• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What’d you score on the Autistic Quotient test?

I scored 40.

38, but the questions are so iffy. If there is a quiet play to see vs a loud, fun for the kiddies museum, well then I would choose the theater. If it's the average art museum then the museum.
I agree with this.
For some of the questions I'd rather say "it depends" because the options are just too unspecific like the one with the theater and the museum. What kind of museum is it? Which theater play? These things as well as other additional factors matter for me when given these options.

The first time I did (when I didn't even know High Functioning Autism or Asperger's even existed) the test I scored 37. Other times I did the test normally, I scored anywhere from 33 to 41.

One time I did the test deliberately trying to score as low as I could without outright lying, and that time I scored 29.
When I took the test for the first time I didn't expect to actually score in the "autism range". Surprisingly (to me back then) I scored above the cut off though.

Afterwards I did the same like you, "trying to score as low as I could without outright lying". I thought that I had maybe exaggerated some things and caused the high score accidentially in some way. However, I still scored above the cut off.
This could be partially explained by this paragraph from the Wikipedia article posted by @tree:
Wikipedia said:
Each question allows the subject to indicate "definitely agree", "slightly agree", "slightly disagree" or "definitely disagree". Approximately half the questions are worded to elicit an "agree" response from neurotypical individuals, and half to elicit a "disagree" response. The subject scores one point for each question which is answered "autistically" either slightly or definitely.
According to this it doesn't make a difference whether someone (dis)agrees with a statement only slightly or definitely. So me trying to "tone my score down" and making sure not to exaggerate doesn't have much of an effect if I mostly switch from "definitely" to "slightly" within the same category (agree or disagree).
I wonder why it is scored like this. Why are there options for "slightly" and "definitely" in the first place when it doesn't make any difference at the end?

The precise number is not this important it might be usefull as a first step even thought I think some people can have a result saying they might be on the spectrum while they are not and vice versa.

It's usefull but not enought in my opinion.
I agree with you.
The AQ is supposed to be used as a screening tool as far as I know and it's not an actual diagnosis. It shows a tendency, but shouldn't be the one single basis for a diagnosis.
As said above some of the questions are quite unspecific and cannot be answered in the simple agree/disagree manner the test requires one to use. There are many more details to consider before coming to a more definite conclusion.
Just like with other tests there's the risk of false-negative and false-positive results too.

Last edited:
I took the test twice and scored between 41-43.
I just took mine and got 41. This is the same score I received the last time I took it. A couple years ago. At least I'm consistent. I've gotten very good at normalizing myself around coworkers. Albeit, I'm very drained and mentally exhausted when I get home.

Last edited:
I got 34, but as another person or two mentioned, the questions just seemed a bit off. I think that, with a different set of questions, I probably would've scored about 5 points higher. Also, I tend to mask a lot, and I think that contributed to my score being slightly lower than is accurate.

Well dang I got a 26 this morning. I've taken it before but don't recall what I scored except I was strongly NT I thought.

It says "26-31 gives a borderline indication of an autism spectrum disorder. It is also possible to have aspergers or mild autism within this range."

How very interesting.

Hmmmm, maybe have been reading this forum so much it's starting to stick?

Well dang I got a 26 this morning. I've taken it before but don't recall what I scored except I was strongly NT I thought.

It says "26-31 gives a borderline indication of an autism spectrum disorder. It is also possible to have aspergers or mild autism within this range."

How very interesting.

The first time I took it, I took it just for fun and curiosity, I didn't know I had Asperger's and I was being very optimistic and perhaps not so honest about some of my social abilities, I got 29... high enough for alarm bells to ring. Later, when I thought about it and talked to my mum, I realised that I do have a lot of social difficulties, ones that I wasn't really aware of but which other people who know me notice.

I scored a 41, but I disagree with some of the questions and don't understand how anyone could give an honest answer to them:

I often notice small sounds when others do not. (Wouldn't I have to ask other people, all the time, if they noticed this or that. Given that I've never asked anyone the option of NA should be offered)

I tend to notice details that others do not. (see above)

When I talk on the phone, I'm not sure when it's my turn to speak. (I don't speak on the phone; NA should be an option)

I am a good diplomat. (I've never worked in international relations. Perhaps I would be a good diplomat but this is impossible to know.)

How very interesting.

He who lives among wolves learns to howl ;)

Tee hee HidingInPlainSight you're so literal,eg think it means how diplomatic are you? Small d. Plus, others may have noted they noticed small sounds or details , if not, we might assume they didn’t. And your omitting of talking on the phone again doesn’t point to NT behaviour. ...

How very interesting.

Autism through digital osmosis

How very interesting.

"Uh-huh!" (Said like John Wayne in "The Green Berets".) :p

All kidding aside, some of my favorite personalities in this community are those who came here as NTs and later determined that in fact they are on the spectrum as well. :)

Last edited:
Score of 39/50 -

Is it just me or does everyone have a hard time applying those questions to specific memories... For example - a question about do people say you go on and on about a topic .... Well... nobody has specifically said "Tom you go on and on about your topics..." so I have to recall times I realize I've gone on and on... Maybe this is because I don't pick up the non-verbal cues?

For example I as very "concerned" about international tensions between the US and other countries - I'd talk about this.. and my boss would say " I knew someone who was also concerned about things like this.. and they obcessed about them.. It just bothered me.. blah blah blah... I did this maybe 5 or 6 times till one day she said.." I don't like talking about these things they upset me... ".... I then realized her talking about this "other guy" was a way of telling me she did not want to talk about these things because it upset her.. My mind brings up so many possibilities that I don't know what I think sometimes ....

Score of 39/50 -

Is it just me or does everyone have a hard time applying those questions to specific memories... For example - a question about do people say you go on and on about a topic .... Well... nobody has specifically said "Tom you go on and on about your topics..." so I have to recall times I realize I've gone on and on... Maybe this is because I don't pick up the non-verbal cues?

For example I as very "concerned" about international tensions between the US and other countries - I'd talk about this.. and my boss would say " I knew someone who was also concerned about things like this.. and they obcessed about them.. It just bothered me.. blah blah blah... I did this maybe 5 or 6 times till one day she said.." I don't like talking about these things they upset me... ".... I then realized her talking about this "other guy" was a way of telling me she did not want to talk about these things because it upset her.. My mind brings up so many possibilities that I don't know what I think sometimes ....
Yes, this is the problem with these "do people tell you" type questions - just because people don't tell you, doesn't mean that you don't do them. So many questions depend on your being aware of the trait, but people on the spectrum often have these traits without being aware of them.

New Threads

Top Bottom