• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you do if you won the lottery?

1. Buy an Albino Reticulated Python
2. Buy a baby Anaconda
3. Buy a trampoline (I was deprived of one as a kid)
4. Buy a Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren (my dream car)
5. Lend some to my sister
6. Lend some to my parents
7. Visit Barrow, Alaska
8. Buy a huge, rustic mansion in the mountains somewhere
9. Host a party in my hometown in California with my friends (all two of them!)
10. Try to meet Ke$ha and Celine Dion

Haha, I don't have a lot of ambitions in life...

I would keep enough to pay off my debts and live a simple life doing volunteer work, and give the rest away to good causes.

1. Buy property - lots of it, some for my whole family to move down to my area and the rest to rent out
2. Give each family member a set amount each month to live off
3. Do lots for my local community, like give the school a big cheque for lots of new equipment etc, buy the theatre that is under threat of closure, have more facilities
4. Invest in a few companys that I know could do well if they just had a big cash sum
5. Help out lots of small charities
6. Setup lots and lots of free special needs schools (mainly autism related)
7. Open up a new animal sanctuary where no animal is put down because it's too old or can't find a home
8. Pay my brother a million to let my mum have legal guardianship of my niece
9. Create more autism retreats similar to autscape but at a vastly cheaper price
10. Save the rest for a rainy day lol

4. Buy a Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren (my dream car)

mercedes-benz-slr-mclaren-01.jpg

Pay off all outstanding debts.
Make some very wise investments with my money to insure that I never run out of money.
Acquire a custom-made gaming computer with all the games that I want.
Finally attend art school in Seattle.

So, yeah, that's about it.

Another of my favorite threads! I love this thread sososo much.

After living for 23 short years, I come to the realisation that money can buy a lot of things, but not everything. Hence, with the 50 million, I can do a lot of things

(1) Pay off whatever loans and bonds I have, and tell to my friends and bosses, I will only work for fun from now on as much as I can. Thanks for the memories! (Scoots off)

(2) Since these days, there are simply too many PhDs in Geography but too few real teachers, I thought about it - why not 'teach' online?

(3) Move to a college town in the US, or any place with a good Geography course.

(4) Network with professors in the colleges.

(5) Buy a house with a walk-in wardrobe, soundproof features, a recording studio and a dance studio, all built in

(6) Buy a car

(7) Buy the most comfortable clothes I can wear all day - long thread, if you ask me, but they have to be stylish and comfortable

(8) Dance for recreation

(9) Sing all day long

(10) Pig out in buffet restaurants! :D

Pay off college debt
Buy a modest house, nothing too crazy
Go to school for a history degree
Buy a few new musical instruments, new drum set, keyboard
Travel around the US

Move to the coast.
Go to every concert I've been meaning to go to.
Visit Italy.
Visit Japan.
Go back to Hawaii for a visit.
Have a separate bank account for convention money when I go every three years. Indulge every single year because my account allows it.
Have an amazing fancy wedding and a very long honeymoon because we'd be visiting multiple areas.
Drive to Florida when I can't fly there so I can visit my best friend.
Meet Avenged Sevenfold.
Meet Tiesto.
Meet/see Armin van Buuren.
Meet Bassnectar.
Visit my family up north again.
Get dad an amazing assisted living home residency, and hire a group of nurses to watch him and take him fishing.
Get my fiance's grandma an amazing assisted living home residency and hire the nicest and most patient and positive nursing staff to socialize with her and take her to the care place where she went for physical therapy to say hello to all the friends she made there. Also hire the world's most patient, outgoing and best overall physical therapist to keep her from giving up again.
Give some money to my father in law since he's having financial troubles.
Donate a lot to my community band so we can get more instruments, fun trips and other things.
Donate a lot to my fraternity's philanthropies board.
Donate to Alzheimer's Association.
Get a new car with all the bells and whistles in it that I wanted.
Tour around the country as a motivational speaker for Asperger's Syndrome (money for gas is the only thing stopping me!)
Have a house big enough for my fiance's stuff, my stuff, and all our musical instruments. We'd also have a state-of-the-art recording studio somewhere in there where his band can write music and rehearse.
Give money to his band mates so they don't have to work anymore.
Donate to my college's music department so they can FINALLY get a new contrabassoon and whatever other instruments need to be purchased.

