• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What supplements or medications do you take?

I don't take any prescription medications but I do have supplements:

Calcium/magnesium/zinc/Vit D
multi, mostly for Bs
sometimes Lysine for infections
progesterone for menopause-ish stuff but helps a lot with anxiety, leveling off
tums for stomach

I aim for a healthy diet but I have many dietary restrictions, so I have to have supplements in addition to the food

My body tends to operate better when having:
greek yogurt, fruit, honey each day
coffee and/or tea
tons of water
and of course beer/wine settles my stomach and helps with anxiety

Well, mine are:

Funky capsule thing: I cant remember the name, so sue me. It's to control stomach acid. I developed acid problems after being on the Nightmare Pill for a month (prednesone). So this works well at preventing heartburn and reflux. Useful.

Wellbutrin: Keeps my mood stable. Theoretically.

Allegra: Keeps me sane. Okay technically it keeps my allergies at bay. Same thing.

Lamictal: ???

White vitamin pill: It's vitamins, duh

Cyclobenzaprine: Muscle relaxer. It also did away with my insomnia. So that's nice.

Horse tranquilizers... er, I mean, Tramadol: Very heavy painkiller. Really strong stuff. Four Advil at once doesnt do a bloody thing? ONE of these sure will. This is one of those meds you're supposed to be very careful with. Technically a narcotic, it can produce full addiction. I take it as rarely as possible. It's only for days when the pain is really nasty. Fortunately, I've been using it less and less over time, as my physical therapy progresses. Havent had to take any in a couple of weeks.

The absolute max dose of those last two is taking two of each at once. That's for when the pain is so bad that you're feeling desperate. I've only done that a couple of times. The last time I did it, I nearly fell asleep standing up. While in a bathroom, which would have meant a bad fall. Scared the heck outta me (but boy did I ever get a good night's sleep afterwards). Since then, I just refuse to do that.

Those last two, I was put on them after a car accident. I'll never forget it either: I really, REALLY dont like taking new pills, after the Prednesone incident. I tend to be very reluctant and will usually try to avoid having to do it. But that time, this big scary nurse lady came in and literally got me into the corner of the room, and then she just stood there until I took the things. Could tell she'd dealt with reluctant patients before.

Omeprazole controls stomach acid. Good stuff.

I am taking Escitalopram for both anxiety and depression, and take Doxepin and melatonin to help me sleep. The multivitamin and TMG are taken because I have homozygous C677T, MTR and MTRR gene mutations and can not metabolize normal forms of B9 and B12 efficiently. Chlorthalidone and Allopurinol are taken because I have hyperuricosiuric autism (autism associated with high levels of uric acid production (hyperuricosiuria) and high excretion of calcium oxalate(hyperoxaluria)). I do not have high blood pressure, but my Iiver and kidneys do not filter out toxins appropriately due to some metabolic disorder associated with ASD.

My medications are in the form I need for my particular set of health conditions. I do not experience any pain, and also follow a strict Paleo diet without any red meat, low carbohydrates, no sugar, and low sodium. I lost 80 pounds and reversed type 2 Diabetes without taking any diabetic medications. Doctors were clueless in treating my diabetes, as it was caused by metabolic conditions they were not familiar with.

Thank you for answering!

Not much, as these things go; omeprazole and, up until quite recently, gabapentin. This actually sparks a question for others on the latter: is it for seizures?

What is omeprazole for? And Gabapentin is indeed for seizures. It treats my partial seizures. It's also prescribed off-label for anxiety, as it was in my case.

Just thinking about someone special makes me smile. Vitamin instant smile.

Last edited:
For those who take magnesium, what time of day do you take it? It'd make sense to take it at night to help relax but I wonder if it would be more useful to take it during the day, since being able to relax throughout the day may be more important than more relaxing at night.

What is omeprazole for? And Gabapentin is indeed for seizures. It treats my partial seizures. It's also prescribed off-label for anxiety, as it was in my case.
I should clarify; I meant "do you take it for seizures?". Another one of its gray-label uses is for nerve pain; that's why I was on it. And Omeprazole's a proton pump inhibitor; it reduces the production of stomach acid. GERD is not fun.

For those who take magnesium, what time of day do you take it? It'd make sense to take it at night to help relax but I wonder if it would be more useful to take it during the day, since being able to relax throughout the day may be more important than more relaxing at night.
I have heard night is good to relax.

Tamoxifen (hormone treatment - prescribed by doctor)
Olive leaf (dried or fresh, juiced. Great anti-cancer properties)
Magnesium (at night)
Milkthistle
Turmeric with pepper
melotonin
chamomile tea.

I should clarify; I meant "do you take it for seizures?". Another one of its gray-label uses is for nerve pain; that's why I was on it. And Omeprazole's a proton pump inhibitor; it reduces the production of stomach acid. GERD is not fun.

I take also take gabapentin, but not for seizures. Like you, I take it for nerve pain. I am diabetic and as a result have neuropathy in my feet. The pain is worst at night and without gabapentin I would not sleep at all.

I also have GERD and you are right about that. Sometimes I have a reflux issue at night. Getting stomach acid in your throat and lungs is the worst. If I do not eat anything after dinner and take my omeprazole faithfully, I am usually OK.

Getting old is not for sissies.

A chewable multivitamin. Melatonin and sometimes diphenhydramine for sleep. Naproxen sodium occasionally. Antacid occasionally.

@Rabscuttle

In the veterinary field gabapentin was originally used for seizures and / or neuropathic pain treatment. Now it is frequently used as an off licence anxiolitic in dogs and cats. In my experience it works really well to help cats be more calm during vet exams. (sorry, my knowledge is mostly animal based).

Calcium (Caltrate with vitamin D and other minerals).
Esomeprazole (Nexium) every second day.

Haloperidol (Serenace)
Benztropine
Dexamphetamine
Moclobemide (Aurorix)
Lithium

Been on this combination for 7 years. Would like to change haloperidol to something else but everything I've tried so far makes me feel ill or has a bad effect on my heart.

I take also take gabapentin, but not for seizures. Like you, I take it for nerve pain. I am diabetic and as a result have neuropathy in my feet. The pain is worst at night and without gabapentin I would not sleep at all.

I also have GERD and you are right about that. Sometimes I have a reflux issue at night. Getting stomach acid in your throat and lungs is the worst. If I do not eat anything after dinner and take my omeprazole faithfully, I am usually OK.

Getting old is not for sissies.
You've got to keep your head raised for the reflux try raising your bed its easier to remember raising it is like a big reminder

Calcium (Caltrate with vitamin D and other minerals).
Esomeprazole (Nexium) every second day.

Haloperidol (Serenace)
Benztropine
Dexamphetamine
Moclobemide (Aurorix)
Lithium

Been on this combination for 7 years. Would like to change haloperidol to something else but everything I've tried so far makes me feel ill or has a bad effect on my heart.
Try vit b complex for the anxiety group of ailments, it would help you with coming off haloperidol, also vit d ,hops is good ,vit d for anxiety best is going into full light ,walking is the least damaging exercise,vit E for your heart ,also cherry juice for your heart,use a lot of lavender its the least reactive to sensitives like autistic neurology ,allergy sufferers,make sure to get lavender(Latin name lavandula,not!!!!!!!lavandin )they are a group from different countries.

I've got quite a list, I'm currently undergoing chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma and taking several preventative medications due to my weakened immune system, in addition to everything else.

Chemo: ABVD (adriomycin, bleomycin, vinblastine, dacarbazine)

Preventatives: Acyclovir 400mg twice daily
Fluconazole 100mg
Allopurinol 200mg
Levofloxacin 500mg

As needed: Tylenol plus hydrocodone (325mg Tylenol, 5mg hydrocodone)
Compazine 10mg

Supplements: Vitamin C 500mg twice daily
Melatonin 10mg
Iron 65mg twice daily
Vitamin B12 1000mg
Potassium 20mg twice daily
Multivitamin

Other: Venlafaxine (Effexor) 75mg
Fluoxetine (Zoloft?) 60mg
Montelucast (Singulair) 10mg
Loratadine (Claratin) 10mg
Buspirone 10mg twice daily
Doxepin 50mg

I've got quite a list, I'm currently undergoing chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma and taking several preventative medications due to my weakened immune system, in addition to everything else.

Fluconazole 100mg
Allopurinol 200mg
Levofloxacin 500mg

Compazine 10mg

Melatonin 10mg
Iron 65mg twice daily
Vitamin B12 1000mg
Multivitamin

Doxepin 50mg
Fluoxetine (prozac™)
Sertraline(Zoloft™ in some European countries and the US,Canada,s.America ,Australia)

Fluconazole 100mg
Allopurinol 200mg
Levofloxacin 500mg

Compazine 10mg

Melatonin 10mg
Iron 65mg twice daily
Vitamin B12 1000mg
Multivitamin

Doxepin 50mg
Ask your oncologist if you could go up to 2000 mg vit c its a natural painkiller you do that for 2 weeks!!!!! come down to 1500 mg for another 3 weeks then see what effect it has .

New Threads

Top Bottom