• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What toys did you have as a child and how did you play with them?

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
Another reason why I don't get how I got diagnosed with Asperger's so young, is because I have so many memories (so do my parents) of playing with toys the "normal" way. I don't really know what that's supposed to mean exactly, but I'm guessing what it means is with imagination and not too repetitive.

For example I had those little Polly Pockets, and I'd arrange them into a street and then just play with the tiny little people in them, like making the selected mother drop the children off at the little school Polly Pocket then going on to the little supermarket Polly Pocket to do her shopping. I was basically mimicking my mum, as she would often go to the supermarket after dropping me off at school. But that's not the only thing I did with my Polly Pockets, it's just one example that I remember doing.

And I had a doll's house where I'd play a normal family with the little dolls, like putting them into their beds at night, placing the furniture in different places according to which game I was playing within the dolls house, and of course making the dolls socially interact with each other.

And I remember a toy kitchen I got for my 4th birthday. I remember making meals with the plastic food for my mum, dad and grandparents, then washing them up in the sink (no water, only pretend). Also I remember wanting to have a teddy bear's picnic with my grandmother, using the cups and saucers that came with the toy kitchen.
I remember one time trying to make a soup in the little teapot (don't forget I was only 4 so had no idea that you don't make real soup in a real teapot, also child's play isn't usually logical), by shoving as many pieces of plastic food into the toy teapot as I could, then getting upset because I couldn't get the food items back out. My brother came along and said "the food doesn't go in the teapot" and pulled it all out for me, with great difficulty. I learnt not to do that again.

Did anyone else here play with toys the "normal" way? If not, how did you play with your toys as a child?

My mother would say I didn't really play with toys - I was just busy busy. Not sure exactly what she means, but I assume it is like my youngest son who I suspect is ND. He never was interested in toys. From before he could walk to about age four, he was obsessed with drawers and latches. He took every small-ish object we owned and stuck them in random obscure drawers we didn't even know we had. Drove us crazy.

Then when I got older (like first through third grades), I was obsessed with reading dictionaries and animal textbooks. I had some mini furniture and My Little Ponies which I played with, but overall that wasn't too common compared to books.

I had many Barbies, castles, and stuffed animals, but playing with them always seemed like a waste of time to me, and I felt "silly" doing it.
However, I had a one-meter-tall doll,called Bloom that I treated like a human being; we didn't talk, but communicated "mentally," and I took her everywhere.
Then I had Pistachio, a green polyester bear stuffed with polystyrene ball, and I also took him everywhere, but again, I didn't play with him.
I bought many dolls, but it was only to display them, not to play with them.
I enjoyed observing flies, hair, and nails under the microscope and painting toy soldiers. I often created villages but didn't play with them, and no one was allowed to touch them.

For the rest (since I was criticized several times for the type of games), I enjoyed playing with a computer that had a mix of games to stimulate the mind, including battleship, mystery game, logical sequences, and various mathematical operations. I liked taking apart and putting back together Rubik's cubes as if they were puzzles.
I have a memory of trying to build a house for mice with ash (thinking it was cement)! I wanted them to stay warm and have a roof over their heads. One thing that got me scolded many times is that every time I found a dead animal like lizards, birds, hedgehogs (small animals), I buried them.
Usually, I made a small cross with popsicle sticks and glue, always wrote them a little letter and buried it with them, then said some nice words, and finally covered everything with flowers. I cried a lot because I found it unfair that they were left there and no one bothered to bury them and give them the respect that a living being deserves. I still do this.

I didn't mind my toys being touched, but sometimes I'd cry if I came home from school to find my toys packed away when I was planning on resuming a game I was playing with them. But I have heard that is quite normal for children.

I wasn't the type of child to like reading. Often my mum would encourage me to read but I just didn't want to. The schools encouraged reading too and so we were made to take a library book home each week to read to our parents, which I did, but I struggled. I wasn't dyslexic or anything, I just found reading difficult to focus on. Sometimes I read books but usually books that were aimed at younger children.

I don't think I played toys in an unusual manner. I didn't get how to play pretend exactly and I found it boring, tho, apparently that's an aspie thing. I put my toys in lines too and organised them. I used to have many of these aspie traits as a child, especially a small child, now not so much. I also didn't know how to approach other kids and join them for a short period of time. I counted things and memorized number plates and all kinds of other numbers. I took a lot of interest in number plates, calendars, clocks, patterns in kindergarten and elementary school. Later I found things like that extremely boring and my interests shifted to typical teenager interests such as relationships, fitting in, guitar, style, sports, drawing, photography, writing...

I was basically mimicking my mum, as she would often go to the supermarket after dropping me off at school. But that's not the only thing I did with my Polly Pockets, it's just one example that I remember doing.
I mimicked what my parents and I did too while playing with plushies and dolls. It's not like I had no clue how to play pretened, but I wasn't very creative with it, didn't come up with many ideas and found it boring and wanted to quit quickly. I was more into Lego blocks and all kinds of games. And playing outside and playing pretend about being on an adventure and competition rather than playing house or something like that. Idk, I feel like girls prefer to play house, it has to be taken into account.

I didn't mind my toys being touched, but sometimes I'd cry if I came home from school to find my toys packed away when I was planning on resuming a game I was playing with them. But I have heard that is quite normal for children.
Ihate it when someone touches or moves my stuff, but it's rather becasue I'm a perfectionist and they are likely to mess it up ;) or leave it in the wrong place and I won't find it ever again or it will take me half an hour.

GI Joe - 3.75 inch action figures. I would use them to play out the movie scripts I didn't know I was already writing in my head. Essentially, I was producing and directing these action, heist, sci-fi, horror, war, etc. films in my room or the backyard. I would save every cardboard box, confiscate any/all packing, duct, masking, medical tapes (my dad always hated that, haha) and build my "sets" pretty much.

I had dolls but I found them boring. I loved books animals and the outdoors. The only toys I really remember playing with are my bike, my Annie Oakley six gun cowgirl outfit and my Lionel train that puffed smoke. One year I got 3 copies of Black Beauty. I was in heaven because I loved horses.

I liked to get creative with Action Man figures. Before I saved up enough pocket money to buy paratrooper Action Man, I used carrier bags as parachutes and dropped them out of a window. I also had a zip line harness accessory and I would run string from door handles, lights and shelves and have them zip line around the house.

I also had a metal dump truck and when my grandfather was no longer able to plant potatoes in his garden, I turned half of it into a dirt track for the dump truck. Then I would push the truck around the track, load it up with dirt then push it all the way back and unload it.

Like my clothing, my initial toys were hand-me-downs from my elder brother: Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, plastic soldiers, Erector Sets, various toy vehicles from the UK. A lot of the American made toys seemed to be made in Skokie IL for some reason.
Later my parents got me my own toys such as Legos, Spirograph, Wizzzers, capguns, and....Creepy Crawlers!
Who knows what the ingredients were in those edible ones.......

I had imagination that I used easily, but as a part of learning through play children do mimick what they see their caregivers doing. Like when children's parents argue a lot the children can sometimes act out their parents arguments in their dolls house.
I made up my own scenarios too.

Sometimes I reenacted my favourite scenes from my favourite movies during imaginary play, but not every time I played an imaginary game. I often made up my own scenarios too. I found role playing easier with other children, although I did role play on my own too.

The thing I didn't get on so well with was competitive games, because I couldn't handle it when I lost at a game, such as a board game or a physical game. I think it was because I was afraid of ridicule or just failure. I also had a problem with going last in an activity we took turns with. Kids often made me go last, and I used to think it was because I was the least best, and I'd make an issue of it. One time I was with a group of kids and we were all taking in turns having a go on a rope swing they had made on a tree. There was about 6 of us, but I was last. I cried the whole time until it was my go, but I still wasn't happy with the thought of being last, so I went home in a sulk.

Yes I was often a sulky, attention-seeking child.

Legos is the first thing that comes to mind (I'm danish after all) :) doll house, dolls, smurfs, smurf house, stuffed animals, toy cars (lining up, sorting, moving in long lines, got a check mark in my autism evaluation for that one), Disney cartoons, loved reading and collecting them, kept in strict sorted order, board games, and a little battery operated toy mixer, loved being in the kitchen with that "helping" my mother, another check mark in my evaluation, childhood special interest carried into adulthood :) I hated if anyone touched my toys.

I had Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars and liked to make them crash into each other and then more cars would try to help out only to crash into the other cars and piled up into a mountain. Basically the police would come to help and crash and then the ambulance would appear and crash into the other three cars and it just continued that way

I had lots of books, art supplies and played with them in a very orderly fashion. I did have barbies but only played with them to either appease my dad or people around me. I didnt praticularly like playing with them.Also loved and was quite obsessed with sports. I would have friends either call or come to the door and ask to play and I would say "no Im good"
my mom responding "are you sure honey"
"Ummm yep that sounds terrible" (I was 5)

My brothers and I would play with old metal trucks, blocks, roads maps, farm animals etc but only in a realistic way. Carrying the blocks one by one somewhere driving properly on the road stopping at the stop signs thats the only reason I liked to spend time with them. And yet I was only recently diagnosed.

Creepy Crawlers, yes, l discovered the joy of those at my aunt's house. I didn't have much because we were house poor. We had a house, just nothing else. My parents did buy a board game on buying stocks. And my first passive income was buying stocks. I had my favorite little dog puppet which l named Robespierre. Here is a little history on that French name.

My mum told me that when I was 2 years and 6 months old my great aunt came to visit, who hadn't visited since my second birthday, so I hadn't laid eyes on her for 6 months. But as soon as she walked in the door I looked up at her then pointed at her and said to my mum, "great auntie [name]". So I obviously remembered her face and her name, and was generally interested in people.
I have a photo of me as a baby (around 8 months) sitting on the settee with other babies around the same age (my mum's friend's or relative's babies), and I'm looking at them in awe. They look in awe too, like they're all thinking "oh there are lots of me here". My facial expression looked rather amused. My mum said I got along with other babies (as far as typical babies are able to get on that is, I mean it's not like babies are going to make small talk and tell jokes, but for a baby I seemed interested in other babies as well as children and adults).

As a little kid I had lots of little plastic army men that I used to line up.i also had loads of matchbox metal cars,again I used to line them up surprise surprise.then I found lego and played with that for about 7 years

I had Lego but I seemed to have difficulty building large things with it, so I got my mum to design and build large things like a Lego school. Then I'd play with the little Lego men in it, pretending they were children and teachers.

I read somewhere that it is quite normal for NT children to not like their toys being moved while they're at school if they're planning on carrying on where they left off when last played with them. I was like that too. Sometimes I'd play with my toys before school, then leave them where they were so that I could resume my game when I came home from school. My parents usually respected this but sometimes my aunt would visit with my cousin (who was a toddler then) and she would mess up all my toys and leave a huge mess in my room and drool all over my favourite toys. To solve this I'd sometimes select a few toddler-friendly toys I had and bring them downstairs so that when my cousin came while I was at school she'd be happily occupied with toys and not feel the need to have to go up to my room.
I came up with the idea myself (I was only 5 or 6 at the time), and my mum said I was being kind by sharing my toys.

My daughter had Polly pocket, and of course, My Little Pony. She basically lined up everything. It was more of an organizational endeavor than actually playing with them. She also organized her Halloween candy into piles. And was quite delighted with herself, so of course l grabbed a picture. When she was younger, l had some cute software games to play. At some point, l bought Sims, which kept her quite occupied. She would take a break and come into the kitchen and tell me, the kitchen set on fire from food burning, and the house burned down, AGAIN. Of course, l just laughed. She wasn't quite a tween. (Thank you to whoever invented that game). Then Pokémon entered into our life, and everything was on hold for several years. This was definitely a special interest. And of course, all the special game cards that went with the game. She had a younger friend who was also just as obsessed, so that was a couple of years devoted to that.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom