• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last movie you watched?

I am way behind the times, as I dug out my DVD of "The Right Stuff."

My father often double-dated with one of his best friends at the Naval Academy.

Do you recognize him in this picture Dad took ? :cool:

Double_Date_zps47zyiudl.jpg

Hint: He was portrayed by one of the actors in the picture above this one. ;)

I'm going to say it's Wally Schirra. That's just too cool, as Wally was my favorite.

Yep. It's Wally Schirra. After they graduated and were into their Navy careers, Dad tried a number of times to get Wally as a guest speaker at a number of CEC/Seabee events. But they lost touch with each other given the occupational and PR demands of Wally's job. And the rest is indeed, history.

All those great midshipmen from Annapolis...the class of 46. Those who had to do it in three years instead of four because of the demands of World War Two.

Funny to think how much my father appreciated a good practical joke. He learned from the best. :p

BTW, have you seen "From The Earth To The Moon" ? Every bit as engaging as "The Right Stuff". Gotta love the old man behind the bar in "Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club." General Chuck Yeager himself. What a legend. :cool:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120570/

Last edited:
I've never seen "From the Earth to the Moon," but I do have a copy of "Moonshot."

Oh man...then you simply must see it! You can even buy the entire set of DVDs for a cheap price if you can find it. It's a collaboration of Tom Hanks and others like Ron Howard. Sort of a super-extended version of "Apollo 13" covering the entire space program with emphasis on Apollo from start to finish.

I especially enjoyed the levity of the Apollo 12 crew in the film. Strangely enough, in going throuh my father's old photos, I found a signed picture of the Apollo 12 crew. Wondering if it's the real deal. Have no idea my father even had it. He passed away many years ago.

I also watched the one and only season of "The Astronaut's Wives Club". Pretty tough to watch at times, but it did seem to paint an accurate picture of things behind the scenes. Even "From The Earth To The Moon" also had an episode on the wives and their contribution and largely untold story.

But yes, it s my father's friendship with Wally Schirra to tied us to intensely to the space program while growing up. I still revere it...although I know I'll never live long enough to see a manned flight to mars.

Last edited:
The thing I can't understand is why we can't do it again. The technology we have is better than what we had forty plus years ago, so we should do it. If anything, use the moon as a training base for a Mars mission. It would be better than pouring money into the ISS that seems to be nothing more than a money-pit.

A critical element of "From The Earth To The Moon" dealt with the subsequent barrage of politicians led by Walter Mondale with the intent to kill NASA for largely fiscal reasons. The deaths and fire of the Apollo 1 crew really put this to a test. Mondale failed, but his efforts and agenda left a lasting imprint on NASA. Many proponents of big government continue to want to spend tax revenue in other ways than space exploration.

I also liked in the "Right Stuff" how they showed the frustration and anger of Gus Grissom over the controversy regarding failure of his capsule hatch to properly blow. He was right. Sadly long after his death, his capsule was eventually recovered and forensically studied to conclude that the hatch indeed exploded on its own. Gus didn't "screw the pooch". A great pilot and astronaut.

And in "From The Earth To The Moon", they did a decent job explaining all the events that led up to the disastrous fire inside the capsule of Apollo 1. Very interesting stuff.

But yeah, I too eat up anything factual on tv or film about NASA. :)

One Day. (Anne Hathaway's)
I forgot the name of the biscuit that Sylvie eat in the swimming pool scene, anyone can tell me if you've watched it? :rolleyes:

Saw The Witch last night, and I liked it. I've heard of a lot of people not liking it, but I think it's worth seeing if you're looking for something a bit quieter and more subtle than most mainstream horror movies and that's more interested in getting under your skin than making you scream. It might be the closest thing to an "art movie" out in wide release right now (more than one person has compared it a bit to Lars Von Trier's Antichrist). I want to see it again when it gets to DVD/Blu-Ray.

Saw Grimsby last night.

I quite enjoyed it since it was pretty absurd humor. Which was funny in that people who were with me commented that "you could've written those jokes". At least I know what those people think of me, lol... absurdist, residential jokester.

I recently watched the Deadpool movie, quite funny, good dialogue. I'll look forward to the sequel.

New Threads

Top Bottom