• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last video you watched? (2021 Edition)...

But
This is kind of off-topic but I added BritBox to my Roku account a couple of days ago. It keeps freezing up which is driving me crazy. I've rebooted Roku and our router but it is still playing only for a minute or two and then spins for several minutes before it resumes. It's unwatchable as is!

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? AT&T is our internet provider. Is it a problem with limited broadband width? AT&T doesn't have the best of reputations for the service but there aren't any other good options where I live.
buy a broadband booster or upgrade your broadband

Last edited:
This is kind of off-topic but I added BritBox to my Roku account a couple of days ago. It keeps freezing up which is driving me crazy. I've rebooted Roku and our router but it is still playing only for a minute or two and then spins for several minutes before it resumes. It's unwatchable as is!

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? AT&T is our internet provider. Is it a problem with limited broadband width? AT&T doesn't have the best of reputations for the service but there aren't any other good options where I live.

Solved: Britbox Can't Play - Roku Community

Not sure about BritBox in particular, but Roku hardware can be quite finicky. I returned one a few months ago. Which device do you have?

Right off I'd tell anyone contemplating using Roku to consider their more expensive device, the Roku Ultra. Mostly because it's one of the few devices that allows both 10/100 Ethernet and more importantly it allows 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz (N & AC) dual band capability. In other words if you're router can handle 5.0Ghz using AC protocol, use it to make the most of your Roku connection. 10/100 Ethernet isn't as fast as 100/1000 Ethernet, but at least the option allows for more consistent bandwidth rather than to depend on wireless.

One thing that spooked me about the smaller Roku sticks was the amount of heat they draw. Another thing to consider is using your wall plug for power rather than relying on a USB port on your smart tv to power the Roku device. In any event it's best to elevate your Roku device so it's not sitting directly on a surface. Give it some airflow above and below it. Something I do with all my electronic components so close together using steel shelves for an entertainment center.

MPF_1490.JPG

With particular attention to my cable box which is on all the time and can get quite warm. Truth is, I even use a little 4 inch Holmes fan on my router and modem at the slowest, quietest speed. Keeps both components at room temperature. Hot components can potentially slow down or interfere with your Internet connection speed as well. Given the heat that Roku stick put out, if I get another Roku device I may place a small fan near it as well.

Roku

Another thing more complicated is thoroughly analyze your broadband Internet connection, both wired and wireless. Make sure you are getting the most out of your modem, router and are using current RG6 coaxial cables to give you optimal power.

Seems most learned folks agree that for basic streaming of movies and videos you should consistently be getting between 53 and 100 mbps. Anything less and you get a choppy presentation that may be constantly buffering. Ideally you should only get buffering at the beginning of a download and not much else. The Roku wireless stick I bought and returned was giving me a pitiful amount of bandwidth having to use the 2.4Ghz band. Not acceptable!

Consider downloading from the Microsoft Store a freeware app called "WiFi Analyzer" by Matt Hafner. It's a tool that monitors how strong or weak your wireless signal may be, and it also shows your neighbor's connection so you can try to use an optimal channel which hopefully has the least amount of users on it. This program allowed me to optimize how my router and network adapter antennas were pointing, apart from where to position my router relative to my computer's network adapter. Truth is, there's a lot that can hamper your wireless signal that you may be unaware of.

Another thing to do is to run a speed test on your Internet connection through Ookla:

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I recently discovered using wireless AC 5.0Ghz gives me relatively consistent speed using channel 48 and 40Mhz channel width that was done by changing my router's settings. There's really quite a few things to consider if your broadband is much less than what is advertised or that you're paying for. I pay for 200mbps and almost always get well above that in the speedtest. But it took a while to figure out how to optimize my router using 5.0Ghz. Though with a Gigabit Ethernet adapter built into my computer I can get a whopping 480Mbps. Not very useful though since my ISP only allows 200 Mbps on my plan. Oh well

Optimizing 802.11ac Protocol Signal Strength

Last edited:
Solved: Britbox Can't Play - Roku Community

Not sure about BritBox in particular, but Roku hardware can be quite finicky. I returned one a few months ago. Which device do you have?

