• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your Medication

People are confusing medications with "what I use to relax," as Vitamin D, red wine, and video-games would likely not be effective treatments for hallucinations, PTSD flashbacks, panic attacks, clinical depression, mania, etc.

As far as prescription drugs are concerned I don't take anything. I used to takes anti depression scripts but they didn't do a thing for me, mostly because I was misdiagnosed to begin with. Being down in the dumps can be caused by a chemical imbalance or just having a difficult life.

Last edited:
People are confusing medications with "what I use to relax," as Vitamin D, red wine, and video-games would likely not be effective treatments for hallucinations, PTSD flashbacks, panic attacks, clinical depression, mania, etc.

I beg to differ. Red wine is great for generalized anxiety.

I beg to differ. Red wine is great for generalized anxiety.

So would you be at least mildly intoxicated most of the time? Every social function, event, maybe just every time you go outside or socialize in any way? And doesn't tolerance become an issue?

Or do you mean it's good for anxiety? If that's the case, I completely agree.

"GAD is diagnosed when a person finds it difficult to control worry on more days than not for at least six months and has three or more symptoms"

Is it healthy to drink enough to cause a physiological reaction on more days than not indefinitely?

"Sometimes just the thought of getting through the day produces anxiety. People with GAD don’t know how to stop the worry cycle and feel it is beyond their control, even though they usually realize that their anxiety is more intense than the situation warrants."

At a minimum, you'd drink at every meal.

Winston Churchill did.

He drank so much they put his bust in the white House.
Now, I'm confused.
Not to downplay his drinking prowess, nor staying power, or anything like that; I thought that they put his bust in the White House because of his psychopathy--- the perfect trait in a capitalist society.

Did he drink enough that it was a sign of psychopathy? Because then lines would crossing and this confusion would make sense.

I had completely forgotten and thought, "Where??"

Then scrolled up.

"Oh, right. Me neither."

So would you be at least mildly intoxicated most of the time? Every social function, event, maybe just every time you go outside or socialize in any way? And doesn't tolerance become an issue?

Or do you mean it's good for anxiety? If that's the case, I completely agree.

"GAD is diagnosed when a person finds it difficult to control worry on more days than not for at least six months and has three or more symptoms"

Is it healthy to drink enough to cause a physiological reaction on more days than not indefinitely?

"Sometimes just the thought of getting through the day produces anxiety. People with GAD don’t know how to stop the worry cycle and feel it is beyond their control, even though they usually realize that their anxiety is more intense than the situation warrants."

At a minimum, you'd drink at every meal.

Just because something relaxes you doesn't mean that it must be taken all the time. You could choose to forgo the drink anytime you wanted and just feel the anxiety (unlike many prescription drugs where this sort of behavior would cause withdrawal symptoms - unless you are physiologically addicted to alcohol).

Also, define mildly intoxicated. Is that what people feel after one drink ... two ...? Tolerance would become an issue if a person were getting drunk often ... I believe. Wouldn't any drinking cause some sort of physiological reaction?

GAD is a form of anxiety. Most people deal with anxiety, but when it becomes persistent and pervasive, then it is called generalized.

According to my research it is not healthy for the liver to drink more than one glass of wine every day (if you're a woman). I would like to say, however, that most people engage in some sort of unhealthy habit(s). It always puzzles me when individuals who are clearly unhealthy in their lifestyle balk at drinking wine every day. Also, most prescription drugs are unhealthy and even dangerous when taken long term.

Why would drinking at every meal be the minimum?

Of course, if you're okay with just feeling the anxiety then any treatment you decide is going to be just fine! Medication, in my opinion, is only for when life is intolerable otherwise.

Drinking at every meal would be minimum because the anxiety I have in mind is intolerable, and an entire day or most of a day of "just feeling it" day after day would drive you mad.

But it's clear we're talking about different things, which is perfectly fine, and I have no problem with a person drinking wine every day, unless you weren't referring to me and just throwing that out there.

I don't know if we are talking about different things. Rather I think the anxiety we are discussing could be viewed on a spectrum (like autism). And, therefore, the 'cut-off' for intolerability is up for discussion and debate.

I know the DSM is considered the authority, but I think that also is up for debate.

I take antidepressants (Pristiq) for depression and Olanzapine at night to help me sleep. They help a lot. I used to be on different antidepressants, but they made me feel worse, so they switched to the current one and my mood is better. The Pristiq dries out my mouth quite a bit so i get bad breath and the Olanzapine makes me eat more than I want to but they're alright apart from that. The Olanzapine also keeps me calmer too, so if I get taken off it, I'm usually more anxious.

I'm asking for some help from those of you that have had your diagnosis for a while.

Being recently diagnosed myself, treatment is just beginning for me. They are starting with some medications to ease some of the social anxiety related to my career which at times forces human interaction. For this they prescribed .5 mg of clonazepam twice per day. This has helped quite a bit.

My last visit to the doc was yesterday to which I left rather disappointed. He increased the clonazepam to three times per day and added 250 mg of Depakote once per day. I thoroughly read each and every word on the paperwork that comes with prescription medications and I must say, I find the fact that Depakote is FDA approved rather alarming. I will not be taking it. Potentially fatal liver and pancreas damage is not worth better toleration of daily issues.

What are some of you prescribed if anything to help you get through daily life?

A few years ago I spoke to my family doctor about my anxiety. I was going through a particularly hellish time (at work & marriage) but also suffering with symptoms I'd had for years. I said I was ready to try the medication route.
She prescribed one med after another and they had no effect on me. She referred me to a psychiatrist at the local hospital.
The hospital doctor tried me on so many different types of meds, each for a couple of weeks at a time, upping the doses and again nothing worked. She insisted my problem was depression and was trying to treat me for it. I tell you, it felt like everything she gave me was a placebo. I had no side effects, good or bad. I eventually gave up.
So I'm back to self-medicating with wine and medication.
I've tried CBD but felt no effect either. I think this is all related to my slow metabolism. Regular strength Advil doesn't work on me, I have to go with extra strength.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom