• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What supplements or medications do you take?

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I've mentioned occasionally here before that I have an unusual interest in these things and enjoy spending considerable amounts of time reading the labels on all the bottles at the store. I also get excited anytime someone tells me about something they take.

I don't have any inclination to say what I'm taking but for the sake of presumed reciprocity:

:Adderall - 15mg 3x day
:Lithium, - 600mg 2x day
:Wellbutrin - 300mg
:Gabapentin - as needed, usually approaching 1600mg per day
:Risperdal - 2mg
:Fish oil EPA: - 1,200mg, DHA, 900mg
:L-theanine -200mg 3x day
:Chamomile extract - 500mg 3x day
:A supplement containing - Vitaming C (40mg), Niacin (20mg), Calcium (28 mg), Magnesium as Chelated Magnesium (75mg), GABA (500mg), Ashwagandha (300mg), L-theanine (100mg), Luteolin (40mg), Chamomile Flower Extract (40 mg), Polygonum cuspidatum extract (25mg), Black Pepper (5 mg)
:Multi-vitamin derived from sea vegetables

Wow you're on a lotta stuff Fino, I take vit B complex a few times a week and vit C oh weekly, depends, smokers tend to get vitC deficient, so that's why.

My biggest supplement by far is Nicotine, I love smokin' :)

Im sorta interested in nutrition stuff too, often look to dietary sources, but some things block absorption, like calcium blocks iron absorption which is why kosher can be good, not that I'm Jewish, but that's a good workaround...and grapefruit is notorious for interfering with absorption, but I like it a lot.

I like doses of raw magnetism ☺ but l am unsure how many milligrams that works out to.
If l could- l would take Q10, turmeric, zinc and electrolytes.

I've mentioned occasionally here before that I have an unusual interest in these things and enjoy spending considerable amounts of time reading the labels on all the bottles at the store. I also get excited anytime someone tells me about something they take.

I don't have any inclination to say what I'm taking but for the sake of presumed reciprocity:

:Adderall - 15mg 3x day
:Lithium, - 600mg 2x day
:Wellbutrin - 300mg
:Gabapentin - as needed, usually approaching 1600mg per day
:Risperdal - 2mg
:Fish oil EPA: - 1,200mg, DHA, 900mg
:L-theanine -200mg 3x day
:Chamomile extract - 500mg 3x day
:A supplement containing - Vitaming C (40mg), Niacin (20mg), Calcium (28 mg), Magnesium as Chelated Magnesium (75mg), GABA (500mg), Ashwagandha (300mg), L-theanine (100mg), Luteolin (40mg), Chamomile Flower Extract (40 mg), Polygonum cuspidatum extract (25mg), Black Pepper (5 mg)
:Multi-vitamin derived from sea vegetables

In the past I have taken some of those you listed, including Gabapentin, Lithium, L-Theanine, Ashwagandha, and fish oil. However, the ones I take now are:

Flaxseed Oil 1400 mg daily
Methyl Multi without Iron (Multi-Vitamin mfg. by Pure Theropro)
Acetyl L- Carnitine 2000 mg daily
Alpha Lipoic Acid 1200 mg daily
Melatonin Sustain (includes 2mg vitamin B6)
Trimethylglycine (TMG)1000 mg daily
Vitamins D w/Vitamin K 4000 IU daily
Calm (magnesium citrate)
CBD Oil

Prescriptions:
Tamsulisin HCL
Allopurinol
Otezla
Doxepin
Escitalopram
Chlorthalidone
Testosterone Gel

Last edited:
Well, mine are:

Funky capsule thing: I cant remember the name, so sue me. It's to control stomach acid. I developed acid problems after being on the Nightmare Pill for a month (prednesone). So this works well at preventing heartburn and reflux. Useful.

Wellbutrin: Keeps my mood stable. Theoretically.

Allegra: Keeps me sane. Okay technically it keeps my allergies at bay. Same thing.

Lamictal: ???

White vitamin pill: It's vitamins, duh

Cyclobenzaprine: Muscle relaxer. It also did away with my insomnia. So that's nice.

Horse tranquilizers... er, I mean, Tramadol: Very heavy painkiller. Really strong stuff. Four Advil at once doesnt do a bloody thing? ONE of these sure will. This is one of those meds you're supposed to be very careful with. Technically a narcotic, it can produce full addiction. I take it as rarely as possible. It's only for days when the pain is really nasty. Fortunately, I've been using it less and less over time, as my physical therapy progresses. Havent had to take any in a couple of weeks.

The absolute max dose of those last two is taking two of each at once. That's for when the pain is so bad that you're feeling desperate. I've only done that a couple of times. The last time I did it, I nearly fell asleep standing up. While in a bathroom, which would have meant a bad fall. Scared the heck outta me (but boy did I ever get a good night's sleep afterwards). Since then, I just refuse to do that.

Those last two, I was put on them after a car accident. I'll never forget it either: I really, REALLY dont like taking new pills, after the Prednesone incident. I tend to be very reluctant and will usually try to avoid having to do it. But that time, this big scary nurse lady came in and literally got me into the corner of the room, and then she just stood there until I took the things. Could tell she'd dealt with reluctant patients before.

In the past I have taken some of those you listed, including Gabapentin, Lithium, L-Theanine, Ashwagandha, and fish oil. However, the ones I take now are:

Flaxseed Oil 1400 mg daily
Methyl Multi without Iron (Multi-Vitamin mfg. by Pure Theropro)
Acetyl L- Carnitine 2000 mg daily
Alpha Lipoic Acid 1200 mg daily
Melatonin Sustain (includes 2mg vitamin B6)
Trimethylglycine (TMG)1000 mg daily
Vitamins D w/Vitamin K 4000 IU daily
Calm (magnesium citrate)

Prescriptions:
Tamsulisin HCL
Allopurinol
Otezla
Doxepin
Escitalopram
Chlorthalidone
Testosterone Gel

Thank you for answering!

I've tried all of those supplements except for that specific multi-vitamin. I've never seen one quite like that! Everything is in a different form than I'm used to! And I hope your medications are working, otherwise it seems you'd be in quite a bit of pain. Are you taking Escitalopram for anxiety, depression, or both? Are you taking Chlorthalidone for high blood pressure or fluid retention? Are you taking Doxepin orally or topically?

Wow you're on a lotta stuff Fino, I take vit B complex a few times a week and vit C oh weekly, depends, smokers tend to get vitC deficient, so that's why.

My biggest supplement by far is Nicotine, I love smokin' :)

Im sorta interested in nutrition stuff too, often look to dietary sources, but some things block absorption, like calcium blocks iron absorption which is why kosher can be good, not that I'm Jewish, but that's a good workaround...and grapefruit is notorious for interfering with absorption, but I like it a lot.

Thank you for answering!

And this is the least I've been taking in a while! It can get crazy when you're fascinated with something ingestible. I like how intermittently you take those supplements. I could never live like that!

I used to smoke! It was never addictive for me, although I enjoyed it. If the smell didn't get on you, I might have continued.

I like doses of raw magnetism ☺ but l am unsure how many milligrams that works out to.
If l could- l would take Q10, turmeric, zinc and electrolytes.

What's stopping you from taking those things? I forgot about turmeric. I eat that.

Well, mine are:

Funky capsule thing: I cant remember the name, so sue me. It's to control stomach acid. I developed acid problems after being on the Nightmare Pill for a month (prednesone). So this works well at preventing heartburn and reflux. Useful.

Wellbutrin: Keeps my mood stable. Theoretically.

Allegra: Keeps me sane. Okay technically it keeps my allergies at bay. Same thing.

Lamictal: ???

White vitamin pill: It's vitamins, duh

Cyclobenzaprine: Muscle relaxer. It also did away with my insomnia. So that's nice.

Horse tranquilizers... er, I mean, Tramadol: Very heavy painkiller. Really strong stuff. Four Advil at once doesnt do a bloody thing? ONE of these sure will. This is one of those meds you're supposed to be very careful with. Technically a narcotic, it can produce full addiction. I take it as rarely as possible. It's only for days when the pain is really nasty. Fortunately, I've been using it less and less over time, as my physical therapy progresses. Havent had to take any in a couple of weeks.

The absolute max dose of those last two is taking two of each at once. That's for when the pain is so bad that you're feeling desperate. I've only done that a couple of times. The last time I did it, I nearly fell asleep standing up. While in a bathroom, which would have meant a bad fall. Scared the heck outta me (but boy did I ever get a good night's sleep afterwards). Since then, I just refuse to do that.

Those last two, I was put on them after a car accident. I'll never forget it either: I really, REALLY dont like taking new pills, after the Prednesone incident. I tend to be very reluctant and will usually try to avoid having to do it. But that time, this big scary nurse lady came in and literally got me into the corner of the room, and then she just stood there until I took the things. Could tell she'd dealt with reluctant patients before.

Thank you for answering!

I've taken Wellbutrin, Cyclobenzaprine, and Lamictal, too! I would guess you're either being treated for seizures or for Bipolar.

Thank you for answering!

And this is the least I've been taking in a while! It can get crazy when you're fascinated with something ingestible. I like how intermittently you take those supplements. I could never live like that!

I used to smoke! It was never addictive for me, although I enjoyed it. If the smell didn't get on you, I might have continued.

Oh I often cover my hair - hat, beanie, cap, if indoors, and outdoors it don't matter so much, usually carry breath mints, so that's my system. Been hooked for 40 years.

Nothing. Nada. I'm very lucky. I do eat bio yoghurt daily, if that counts. And aim for 5 fruits n veg.

Thank you for answering!

I've taken Wellbutrin, Cyclobenzaprine, and Lamictal, too! I would guess you're either being treated for seizures or for Bipolar.

Nah, neither of those.

Frankly I dont really know what it's for. I'm sure it was explained, and chances are I wasnt paying attention.

Vit d 2000iu a day, I've Been testing this one for a while and it really does help my depression.
Testing zinc, iron and magnesium at the moment for fatigue, too early to say if any work.
Vit b I tried but it had no effect.
Ibuprofen a lot for headaches and neck pain.
Off the prednisone, it really didn't agree with me and getting off it was unpleasant.
Also on blood pressure meds.
Really the supplement I need is excerise but the fatigue has been winning more and more.

Natural Glandular Bovine Thyroid 40 mg a day in lieu of Synthroid.
Ritalin 10 mg X three times a day.
Clonazapam 1 mg X three times a day.
Vape Marijuana for pain as needed.

I get my vitamins from my diet and since my blood work shows no deficiency of any of them and my cholesterol (good and bad combined) is never over 150 I see no need for supplements.

Not much, as these things go; omeprazole and, up until quite recently, gabapentin. This actually sparks a question for others on the latter: is it for seizures?

Thank you for answering!

I've tried all of those supplements except for that specific multi-vitamin. I've never seen one quite like that! Everything is in a different form than I'm used to! And I hope your medications are working, otherwise it seems you'd be in quite a bit of pain. Are you taking Escitalopram for anxiety, depression, or both? Are you taking Chlorthalidone for high blood pressure or fluid retention? Are you taking Doxepin orally or topically?

I am taking Escitalopram for both anxiety and depression, and take Doxepin and melatonin to help me sleep. The multivitamin and TMG are taken because I have homozygous C677T, MTR and MTRR gene mutations and can not metabolize normal forms of B9 and B12 efficiently. Chlorthalidone and Allopurinol are taken because I have hyperuricosiuric autism (autism associated with high levels of uric acid production (hyperuricosiuria) and high excretion of calcium oxalate(hyperoxaluria)). I do not have high blood pressure, but my Iiver and kidneys do not filter out toxins appropriately due to some metabolic disorder associated with ASD.

My medications are in the form I need for my particular set of health conditions. I do not experience any pain, and also follow a strict Paleo diet without any red meat, low carbohydrates, no sugar, and low sodium. I lost 80 pounds and reversed type 2 Diabetes without taking any diabetic medications. Doctors were clueless in treating my diabetes, as it was caused by metabolic conditions they were not familiar with.

Last edited:
None. I've tried numerous medications in the early years with anxiety but didn't stick with any of them longer than a few months due to side effects and the internal mental struggle around guilt, doubt and fear around medicating myself.

I've tried supplements in the past too, but again - the internal doubts won. Besides, the vitamins and nutrients are easily sourced from a healthy diet. Still, a healthy and varied diet isn't always easy on the wallet.

Ed

CBD - I started taking this for anxiety, but I found its real benefit is that it cuts my sensory sensitivities way down, which makes everything else (including anxiety) much more manageable.

Magnesium - this helps my mood stay on an even keel. It's not a cure all by any means, but it keeps ups and downs to a level where I can more easily manage them with other coping methods.

Calcium - I've read that it's good to take this with magnesium. Also my gynocologist is always on me about calcium intake.

Vitamin D - it's part of the calcium pill and aids in the absorption of same.

Kariva - birth control pill. I don't have hormonal mood swings as a result, which is the main reason why I'm taking them, since I'm not sexually active.

Supplements: Zinc twice a week, magnesium and calcium combined every few days, fish oil and a multivitamin made by webber.

Regularly drink tea made from ginger, tumeric, mint, as well as green tea.

New Threads

Top Bottom