• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What your psychiatrist says to you, you already know, due to having been your own therapist.

My fix was for $3500.
Guaranteed.

My guess is it didnt fix you... or you wouldn't be here... : )
You would be a world renowned stand up comic - or maybe you are and you're holding out on us.

So if it was guaranteed... do they give your money back if it dont "fix" you?

I'm so literal it pitiful...

I would love to go into the Psych office and say, "I want a refund..."
I think I would hear hysterical laughter...
as they run towards me with a straight jacket and needles in both hands...

My fix was a "patch" maybe : )

My guess is it didnt fix you... or you wouldn't be here... : )
You would be a world renowned stand up comic - or maybe you are and you're holding out on us.

So if it was guaranteed... do they give your money back if it dont "fix" you?

I'm so literal it pitiful...

I would love to go into the Psych office and say, "I want a refund..."
I think I would hear hysterical laughter...
as they run towards me with a straight jacket and needles in both hands...

My fix was a "patch" maybe : )

I thought Fridge was being facetious and saying he, Fridge, could have "fixed" you for less but maybe your interpretation was correct. (I was flashing back to a comment I think you made in the past that Fridge could pose a question that was out of the box which would shift your thought process and get you out of a stuck place.)

Let me say this. First if I recall, Suzanne wanted the ASD diagnosis in order to receive some sort of disability which is offered in France. But Suzanne, I'd forgotten that France doesn't recognize Aspergers so maybe if it's disability you want or some sort of program that France offers, a PTSD diagnosis would fit that bill. Or maybe I've got it all wrong.

Second, is this thing about being "cured" by psychotherapy. This is kind of analogous to going to your primary care physician for something and then expecting to be cured once and for all and never need to go back. People grow and change and in therapy, people tend to make some progress and then plateau for awhile before they're ready to make more progress and more changes. If they were told , ok go out and work on the progress that you've made then come back when you're ready to make more changes, it would save folks a lot of money and grief. But in reality no one makes continuous progress no matter how smart or motivated they are. So here's the thing: you are going to grow and change emotionally and psychologically just like your body does physically. So this is why you may need to be in psychotherapy off and on throughout your years. This of course will apply more to some than others depending on the issues involved and the person's capacity for change. Not everyone has an unlimited capacity for change and when he/she reaches the max change at that point in time, they should be discharged from therapy and told to come back in the future when needed. (This does not apply to those who are psychotic: they will need to be in treatment as long as they are psychotic.) I hope I've explained this in a way that makes sense.

I thought Fridge was being facetious and saying he, Fridge, could have "fixed" you for less but maybe your interpretation was correct. (I was flashing back to a comment I think you made in the past that Fridge could pose a question that was out of the box which would shift your thought process and get you out of a stuck place.)

Well, I will fix chance for 2999
One hour special price.
Guaranteed.

DO YOU JUGGLE? : )

Lol the pupil becomes the master.

Remarkably that was a very rough day and I was battling my mind and some really dark stuff...
What you said STUCK in my head.

DO YOU JUGGLE? Yes I juggle...

Now it's sort of this thing that tells me, drop the stupid, deal with the facts, and move the hell on... : )

So in a way you did fix part of me... Thank you... : )

Remarkably that was a very rough day and I was battling my mind and some really dark stuff...
What you said STUCK in my head.

DO YOU JUGGLE? Yes I juggle...

Now it's sort of this thing that tells me, drop the stupid, deal with the facts, and move the hell on... : )

So in a way you did fix part of me... Thank you... : )

:) You see, first one's free.

Imagine what I could do with $2999

Go on holiday probably.

(But thanks and don't mention it or whatever it is that people say..)

Let me say this. First if I recall, Suzanne wanted the ASD diagnosis in order to receive some sort of disability which is offered in France. But Suzanne, I'd forgotten that France doesn't recognize Aspergers so maybe if it's disability you want or some sort of program that France offers, a PTSD diagnosis would fit that bill. Or maybe I've got it all wrong.

Second, is this thing about being "cured" by psychotherapy. This is kind of analogous to going to your primary care physician for something and then expecting to be cured once and for all and never need to go back. People grow and change and in therapy, people tend to make some progress and then plateau for awhile before they're ready to make more progress and more changes. If they were told , ok go out and work on the progress that you've made then come back when you're ready to make more changes, it would save folks a lot of money and grief. But in reality no one makes continuous progress no matter how smart or motivated they are. So here's the thing: you are going to grow and change emotionally and psychologically just like your body does physically. So this is why you may need to be in psychotherapy off and on throughout your years. This of course will apply more to some than others depending on the issues involved and the person's capacity for change. Not everyone has an unlimited capacity for change and when he/she reaches the max change at that point in time, they should be discharged from therapy and told to come back in the future when needed. (This does not apply to those who are psychotic: they will need to be in treatment as long as they are psychotic.) I hope I've explained this in a way that makes sense.
only problem is according to the website you have to be 80% incapacitated to get handicap benefit .

