• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last TV show you watched?

I'm three episodes into Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+ ...and there's some real issues.

The choices for dialogue are poor and full of pointless exposition that makes it drag...it even makes the fight scenes drag. I say pointless exposition because exactly what is talked about is basically two scenes away from being shown and explained in a better way...but there's no level of surprise excitement for what we are seeing because we just had a monologue / lecture about it...killing the suspense, even. Couple this with how Disney+ has decided to lean into making sure they will have ads mixed in the middle of their shows, now, and it's really off-putting. I'm serious. There are hard breaks in each episode about 6 different places...and it's annoying. It's always full go / hard stop after the break...or...drag stop / full go after the break immediately doing something you have to catch up with. The editing choices just really don't feel professional.

Otherwise, the acting is solid for the lines they have to work with, and the camera work is top notch.

I'm three episodes into Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+ ...and there's some real issues.

The choices for dialogue are poor and full of pointless exposition that makes it drag...it even makes the fight scenes drag. I say pointless exposition because exactly what is talked about is basically two scenes away from being shown and explained in a better way...but there's no level of surprise excitement for what we are seeing because we just had a monologue / lecture about it...killing the suspense, even. Couple this with how Disney+ has decided to lean into making sure they will have ads mixed in the middle of their shows, now, and it's really off-putting. I'm serious. There are hard breaks in each episode about 6 different places...and it's annoying. It's always full go / hard stop after the break...or...drag stop / full go after the break immediately doing something you have to catch up with. The editing choices just really don't feel professional.

Otherwise, the acting is solid for the lines they have to work with, and the camera work is top notch.
I somewhat agree with your assessment @Dagan. I think, at this point, that I give higher marks to the 2010 movie based on the same material. While the series adds scenes that were dropped from the movie, I think the movie had it over the TV equivalent in pacing and holding one's interest. The movie had a better cast a well, which is nothing against the cast of the TV version. I will continue to watch, but I am now more interested in the differences, knowing the basic story from the movie.

As for the ads you had to suffer through, I do not have those with the subscription I have, but other streamers have started putting in ads as well unless you are willing to pay more. This is mainly because they are all trying to increase their revenue stream.

Yeah, I need to clarify about the ads, sorry. I pay for the no-ads version, too, so I'm not seeing ads or having to sit through any ads...meant that, that's what those hard breaks that cut-to-black / jump cut to are for. They do have a cheaper option that does have ads in between their shows, so it's obvious to me that they edited the show from the start to "play well" with ads compared to if they just shot and edited it like it was regular, straight ahead cinematic style.

"The FBI" (Remastered 1965)

A nostalgic trip back to the golden age of television, to see a show with so many known character actors (at the time). Also to see that apparently the production required everyone to wear makeup that made them appear like they just came back from some serious hours under a sunlamp. And every vehicle driven by actors was always a Ford- their top corporate sponsor. :p

Still, I found the stories engaging. And to think of some nine seasons where they racked up some 241 episodes, averaging 26 a year. Yeah, tv was very different back then.

Remastered and available free on Tubi.

Last edited:
Watching all the Bond "James Bond" movies.
Just finished The Spy Who Loved Me.

Seen them all before, a long time ago. So, they are like new to me.

Extraordinary Attorney Woo. I adore the main character, and her friendship with Geum da-ri is so cute! I wish i had a friend like that that was loyal and protective of me

I binged ECHO.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

There's good news and bad news: The good news is that everyone who was a fight choreographer (or thinks they are) and has been slamming the leaked fight scene...probably feels stupid for jumping the gun, now. That fight scene, in full context (on and off screen details included) is set when Maya isn't the seasoned fighter just yet - it's her first dealing with any baddies and ole red himself, and per old red, if you recall the timeline, he wasn't at his best because he was coming off a bender of sorts. Couple this with the real life that Alaqua was dealing with pregnancy (you literally see her weight fluxuate the whole show), and she should be applauded more so. Otherwise, if anyone wants to say that fight scene wasn't technically sound, blame it on the fact that they wanted it to look like a one shot (which is only ever achieved as truly one shot...or lots of panning). One shot style footage is never going to look as awesome as traditional editing unless it's every actor is actually going full speed and doesn't care who gets hit and doesn't stop the scene.

The bad news is that Disney / Marvel have a very obvious (and I'm sure it's annoying to women) pattern of female heroes that always have to have this generational, girl-power team up or support system going on or to even understand who they are and how to function (and achieve any victory). Mrs. Marvel had to have generational visions and mom and grandma involved, Captain Marvel is more powerful than any other character but has to have different generations of help, Black Widow couldn't take on 1 and a half true villains without having to include her whole family, etc. etc. etc. and now, they do the same to Echo. The other issue I have is that my great grandmother's name is on the Dawe's list - Choctaw - long confirmed, so a long part of my heritage, lots of learning since - and I am rather torn in what was shoehorned into this character who never had said background or mystique at all and didn't ever need "powers" to defeat anyone. The respect for our culture is better and wiser than they achieved for Mrs. Marvel (that one had some real no-no's), but I wish a female hero could just be a badass "just because" like all of the men characters - not that I am some weird, male feminist or championing for them for internet clout or whatever BS - but because as a film study and a film goer, it's so distracting and belittling of the female characters to have to be exactly different from the guys and always have this sub-plotting that then takes away from the plot you actually want to see more of, and every climax is essentially a montage of visions / coming-of-self illusion set piece you'd expect from a Vegas residency show like Chris Angel would think of.