... can you tell I'm unemployed, fresh out of college and loaded with dreams? :laugh:

I'd be disappointed that that's all there is in the jackpot, lol

Since I actually want to build this;

DeathStar.jpg

Hmm, do they have Home Depot where you live? You might be able to get the materials for cheap. Just be sure to close that opening the size of a womp rat.:) By the way, but it's up to $60 million now.

Lol.... the materials, while they're a lot, aren't the biggest problem. The problem is hauling it all up in space, and having the hardware to build it in outerspace.

But just in costs for steel it would be already about half a quadrillion dollars... wait; let's spell that out in digits: $500.000.000.000.000... just in expenses for steel.

Move to the coast.
Go to every concert I've been meaning to go to.
Visit Italy.
Visit Japan.
Go back to Hawaii for a visit.
Have a separate bank account for convention money when I go every three years. Indulge every single year because my account allows it.
Have an amazing fancy wedding and a very long honeymoon because we'd be visiting multiple areas.
Drive to Florida when I can't fly there so I can visit my best friend.
Meet Avenged Sevenfold.
Meet Tiesto.
Meet/see Armin van Buuren.
Meet Bassnectar.
Visit my family up north again.
Get dad an amazing assisted living home residency, and hire a group of nurses to watch him and take him fishing.
Get my fiance's grandma an amazing assisted living home residency and hire the nicest and most patient and positive nursing staff to socialize with her and take her to the care place where she went for physical therapy to say hello to all the friends she made there. Also hire the world's most patient, outgoing and best overall physical therapist to keep her from giving up again.
Give some money to my father in law since he's having financial troubles.
Donate a lot to my community band so we can get more instruments, fun trips and other things.
Donate a lot to my fraternity's philanthropies board.
Donate to Alzheimer's Association.
Get a new car with all the bells and whistles in it that I wanted.
Tour around the country as a motivational speaker for Asperger's Syndrome (money for gas is the only thing stopping me!)
Have a house big enough for my fiance's stuff, my stuff, and all our musical instruments. We'd also have a state-of-the-art recording studio somewhere in there where his band can write music and rehearse.
Give money to his band mates so they don't have to work anymore.
Donate to my college's music department so they can FINALLY get a new contrabassoon and whatever other instruments need to be purchased.

... can you tell I'm unemployed, fresh out of college and loaded with dreams? :laugh:

So do I. 10 is simply not enough for a 20+ y-o with lots of dreams and lots of interests, too. But for now, the 11th wish, if any, would be 'do more things I like as and when it comes' :D

However, 50 million US dollars, let us assume that happens, is peanuts in the third financial hub in the world. There is a pretty large district where the most talented or fortunate live, and they hang out in only a few places. I know 50 million will not bring me to that league.

Last edited:
Lol.... the materials, while they're a lot, aren't the biggest problem. The problem is hauling it all up in space, and having the hardware to build it in outerspace.

But just in costs for steel it would be already about half a quadrillion dollars... wait; let's spell that out in digits: $500.000.000.000.000... just in expenses for steel.

First off, why not improve upon it? The thing only has one main gun, and is resigned to a single orbital track. Make a giant space dreadnought instead.

Secondly, what you should really do is invest the money in setting up mining and manufacturing stations on Mars, and use the virtually infinite amount of metal for dirt cheap.

Still probably take about 20-30 trillion dollars, and a whole friggin bunch of time.

Might want to perfect cryogenics first.

I would buy a secluded island and become self sustainable and live in a log cabin, it would have to be somewhere that does not have light pollution to ruin the sky at night then I would upgrade my telescope to the biggest one I could afford with the money I have left over.

I'm an odd-ball when it comes to oodles of money & spending. The more money I have, the less 'stuff' I want. The more money I have, the more selective I become & the more cautious I become about spending. I tend to look also at what having a given item would cost me in the long run & compare that against not only the amount of money I initially had BUT future earnings (revenues from other sources, interest etc.) & the amount of usage said item would get.

The problem with lottery winners is the disturbing truth that most are back in the same position they were in initially (or worse) within a short 5 yrs after having won their windfall. The problem is that few people who weren't raised with wealth or educated to handle it really have a clue as to how much (& how little) a large amount of money really is. They begin spending & giving it away thinking "I can afford it, after all, I have X million." Well....maybe the person DID...before buying the big house or condo, buying one for every living relative, paying off 10 people's debts, going on that world tour & buying a car for every relative & giving to every charity! Just the taxes & utility costs for a large property are daunting let alone maintenance costs. It literally bleeds your bank account!

There was a famous case of a lottery winning family here in QC. The Lavigueurs won about 7.6 million back in the 80s when that was a lot of money here. They had been a poor family on welfare. They went nuts spending. They bought a home on a private island & a yacht to ferry them to & from their home. Since the water freezes up in winter, getting to & from the house required a helicopter! The family was featured widely on tv as many people were happy to hear of such a poor family winning the lottery. Lavigueur family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Either way. the whole thing turned out to be a catastrophe for them & it tore them apart. A few years later, they were back living in the same place where they had begun.

There are many lessons in there. We can make lists of what we want & would do, but few people can honestly calculate how it would affect them as a person & the impact t would have on their life. Suddenly, people who were relatives & friends become fiercely jealous. Many want to use you as their personal back machine & saying NO earns enemies. You no longer fit in to your former community & surroundings BUT you may not fit in with the new one (in an exclusive upscale setting with affluent people who did NOT get theirs from a lotto ticket). Many winners who move to exclusive areas go into a sort of culture shock when they realize just how different it is. If you have kids, they may go from a troubled inner city school to an exclusive private school where the other kids may want nothing to do with them. Trying to 'remain the same as you were before' is an exercise in insincerity: once you've traveled all over the world 1st class all the way, visited the pyramids & walked on The Great Wall of China, you are not the same as your former neighbourhood pals whose holiday consisted of visiting uncle Zeke in Lake Woebegone for a long weekend! They can share their vacation slides with you BUT what happens when you share yours with them? Envy & resentment.

My post may seem 'negative' but it was intended as food for thought. Rather than thinking about what you'd do with the money, thinking about how you'd manage suddenly becoming rich & what financial management skills you actually have is more salient. After all, one can always find ways to spend money. Visualizing who you would become & how you would handle these circumstances is more relevant. Anyone who thinks that suddenly having 50 million wouldn't change them or force them to change is very naive.
rentinA similar thing happened to Kate Middleton-YES, prince William's wife. Her parents had been from modest means & they had both been flight attendants. They began a business that took off & they earned enough to move way up the socioeconomic ladder. They enrolled Kate in a boarding school frequented by the children of Britain's elite/noble class. She was bullied so badly, harangued & excluded to the point where her parents had to pull her out & move her elsewhere! Can you imagine being the son or daughter of a mechanic who won the lotto trying to make friends & fit in in such a setting? Not easy! Americans tend to be in deep denial about class differences in their society & the impact that these have. Going from the working class to the middle class is feasible as many middle class people came from parents who were working class & they can relate. Coming from the working class & trying to fit into an upper middle class setting is harder: these people are often social climbers striving to become truly rich. Going from working class to a 1% er type of setting is extremely hard.

and if I could build a massive pool I would get one of these.