Right off I'd tell anyone contemplating using Roku to consider their more expensive device, the Roku Ultra. Mostly because it's one of the few devices that allows both 10/100 Ethernet and more importantly it allows 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz (N & AC) dual band capability. In other words if you're router can handle 5.0Ghz using AC protocol, use it to make the most of your Roku connection. 10/100 Ethernet isn't as fast as 100/1000 Ethernet, but at least the option allows for more consistent bandwidth rather than to depend on wireless.

One thing that spooked me about the smaller Roku sticks was the amount of heat they draw. Another thing to consider is using your wall plug for power rather than relying on a USB port on your smart tv to power the Roku device. In any event it's best to elevate your Roku device so it's not sitting directly on a surface. Give it some airflow above and below it. Something I do with all my electronic components so close together using steel shelves for an entertainment center.

View attachment 66597

With particular attention to my cable box which is on all the time and can get quite warm. Truth is, I even use a little 4 inch Holmes fan on my router and modem at the slowest, quietest speed. Keeps both components at room temperature. Hot components can potentially slow down or interfere with your Internet connection speed as well. Given the heat that Roku stick put out, if I get another Roku device I may place a small fan near it as well.

Roku

Another thing more complicated is thoroughly analyze your broadband Internet connection, both wired and wireless. Make sure you are getting the most out of your modem, router and are using current RG6 coaxial cables to give you optimal power.

Seems most learned folks agree that for basic streaming of movies and videos you should consistently be getting between 53 and 100 mbps. Anything less and you get a choppy presentation that may be constantly buffering. Ideally you should only get buffering at the beginning of a download and not much else. The Roku wireless stick I bought and returned was giving me a pitiful amount of bandwidth having to use the 2.4Ghz band. Not acceptable!

Consider downloading from the Microsoft Store a freeware app called "WiFi Analyzer" by Matt Hafner. It's a tool that monitors how strong or weak your wireless signal may be, and it also shows your neighbor's connection so you can try to use an optimal channel which hopefully has the least amount of users on it. This program allowed me to optimize how my router and network adapter antennas were pointing, apart from where to position my router relative to my computer's network adapter. Truth is, there's a lot that can hamper your wireless signal that you may be unaware of.

Another thing to do is to run a speed test on your Internet connection through Ookla:

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I recently discovered using wireless AC 5.0Ghz gives me relatively consistent speed using channel 48 and 40Mhz channel width that was done by changing my router's settings. There's really quite a few things to consider if your broadband is much less than what is advertised or that you're paying for. I pay for 200mbps and almost always get well above that in the speedtest. But it took a while to figure out how to optimize my router using 5.0Ghz. Though with a Gigabit Ethernet adapter built into my computer I can get a whopping 480Mbps. Not very useful though since my ISP only allows 200 Mbps on my plan. Oh well

Optimizing 802.11ac Protocol Signal Strength

This is tremendously helpful info, Judge. I'll get my husband to read this as he is much more technically inclined and informed than I am. I know we need a new router and to upgrade Roku. I'll get a small fan to cool the components, which I've elevated on wire mesh stands to allow the heat to dissipate. One of my heat-seeking cats loves to sleep on the receivor so I have to vacuum up her hair and dander all the time. Part of the heat problem is due to my leaving the TV turned on lengthy hours every day for the past year during the covid isolation.

This is tremendously helpful info, Judge. I'll get my husband to read this as he is much more technically inclined and informed than I am. I know we need a new router and to upgrade Roku. I'll get a small fan to cool the components, which I've elevated on wire mesh stands to allow the heat to dissipate. One of my heat-seeking cats loves to sleep on the receivor so I have to vacuum up her hair and dander all the time. Part of the heat problem is due to my leaving the TV turned on lengthy hours every day for the past year during the covid isolation.

This what I use to keep my router and modem cool. Use it on the lowest speed, and it's quiet. Of course my router and modem aren't inside my entertainment center. They're actually behind it in my bedroom, about three inches off the floor between where the left speaker and my subwoofer sits. So the router has a clear line-of-sight to my computer in my kitchen/dining room. Ideally you want to limit the number of walls and metal objects between a router and a network adapter.

Personal Rechargeable Fan Black - Holmes

Last edited:
This what I use to keep my router and modem cool. Use it on the lowest speed, and it's quiet. Of course my router and modem aren't inside my entertainment center. They're actually behind it in my bedroom, about three inches off the floor between where the left speaker and my subwoofer sits. So the router has a clear line-of-sight to my computer in my kitchen/dining room. Ideally you want to limit the number of walls and metal objects between a router and a network adapter.

Personal Rechargeable Fan Black - Hiolmes

That makes sense. My router sits on top of a bookcase in my home office so there are several walls between it and the TV where I watch Roku. I'll try to figure out how to reconfigure it.

That makes sense. My router sits on top of a bookcase in my home office so there are several walls between it and the TV where I watch Roku. I'll try to figure out how to reconfigure it.

The good news is your router on top of a bookcase. Produces less challenges and better thermodynamics than having it sit lower as in my case. The bad news? Those several walls. One wall is bad enough, always compounded by particularly solid, metal objects that might exist between the path of the router and your network adapter. Surprising for me to learn that multiple walls can attenuate even a 5.0Ghz signal.

Were you aware that within Roku's menus you can determine how strong the connection speed is that the Roku device itself is assessing? Useful, though in my case it indicated a pitiful connection speed, even though my router was only about 30 inches behind my bedroom wall from my tv and Roku device.

The more expensive versions of Roku do allow for receiving a 5.0Ghz signal or Megabit Ethernet, but one can still have challenges relative to how far away their router is, and whatever walls separate it from a network adapter. Of course with a long Ethernet cable one can extend their router to a closer wireless point relative to their network adapter or Roku device.

I'm still hoping Roku comes out with a device that has Gigabit Ethernet capability. Then I could run a Roku device directly from my Ethernet connection which gets a consistent 450+ Mbps. But until then, I suppose wireless at 5.0 might be my best bet, though clearly there are no guarantees. So many little quirks to consider in optimizing one's wireless Internet. :oops:

My ultimate solution to Roku may just be with getting Netflix instead. :p

Apparently there's a less noble reason behind that

Did read that article, either could be true. Bee blocking the ants tunnel entrance, or covering the scent of this bee from others to be moved later. There may be other reasons, that we don't understand as well, but think we do. I don't assume its a funeral, far too anthropomorphic.

Last edited:
The good news is your router on top of a bookcase. Produces less challenges and better thermodynamics than having it sit lower as in my case. The bad news? Those several walls. One wall is bad enough, always compounded by particularly solid, metal objects that might exist between the path of the router and your network adapter. Surprising for me to learn that multiple walls can attenuate even a 5.0Ghz signal.

Were you aware that within Roku's menus you can determine how strong the connection speed is that the Roku device itself is assessing? Useful, though in my case it indicated a pitiful connection speed, even though my router was only about 30 inches behind my bedroom wall from my tv and Roku device.

The more expensive versions of Roku do allow for receiving a 5.0Ghz signal or Megabit Ethernet, but one can still have challenges relative to how far away their router is, and whatever walls separate it from a network adapter. Of course with a long Ethernet cable one can extend their router to a closer wireless point relative to their network adapter or Roku device.