I binged ECHO.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

There's good news and bad news: The good news is that everyone who was a fight choreographer (or thinks they are) and has been slamming the leaked fight scene...probably feels stupid for jumping the gun, now. That fight scene, in full context (on and off screen details included) is set when Maya isn't the seasoned fighter just yet - it's her first dealing with any baddies and ole red himself, and per old red, if you recall the timeline, he wasn't at his best because he was coming off a bender of sorts. Couple this with the real life that Alaqua was dealing with pregnancy (you literally see her weight fluxuate the whole show), and she should be applauded more so. Otherwise, if anyone wants to say that fight scene wasn't technically sound, blame it on the fact that they wanted it to look like a one shot (which is only ever achieved as truly one shot...or lots of panning). One shot style footage is never going to look as awesome as traditional editing unless it's every actor is actually going full speed and doesn't care who gets hit and doesn't stop the scene.

The bad news is that Disney / Marvel have a very obvious (and I'm sure it's annoying to women) pattern of female heroes that always have to have this generational, girl-power team up or support system going on or to even understand who they are and how to function (and achieve any victory). Mrs. Marvel had to have generational visions and mom and grandma involved, Captain Marvel is more powerful than any other character but has to have different generations of help, Black Widow couldn't take on 1 and a half true villains without having to include her whole family, etc. etc. etc. and now, they do the same to Echo. The other issue I have is that my great grandmother's name is on the Dawe's list - Choctaw - long confirmed, so a long part of my heritage, lots of learning since - and I am rather torn in what was shoehorned into this character who never had said background or mystique at all and didn't ever need "powers" to defeat anyone. The respect for our culture is better and wiser than they achieved for Mrs. Marvel (that one had some real no-no's), but I wish a female hero could just be a badass "just because" like all of the men characters - not that I am some weird, male feminist or championing for them for internet clout or whatever BS - but because as a film study and a film goer, it's so distracting and belittling of the female characters to have to be exactly different from the guys and always have this sub-plotting that then takes away from the plot you actually want to see more of, and every climax is essentially a montage of visions / coming-of-self illusion set piece you'd expect from a Vegas residency show like Chris Angel would think of.

I think one thing that annoys me about Echo/Maya Lopez is that her ability in the comics was that she could mimic any fighter's combat style by observation alone - her effectively "echoing" their moves after only seeing them once thanks to having "photographic reflexes". However, the creators of the show scrapped that because they claimed that her ability in the comics was "lame".

To this, I beg to differ. As another example of a female character who has the ability to mimic other fighting styles, you have Zen from the 2008 Thai film Chocolate - with Zen been a Thai girl who is also Autistic and has been learning martial arts styles by copying the boys who train at a nearby Muay Thai Kickboxing School, along with playing fighting games and watching martial arts movies (including those with Tony Jaa and Bruce Lee).
Her fight scenes were great - with Zen's actress doing all her fights without a stunt double - and I genuinely liked Zen as a character more than I liked Maya, while the movie's villain was also a lot more intimidating than Echo's version of the Kingpin, who has been badly downgraded since the Hawkeye TV series (especially since the Daredevil TV series on Netflix is apparently in the same canon timeline as the MCU now).

If you haven't seen the film Chocolate, I recommend it.

Chocolate is a great film, yes. Chiming in to say that the same things we've stated on Percy Jackson and Echo are finally coming out in public reviews. That tells me that Disney had everyone signed to review embargos for a full quarter (three months). EDIT (to clarify): Review embargos start month prior to release - it covers all pre-promotion and marketing hype for the show - so...month prior / month of / month removed - quarter-length standard embargo / sign the NDA's, etc. etc. The big shot studios do this regularly, actually. If not this, they are going the other route of paying for good reviews (paying Rotten Tomatoes or such). Reel Spoilers and Screen Rant, by the way, are among the only acquaintances that I feel I can still trust with their reviews. I don't know anyone with Red Letter Media, but I like their full on honesty, too.

Reacher season 2 was well done. Changes were made, but it didn't look like any were majorly forced by labor issues, production issues or anything that remotely came across as trying to pander to any audience. Updates and just cut corners a little bit were done, and it was just fine. Enjoyable show, still. Season 3 is going to follow Child's novel called, Persuader, so we're going to definitely get more of a Punisher style Reacher next go.

New Threads

Top Bottom