• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

Except Cincinnati chili has a unique spice mix. It has a sweeter edge with chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. I like to add sour cream as a topping for 5 way.
chocolate and nutmeg, in chili and pasta? Is it like mole sauce? I don't understand. Please explain the flavor.

chocolate and nutmeg, in chili and pasta? Is it like mole sauce? I don't understand. Please explain the flavor.
Well the first thing to know is that Cincinnati chili has literally nothing to do with chili con carne.

It was invented by a pair of Bulgarian immigrants who were born in Macedonia (the geographic region, not what's now the country of North Macedonia, the town they were born in was part of the Ottoman Empire and then was later annexed by and is now part of Greece), and it's basically a variant of spiced meat sauces common in places like Greece and Macedonia.

As for the flavor, imagine something like bolognese sauce but with the Italian herbs and spices replaced with spices that are common in Greek meat sauces. (Also the chocolate is almost always unsweetened chocolate but not all variants of Cincinnati chili has it, the canned Skyline chili buy doesn't have chocolate)

It's good!

Curried Lentils with coconut milk in the pressure cooker and steamed brown rice. It's so rich and complex that I end up having it for lunch and dinner most days until it's gone. Doused with generous amounts of hot sauces!
Hot sauce variety is the spice of life!

Curried Lentils with coconut milk in the pressure cooker and steamed brown rice. It's so rich and complex that I end up having it for lunch and dinner most days until it's gone. Doused with generous amounts of hot sauces!
Hot sauce variety is the spice of life!
The phrase 'variety is the spice of life' was first seen in 1785, in William Cowper's poem The Task: “Variety is the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavor.”

What does that mean...?
full
New potatoes are freshly harvested young, or small, potatoes. They are the same varieties as their larger counterparts, but are harvested earlier in the season when they are sweet than their older counterparts. Also, because these potatoes are harvested young, their skins are very tender and flaky.

It is quite a sweeter flavor than ancho based chilis. The mix of pork and beef brings out the umami. Think of the ground beef in pastitsio. Instead of water in the recipe, I use beer.

Last edited:
Except Cincinnati chili has a unique spice mix. It has a sweeter edge with chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. I like to add sour cream as a topping for 5 way.

It has a flavor reminiscent of sloppy joes. BTW, I make pastitsio with ground lamb. Yum.

I made clam chowder. But we don't eat a lot of shellfish. So I made it with pollock fillets instead of clams. I promise, it had the same flavor and texture as any clam chowder you could eat.

I made clam chowder. But we don't eat a lot of shellfish. So I made it with pollock fillets instead of clams. I promise, it had the same flavor and texture as any clam chowder you could eat.

I like this idea of making the chowder with fish instead of clams. I like the flavor of clams but I have a huge sensory issue with biting down on grit or sand. I feel like the likely sensation of biting down on an electrical cord or something. It sends an unpleasant shock-like reverberation through my whole body. Not worth it. So no clams or mussels for me as a result. Picking fish bones out of my mouth? No problem. Fish bones don't send the jolting shock through my whole system. Lightly gum the clams and essentially swallow them whole rather than chewing them up? No.

Did you make New England style or Manhattan style?

I like this idea of making the chowder with fish instead of clams. I like the flavor of clams but I have a huge sensory issue with biting down on grit or sand. I feel like the likely sensation of biting down on an electrical cord or something. It sends an unpleasant shock-like reverberation through my whole body. Not worth it. So no clams or mussels for me as a result. Picking fish bones out of my mouth? No problem. Fish bones don't send the jolting shock through my whole system. Lightly gum the clams and essentially swallow them whole rather than chewing them up? No.

Most pollock fillets are boneless and skinless. I've never found a bone in pollock. So that's a good thing.

Also, pollock is what most fish sticks or restaurant fish sandwiches are made from. It's a very neutral flavor. Sort of buttery. Not very fishy. I like it a lot.

New England, cream based...

Well actually it was Oregon Coast style. There is a famous clam chowder restaurant here in Oregon, on the coast, called "Mo's Clam Chowder". I try to replicate their recipe. So good.

New England style for me! Manhattan is okay but I really like the potatoes and cream in traditional chowder.

I enjoy a Manhattan clam chowder. I do not like the creamy type. Mine is loaded with leeks.
Most pollock fillets are boneless and skinless. I've never found a bone in pollock. So that's a good thing.

Also, pollock is what most fish sticks or restaurant fish sandwiches are made from. It's a very neutral flavor. Sort of buttery. Not very fishy. I like it a lot.

New England, cream based...

Well actually it was Oregon Coast style. There is a famous clam chowder restaurant here in Oregon, on the coast, called "Mo's Clam Chowder". I try to replicate their recipe. So good.
I have had razor class in Oregon, and I enjoy those more than Abalone. A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a mound of Cedar Key littleneck clams with garlic butter. I was in heaven.

A casserole with brown rice, ground beef, cooked fresh spinach, frozen peas, frozen corn, frozen okra, and chipotle hot sauce for seasoning. Cheap, healthy, filling and tasty.

New Threads

Top Bottom