I'm still hoping Roku comes out with a device that has Gigabit Ethernet capability. Then I could run a Roku device directly from my Ethernet connection which gets a consistent 450+ Mbps. But until then, I suppose wireless at 5.0 might be my best bet, though clearly there are no guarantees. So many little quirks to consider in optimizing one's wireless Internet. :oops:

My ultimate solution to Roku may just be with getting Netflix instead. :p

No, I didn't know I can check connection speed with Roku's menus so I'll do that. At this point, I'm ready to upgrade to a more expensive version of Roku. I need some longer cable to move the router (which I intend to replace with a new one) to another bookcase in my office which will eliminate one wall and be close to the door so cut down on interference.

Can you get Netflix and BritBox without Roku? I thought you had to subscribe to Roku in order to get the various programming options, but what the heck do I know? :(

Thanks for your help, Judge. I'm a self-taught technological illiterate, basically. :confused:

No, I didn't know I can check connection speed with Roku's menus so I'll do that. At this point, I'm ready to upgrade to a more expensive version of Roku. I need some longer cable to move the router (which I intend to replace with a new one) to another bookcase in my office which will eliminate one wall and be close to the door so cut down on interference.

Can you get Netflix and BritBox without Roku? I thought you had to subscribe to Roku in order to get the various programming options, but what the heck do I know? :(

Thanks for your help, Judge. I'm a self-taught technological illiterate, basically. :confused:

Most "smart tvs" usually carry programming like YouTube and Netflix built into their own system. Even my old 2013 Samsung TV can do this. But if you don't have a smart tv that provides direct Internet access and specific channels, then you must rely on third-party hardware like a Roku device or Amazon's "Fire TV".

Technically you do have to subscribe to Roku, although to use their most basic services they come at no additional cost. But yeah, you have to input a credit card number anyways. But Roku is pretty cool in that from there you can access so many other forms of streaming media like Netflix or Peacock.

And then there are a half-dozen widescreen tv manufacturers that offer Roku physically built into their television sets. The "TCL" brand comes to mind. Probably the best of the lower-cost tvs. Beyond that the main requirements are having an additional HDMI port that a third-party device uses, and then whether or not that device must use an additional USB port as a power source. Some allow AC adapters where you can simply plug the USB power connector directly into a wall socket.

My main concern about the Roku devices is just the amount of heat they produce. So in using one I'd suggest making the most of a long HDMI cable that can allow you to place the device not only away from your tv set, but in a spot that allows for more air travel, and even more critically a spot that is more conducive to the best Internet signal from your router.

In this regard you might consider relocating your router, whether with a much longer Ethernet cable or not. And do you have a dual-band router? That could be a critical consideration with a better Roku device that allows you to access the 5.0Ghz band. Much faster that the usual 2.4Ghz. But as I mentioned in another post, the 5.0Ghz band can be finicky in optimizing it. But before you commit to buying a better Roku device that both allows an Ethernet connection and 5.0 band capability, consider assessing your existing Internet connection as to how good your signal is, and do whatever it takes to optimize it.

As I mentioned in another thread, I found it extremely useful to download the "WiFi Analyzer" app by Matt Hafner from the Microsoft Store. It allowed me measure my signal strength, and learn what channels to possibly avoid that my neighbors were using. Basic streaming media without a lot of buffering usually requires a minimum of between 53mbps and 100mbps. And ask your ISP if you don't already know what your maximum allotted speed is in your particular area. An issue that sadly can very tremendously depending on the hardware considerations of your ISP.

FM Attack - "Back to the 80's" Synthwave Mix
(Hope you enjoy the music as you watch 80's Iron Man fly along the Bifrost)

▼ Track List:

FM Attack - Sleepless Nights 0:00
FM Attack - Activate 6:45
FM Attack - Invisible 13:18
FM Attack - Stranger (ft. Mecha Maiko) 19:10
FM Attack - Magic (feat. Kristine) 24:45
FM Attack - Dark Blue Sky 29:16
FM Attack - With You Tonight 34:53
FM Attack - Dreamer 39:54
FM Attack - Ultraviolet 46:08
FM Attack - My Life 52:49
FM Attack - Echoes 59:13