• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What’d you score on the Autistic Quotient test?

but people on the spectrum often have these traits without being aware of them.

Yes - how many people have gone for diagnosis and "failed" to get diagnosed because of questions like these? FINALLY in the DSM-V they are saying that adults may have learned to mask their traits - This is a step in the right direction but what you said above is, I think, more often the case.

It was for me - If I had gone into my testing right after I discovered and knew I was on the spectrum, I probably would have failed the diagnosis.. I went in after a month.. and that was too early... If they would have asked me if I had any perseverations, or stims, or echologia or echolalia - I would have almost laughed at them and said "Heck No!" - But guess what.... Yes to all the above and then some.. and the list is growing still.

What does it mean to concentrate on the whole picture rather than the details? And what does it mean by “read between the lines” does that mean like if someone is being sarcastic?

What does it mean to concentrate on the whole picture rather than the details? And what does it mean by “read between the lines” does that mean like if someone is being sarcastic?

You know... I "thought" I knew what "Whole vs Details" meant - My analogy would in cleaning a room, do you see the whole process or each step of cleaning.. I don't know how to separate those. I'd say "both"...

Reading between the lines - What I think of is.. when you read a book - you see what is printed, but your mind fills in more detail - maybe what will happen next, or a person's reaction or motive.. etc.. things that are not printed in the book you "read between the lines (of print) " - I thing sarcasm requires this too - yes -Another thought - when researchers or scientists are looking at statistics... they see the numbers or information in print but have to infer more base on the data..

You know... I "thought" I knew what "Whole vs Details" meant - My analogy would in cleaning a room, do you see the whole process or each step of cleaning.. I don't know how to separate those. I'd say "both"...

Reading between the lines - What I think of is.. when you read a book - you see what is printed, but your mind fills in more detail - maybe what will happen next, or a person's reaction or motive.. etc.. things that are not printed in the book you "read between the lines (of print) " - I thing sarcasm requires this too - yes -Another thought - when researchers or scientists are looking at statistics... they see the numbers or information in print but have to infer more base on the data..
I remembered that I read about some sort of test regarding the "whole vs details" topic before.
I looked it up again and I'm assuming that the relevant subject of the question is global vs local precedence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_precedence).
There is a test to find out the preferences of processing (local vs global), called Navon task. It is explained in the article I linked above with example figures.
You can find out more about its relation to autism by searching for "Navon task autism", for example.

To me "reading between the lines" refers to sarcasm as mentioned by @Phanelope, but also other things, such as "hidden commands" as I call them. These are commands that are given indirectly in some way, but aren't actually stated, so you have to figure it out yourself.
It might be related to the different aspects of a message as described by the four-sides model by Friedermann Schulz von Thun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-sides_model). "Reading between the lines" could mean that you don't only understand the factual information of a message, but also the other aspects.

38, but the questions are so iffy. If there is a quiet play to see vs a loud, fun for the kiddies museum, well then I would choose the theater. If it's the average art museum then the museum.

Theater to me means a place they show new movies....in the South, that's what it is. I suppose in places like NY, it would be a play put on by a company of actors, so they should specify which they mean.

Theater to me means a place they show new movies....in the South, that's what it is. I suppose in places like NY, it would be a play put on by a company of actors, so they should specify which they mean.
Either way, I'd prefer a museum.

I just guessed at the meaning so maybe they did mean a movie, we say theater here(sort the South, or the Midwest, depends on the magazine) for both plays and film.

Hmmm ok. Well I’d say I see the small details. I scored 29 but some of those questions were hard. It depends on the situation, my mood, who else is there etc.

AQ score: 46, it's all in my footer! :)

PS: Does the person with the highest score win a prize?

I think that concentrating on the whole picture rather than the details would mean that, for example, if someone asked you if you liked the party, you would start thinking perhaps that you liked the food and drink, but you didn't like the music, it was too loud, you liked talking to John, but didn't like talking to Mary, you'd get caught up in the details and it would be hard for you to say whether you liked the party or not, because it's too general. NTs would probably first say "yeah, it was great" and then go into details, but you would go into details first, and then decide whether it was a good party or not. You examine the details first to build up a picture, they would have the picture first, and then break it down into details.
Reading between the lines means inferring information which is implied or hinted at, but not spoken, often drawing from the wider context of the situation, or social knowledge. Do you ever feel like you don't understand something, or confused, because you are missing information, and yet those around you have no difficulty understanding? That you are unable to fill in missing information, or that you just don't get something or are left behind in conversation? Or you watching a movie, in particular drama, and it's really confusing, or hard to follow, don't know what's going on because you missed something and you know it wasn't due to inattention?

I spoke to my friend today who pointed out that I’m always noticing things no one else does and saying “how could you not see that”, or “how did you not notice that.” So I’m guessing that means I see the details.

Last edited:
I spoke to my friend today who pointed out that I’m always noticing things no one else does and saying “how could you not see that” “Or how did you not notice that.” So I’m guessing that means I see the details.

I've heard that so many times, Especially when I was on my teens, Still do in adulthood but much more then

I forgot to answer ....
AQ - 43
Ritvo-RAADS-R - 181
Aspie Quiz - 124/200
Self-diagnosed after much research. It answers a whole lot of "why" questions through and about my life, and a lot of misunderstandings. I'll probably not pursue a diagnosis, as that can be expensive, take a long while, and not much use at my age. At least I don't think so.

I score 41, however some of the questions are not specific enough for me to give an accurate answer and some seem like things I would not actually know about myself.

I got 43.
What frustrates me is that I can't get my psychiatrist to recognise my Autism and yet, it's obvious to me that I am, undeniably, Autistic/Aspie. These test results add even more weight to that assertion.

New Threads

Top Bottom