• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What meds work for depression? Anxiety?

Catlover614

Love Conquers
I had to call a 24 hour crisis hotline last Friday because I woke up with thought of jumping off of an overpass. I am feeling like I was dealt an unfair hand in life and every single day, it's a struggle to be positive. It's like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. I don't even know why I exist at all. I walk with courtesy and kindness to all people, even ones I disagree with. I'm not happy, but it's nobody's fault except mine. There's nothing I can do to change my past. All I can do is strive to better myself, get well, and move forward, but HOW when I am so downtrodden? I don't know how to change from negative to positive in my own strength. I need help. I have to wait until the 19th to talk with psychiatrist and hopefully get prescribed medication. That's a long time when I don't even want to get out of bed.

I've lived with chronic clinical depression since I was a teenager. It ebbs and flows, but never ends.

Not an easy thing to exist with. I get that.

Taking meds alleviated some of my physical symptoms, but not the depression itself. But then the science is that more advanced considering this was long ago for me having been off meds altogether for decades.

Sometimes I truly wonder how I've made it this far. :confused:

Last edited:
I've lived with chronic clinical depression since I was a teenager. It ebbs and flows, but never ends.

Not an easy thing to exist with. I get that.

Taking meds alleviated some of my physical symptoms, but not the depression itself. But then the science is that more advanced considering this was long ago for me having been off meds altogether for decades.

Sometimes I truly wonder how I've made it this far. :confused:
I don't know how I made it this far either,my friend.

I survive each day knowing that I have my pets that depend on me. They NEED me and I need to be needed. I read these positive signs that say things like, "life is beautiful "; "the good life"; "life is what you make it"; "the good ol' days".......
Why don't I want to involve myself with life? It's all of the cruelty and meanness of people and society's pressure to be successful and win, win, win. I'm merely surviving...not thriving. Do I have a chemical in balance? Am I crazy? Can one go through an entire lifetime without experiencing the "good life" and still be happy? What's wrong with me? I am sitting on the sidelines of life and I like it.

I suffer from depression and anxiety and a couple of months ago I did walk to a railway bridge and was seriously contemplating throwing myself off. It is definitely linked to hormones for me and I have a seratonin imbalance too. I am now on escitalopram and it is really helping, I am still a 'loner' with executive function issues and still in my own world BUT I don't want to throw myself off any bridges anymore and feel a lot more stable.

Well for those two things they're probably going to look towards the SSRI antidepressants. Namely, fluoxetine, better known as Prozac, and sertraline. They work very well. Fluoxetine in particular is good, it comes with the bonus of a half life that lasts for about a week, one of the longest half lives of psychotropic drugs, this makes it easy to get off it as well if need be. Nearly everyone gets some sort of side effect with them, most likely will be some sexual side effects, and you might find your emotions to be quite unstable - EDIT: when starting them.

Last edited:
Different ones work for different people - some people find they don't help, and the side effects are worse than the depression. Be careful.

I never did find an Rx that helped with the depression, but this was before I knew about AS, and I was young, so didn't know how to give good feedback or ask for new things to try. But I still decided I didn't want to try the meds at all when later rounds of depression hit.

Most of the depression cycles have ended on their own after a few months, but this one has been going for nearly 3 years. I recently started acupuncture out of desperation, and it's greatly surprised me at how well that has helped. It doesn't make all the sad feelings go away, but the dark moods don't go as deep and don't last as long each time it hits. I have more energy to do the things I need to do and to concentrate on my work.

It hasn't helped with the anxiety, though, despite several weeks of trying to target that issue. I still don't know what to do about that part.

Well for those two things they're probably going to look towards the SSRI antidepressants. Namely, fluoxetine, better known as Prozac, and sertraline. They work very well. Fluoxetine in particular is good, it comes with the bonus of a half life that lasts for about a week, one of the longest half lives of psychotropic drugs, this makes it easy to get off it as well if need be. Nearly everyone gets some sort of side effect with them, most likely will be some sexual side effects, and you might find your emotions to be quite unstable.
Sexual side affects?? Like what exactly?

Hmm, I think I'd rather live with depression than risk all of those side effects. Already have a low libido anyway so Prozac would probably kill sex drive completely. My boyfriend wouldn't appreciate that. I don't want him to suffer because of my issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom