• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

Chicken chili.

Even parts pinto, black, and red beans, cooked until tender. Meat of four drumsticks, boiled with adobo seasoning mix, and deboned. All combined with a little of the chicken broth, one can of tomato paste, canned tomatoes, okra, and corn, diced fresh celery, carrots, and onions. Dash of cider vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, paprika, red pepper flakes, oregano, cloves, black pepper, and two diced cloves of black glarlic.

I baked a chicken pot pie on Sunday. It was actually a two crust pie and not a true pot pie. I made both the crust and the pie filling myself. The chicken was a little dry but overall it was a success!

I baked a chicken pot pie on Sunday. It was actually a two crust pie and not a true pot pie. I made both the crust and the pie filling myself. The chicken was a little dry but overall it was a success!

I love pot pies. I know what you mean about how they can be dry, so I make sure there is plenty of gravy/sauce/liquid added to the filling.

If I have leftover meat, I always think about making a pot pie!

I make some solid burgers according to family members. It's a simple recipe, though.

3lbs of ground turkey (because it doesn't shrink like beef - better for you, too)
2 tablespoons of parsley
1 packet of au jus powder
1 tablespoon of Sazon (the tropical / orange blend)

Mix the spices in by hand, patty them out, cook them however you like, and you put whatever you want on them. The burgers alone are going to have flavor that will stand out.

I love pot pies. I know what you mean about how they can be dry, so I make sure there is plenty of gravy/sauce/liquid added to the filling.

If I have leftover meat, I always think about making a pot pie!
I agree, I thought I had enough gravy but maybe not. Additionally, I think next time I want to play with the recipe a bit and make it more of a curry chicken pie. I searched for some ideas the other evening and think I found some I can try. I love regular chicken pie but it can be a little bland.

Tonite was so simple, protein yogurt with two bananas and blend for a smoothie. Then some animal cookies with frosting, very tacky, yet somehow made me smile. But l have a huge bag of kale that will be cooked with garlic, and maybe some soy sauce, and avocado oil.

I agree, I thought I had enough gravy but maybe not. Additionally, I think next time I want to play with the recipe a bit and make it more of a curry chicken pie. I searched for some ideas the other evening and think I found some I can try. I love regular chicken pie but it can be a little bland.

Curry chicken sounds good. Exotic, too! Let me know how it comes out.

Another idea that might be good is to add herbs or spices to the dough. I'd like to try that - make plain pie pastry dough but add chopped parsley, tarragon, basil, sage, scallions or something like that to it, and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. You're inspiring me! We'll have lots of leftover turkey after Thanksgiving so I can experiment.

I always brush the top of the pastry with an egg wash (a beaten egg with a little water in it) so it browns and looks glossy when its baked and add some flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper on top of the egg wash.

I forgot to mention that when you get Sazon seasoning on your hands...they turn orange. Use latex or nitril gloves, if you don't want it looking like a can of spray tan busted while you held it.

Curry chicken sounds good. Exotic, too! Let me know how it comes out.

Another idea that might be good is to add herbs or spices to the dough. I'd like to try that - make plain pie pastry dough but add chopped parsley, tarragon, basil, sage, scallions or something like that to it, and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. You're inspiring me! We'll have lots of leftover turkey after Thanksgiving so I can experiment.

I always brush the top of the pastry with an egg wash (a beaten egg with a little water in it) so it browns and looks glossy when its baked and add some flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper on top of the egg wash.
I also always use an egg wash on my crusts - I don't know why, the pie is for me, but it always looks so picture perfect after it cools.

I've never seasoned my crusts, except for fruit pies where I put a little sugar in the crust - but not too much, just a little to make it a bit sweeter than just plain old crust. Do you use shortening or butter in your crust? I have used both exclusively and then a mixture. I find that the mixture is the best. A pure butter crust is so darn hard to work with! But the shortening only crust is so blah.

a pound of broccoli
two big apples
half a lime

In crock pot.
Then put in blender.

Freeze in three peanut butter jars,
to use for making biscuit things later.

I also always use an egg wash on my crusts - I don't know why, the pie is for me, but it always looks so picture perfect after it cools.

I've never seasoned my crusts, except for fruit pies where I put a little sugar in the crust - but not too much, just a little to make it a bit sweeter than just plain old crust. Do you use shortening or butter in your crust? I have used both exclusively and then a mixture. I find that the mixture is the best. A pure butter crust is so darn hard to work with! But the shortening only crust is so blah.

I use half butter and half shortening to make pie dough. I agree - pure butter doesn't make as flaky a crust as with shortening.

An ordinary mac & cheese casserole, but with diced Spam mixed in and Velveeta slices on top. It came out of the oven all bubbly, and with a nicely browned cheesy crust on top.

There were no leftovers.

Back to instant guacamole, just avocado mixed with salsa, then make my own taco chips, drizzle Sriracha mayo, and chips and dip.

My science experiment.

I bought a Walmart "great value" supreme pizza. Added pepperoni, white onions, black olives, green pepper, parsley, mozzarella and a little colby-jack cheese.

It will go into the oven in t-minus 27 minutes and counting. 425 degrees for about 17 minutes to get a crispy crust.

An ordinary mac & cheese casserole, but with diced Spam mixed in and Velveeta slices on top. It came out of the oven all bubbly, and with a nicely browned cheesy crust on top.

There were no leftovers.
I am going to make something similar for Thanksgiving, except with bacon.

Magic brownies. Just one is enough for any evening. If you are under 21, you cannot have one.

New Threads

Top Bottom