I agree with others who say to be completely honest on how you feel and think with him. I see a counselor who specializes in Mentored Learning for those who have been diagnosed with ADHD, Autism and other learning challenges. He has been the best I have ever seen and he makes me feel heard and helps me a lot in how I figure out and work through my personal challenges. I have seen numerous therapists, psychiatrist, and Psychiatric nurse practitioners over the past 13 years and I have been put on a few different psyche meds throughout this period of time in my life but they never worked, they actually made things worse for me... I believe it is because I kept getting diagnosed wrong and they just wanted me to pop a pill to make me feel "normal". I was officially diagnosed when I was 28 and I didn't know I was on the spectrum until my children started getting looked at for it. It's been said that females tend to get misdiagnosed a lot because we show signs differently than males.

It was a great relief for me to get my appropriate diagnosis because I felt so confused and misunderstood by everyone including myself. What a challenging way to live... It wasn't until I was about 23 years old when I started to figure myself out and work through all of my challenges. What I have done so far has brought me here and from what I have learned is that I am creative, Intelligent, I love and feel so very deeply, I cannot save everyone, and I actually like myself now. I am still digging and searching for what connects with me clearly, so far I am happy as to what I have found. Talking with my counselor every week has helped me a lot, I think it is also because he tends to validate my feelings and I feel like I am not insane lol. We are our own therapists, but sometimes we do need a little assistance from the right person. Not all puzzle pieces fit because they belong to a different puzzle.

Last edited:
only problem is according to the website you have to be 80% incapacitated to get handicap benefit .

I believe that to be true. Even though I am diagnosed on the spectrum I am considered high functioning and I do not qualify for disability. I can function well enough to do things for myself and others even though I have personal challenges I deal with everyday. I was able to self learn tools to help me cope with the world growing up; and over the years through life experiences and numerous training's; I have the proper set of skills to take care of vulnerable individuals successfully, I can hold a job and take care of my household on my own which includes bills, cleaning, and shopping for necessities. All these things can be stressful for me in their own way so I make a conscious effort to practice self care everyday to help me get through it.

Last edited:
I think I remember you saying you wanted a diagnosis so that you might be eligible for benefits?
If the psychiatrist is free, that means the government must pay for it I assume?
I just wonder if he will be less inclined to give you a diagnosis that will cost the government in that case. It would be nice to think it didn't work that way, but I am a bit cynical about government motives. I hope I'm wrong.

Hi everyone and dear Suzanne

Well I read your story Suzanne and everyone's comments. I am so sorry Suzanne you found that health "professional" not interested in your condition and trying to find alternative dg. Very frustrating indeed!

First of all I am shocked that France does not recognise Aspergers as a mental health condition. That is absolutely ridiculous.

1. I think your best option was stated in one of the previous comments and that is to write down all your trends and activities, bring all the tests you had in the past.
2. Try to have an independent interpreter please. I know you are relying on your husband a lot but with independent interpreter you will have objective unbiased translation of your words. This is crucial and very important (especially with lay back and not so knowledgable health professionals like the one you are seeing at present). I work for health services and we always strongly recommend to have independent interpreter when patient has appointment. Family interpreters are convenient but could be also biased and possibly say something different (not on purpose usually- BUT it does happen). I am sure your husband wants the best for you but just think about this option please.
2. You need to have correct dg to be able to receive right treatment. FULL STOP. No doubt about it. By having wrong dg is unethical and completely unacceptable. You simply CAN NOT have that. I agree with previous comments. You should try to get different health professional, second opionion. I know it is hard to find it but please do some research and you might be surprised what you can find. I know that this will be difficult but good research often pays off. Of course you will check if they are free or if there is a fee included. DO NOT settle for "suitable" dg.
3. Another option is to get in touch possibly with some local mental health community or charity organisations or support groups (if any exist where you live-i hope they do exist) and ask for information. They can be sometimes very helpful.
4. Finally......only YOU know what you have. You are the key to your future and NO ONE can oppose your words, actions and trends you have. You have to pursue this with a strong mind set and do not allow anyone to persuade you that you have something you don't have. Be strong and forward.....

We all love you and support you. There a
were some very interesting remarks regarding government funding and whether giving you right dg would cost them more. I dont even want to go there as that makes me really angry.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mary

New Threads

Top Bottom