Attachments

• Photos-of-Dolphin.jpg
    Photos-of-Dolphin.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 286
also I would donate money to saving the hectors dolphin and get my dad flying lessons finally buy my mum a real nice horse truck oops one last one I would invest some money or leave it in the bank to get interest off it.

I'm an odd-ball when it comes to oodles of money & spending. The more money I have, the less 'stuff' I want. The more money I have, the more selective I become & the more cautious I become about spending. I tend to look also at what having a given item would cost me in the long run & compare that against not only the amount of money I initially had BUT future earnings (revenues from other sources, interest etc.) & the amount of usage said item would get.

The problem with lottery winners is the disturbing truth that most are back in the same position they were in initially (or worse) within a short 5 yrs after having won their windfall. The problem is that few people who weren't raised with wealth or educated to handle it really have a clue as to how much (& how little) a large amount of money really is. They begin spending & giving it away thinking "I can afford it, after all, I have X million." Well....maybe the person DID...before buying the big house or condo, buying one for every living relative, paying off 10 people's debts, going on that world tour & buying a car for every relative & giving to every charity! Just the taxes & utility costs for a large property are daunting let alone maintenance costs. It literally bleeds your bank account!

There was a famous case of a lottery winning family here in QC. The Lavigueurs won about 7.6 million back in the 80s when that was a lot of money here. They had been a poor family on welfare. They went nuts spending. They bought a home on a private island & a yacht to ferry them to & from their home. Since the water freezes up in winter, getting to & from the house required a helicopter! The family was featured widely on tv as many people were happy to hear of such a poor family winning the lottery. Lavigueur family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Either way. the whole thing turned out to be a catastrophe for them & it tore them apart. A few years later, they were back living in the same place where they had begun.

There are many lessons in there. We can make lists of what we want & would do, but few people can honestly calculate how it would affect them as a person & the impact t would have on their life. Suddenly, people who were relatives & friends become fiercely jealous. Many want to use you as their personal back machine & saying NO earns enemies. You no longer fit in to your former community & surroundings BUT you may not fit in with the new one (in an exclusive upscale setting with affluent people who did NOT get theirs from a lotto ticket). Many winners who move to exclusive areas go into a sort of culture shock when they realize just how different it is. If you have kids, they may go from a troubled inner city school to an exclusive private school where the other kids may want nothing to do with them. Trying to 'remain the same as you were before' is an exercise in insincerity: once you've traveled all over the world 1st class all the way, visited the pyramids & walked on The Great Wall of China, you are not the same as your former neighbourhood pals whose holiday consisted of visiting uncle Zeke in Lake Woebegone for a long weekend! They can share their vacation slides with you BUT what happens when you share yours with them? Envy & resentment.

My post may seem 'negative' but it was intended as food for thought. Rather than thinking about what you'd do with the money, thinking about how you'd manage suddenly becoming rich & what financial management skills you actually have is more salient. After all, one can always find ways to spend money. Visualizing who you would become & how you would handle these circumstances is more relevant. Anyone who thinks that suddenly having 50 million wouldn't change them or force them to change is very naive.

rentinA similar thing happened to Kate Middleton-YES, prince William's wife. Her parents had been from modest means & they had both been flight attendants. They began a business that took off & they earned enough to move way up the socioeconomic ladder. They enrolled Kate in a boarding school frequented by the children of Britain's elite/noble class. She was bullied so badly, harangued & excluded to the point where her parents had to pull her out & move her elsewhere! Can you imagine being the son or daughter of a mechanic who won the lotto trying to make friends & fit in in such a setting? Not easy! Americans tend to be in deep denial about class differences in their society & the impact that these have. Going from the working class to the middle class is feasible as many middle class people came from parents who were working class & they can relate. Coming from the working class & trying to fit into an upper middle class setting is harder: these people are often social climbers striving to become truly rich. Going from working class to a 1% er type of setting is extremely hard.

that is so true if I won the lottery half of my money would be left in the bank to get interest off of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom