writing stories (according to my peers/friends/teachers). I also tend to make witty comments now and again, mainly to amuse myself in times of stress; but it happens to amuse others around me also, which is a nice bonus.
There was one time in a drama class where my group and I got told by the teacher to come up with a script; and basically every person in the group looked at me for help. :p

I am extremely proficient at navigating though crowds. I can see where I can go based on the speeds and directions of those in the crowd. I find it interesting that other people cannot walk though crowds at the same speed.

I do this! If I'm with other people they're like "how to you manage to get through a crowd like that?"...well, it's because I hate crowds and am constantly looking for the quickest way to get through it.

I think mine would be reason or maybe organisation. I like compartmentalising things both in my head and on paper.

Hello, have enjoyed reading all the responses so far and here is mine. I believe I am what is called an empath. My entire life I've had people confide in me and I had no idea why it was happening. People who speak with me feel like I understand them and feel very comfortable with me very quickly. I get impressions of people sometimes just from looking at a photo.

Once I was in a cathedral and there was an art exhibit dedicated to murdered social activists. I consulted with some ppl on irc chat and was told a spirit may wish to communicate. I was instructed to focus and mentally ask if there was a message someone wanted me to hear or receive. I felt sadness from 3 of the displays in the room but one stood out. I stared at her photo. I felt she was there. I think she just wanted her cause to not be forgotten.

New Threads

Top Bottom