• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your Medication

Book Reader

How many take prescriptions drugs? What do you take and does it help? Is there much out there for Aspies?

I don't take anything currently. I have never done illegal drugs so I can't comment if they help.

Do they really help? Major side effects? Still seeking the perfect balance. Just curious. Share your thoughts and if they have helped you.

I take:

Lithium--almost entirely stops shutdowns/meltdowns
Wellbutrin--reduces depression
Adderall--reduces social anxiety, depression, increases motivation and focus
Buspirone--reduces anxiety, but not enough and I just went to the highest dose. He won't give me anything stronger because he's worried I'll abuse it...

Side-effects that have persisted that I've noticed are acne and anxiety, which is why Buspirone was added.

Before the medication, all of life was just a gradual drowning. :)

Aripiprazole for supposed for psychosis (not my words but multiple psychiatrists I've seen over the years).
Lamotrigine for depression
And I'm going to try topiramate for my Tourette's.

I used to take Seroquel but gained weight on it so got a bit scared of it.
I've also been on Prozac which I found didn't do much.
& on Oxazepam which didn't do anything at all for me.

Sometimes I take Methylphenidate as I've found it improves my executive functioning and social skills a little. Though in all honesty it hasn't been prescribed to me and I'm not really sure why or how it works.. I tried to find some research on it but couldn't find much.

(Side effects: It lowers my heart rate ever so slightly, which I think is because it's known to elevate blood pressure and I have always had low blood pressure. So not really a problematic side effect in my case but I suppose it could be.)

I'm currently using Finasteride, Spironolactone, and Estradiol for hormone therapy.
I have also previously used Melatonin (2018) for sleep issues, and a antidepressant (2012) I don't remember the name of.

Sometimes I take Methylphenidate as I've found it improves my executive functioning and social skills a little. Though in all honesty it hasn't been prescribed to me and I'm not really sure why or how it works.. I tried to find some research on it but couldn't find much.

Have you done research using one of the brand names, such as Ritalin? That might get more results.

My son takes adderal and says it helps.
I started on Lexapro a year or so ago and it helps with the depression and it seems to control my meltdowns. I do have to stay on the lowest possible dose or will end up with anxiety.
I've been on Welbutrin for a while, which just helps with depression. I didn't notice any side effects with the Lexapro, the Welbutrin has to be the XL - the quick acting makes me sick.
I tried something several years ago - don't remember now what it was. It helped me not care and made me dislike people even more. I liked the not caring part, but I was married at the time and went from disliking my husband to hating him, even though I no longer cared about his yelling at me and stuff.

UUUUUUUGH

Wellbutrin for... er... mood control?
Lamotrigine for ???
Allegra for allergies (I think that's what that stuff is called)
Horse tranquilizers for- er, I mean, Tramadol for pain when needed
Cyclobenzaprine also for pain, because apparently that first one isnt enough
Mystery pill for acid problems (I cant remember all these blasted names)
Caffeine for sanity

There was one time also when they tried to put me on Prednesone for pain. I call those "Hell Pills".

Do you know what "paradoxical insomnia" is? Yeah, neither did I. Now I do. I also learned that it's possible to be scared of donuts.

I was stuck on those horrid things for a month (because the damn things are the sort of pills you cant just immediately quit, so they had to lower it slowly, or such is the explanation I remember anyway). Since then, I'll usually refuse any new medication that I'm not already familiar with. The Tramadol & Cyclobenzaprine were given to me after the Prednisone thing though... This was right after a car crash (boy was that thing mangled). The nurse only got me to take it by pretty much just being huge and intimidating. Dunno what her name was but I am thankful to her for that one, as those are FINALLY the pain meds that actually freaking do something.

Just for comparison, before getting those, I'd take 4 Advil at once (or any other "normal" pain med) and they'd do literally nothing. Valium? Eh. Didnt do much either, but it didnt make me crazy at least.

One way or another though, I hate taking pills. Mostly because I have to take all these stupid things at the same time, so I pretty much have to inhale like a gallon of water just before lunch to take them. It gets old.

Well, except for the caffeine, of course, that's not pills, that'd just be silly.

I take something that calms down extreme anger. I call it a ball of red that rises up and with this medicine, that ball of red disappears and although I still get angry, it fizzles out quicker.

Was given a psychotic drug and that was like a miracle. I felt so laid back and it was funny to witness, but the side effects were too harsh and so, stopped taking.

I hate taking meds, but do realise that sometimes they are needed.

Currently:
Hopes and dreams, life, family, knowledge and adult neurogenisis.

Side effects :
Bat-sh1t crazy
Wound up like a coiled spring.
OCD
But these effects should settle down eventually with the formation of new habits and changed perception.

The last lot of anti anxiety meds I was prescribed and took,
had me clenching my jaw tight shut, my diaphragm/chest so tense my breathing was too shallow,
my left hand almost ridgid and curled into my body and diarrhoea so bad over a number of weeks it left me feeling really poorly.

I still fail to see how the above was helping me.

After that experience I figured I’d sort it all out myself.

Last edited:

You legend ! :D
I am crying with laughter.

The part of the advert where she can suddenly play the acoustic guitar and asks “do you know who I am?”
Whilst he’s getting down with his funky, bad self to the groovy tunes.

If that is growing old together, I’ll have me some of that there existential euphoria and relentless optimism:)

You legend ! :D
I am crying with laughter.

The part of the advert where she can suddenly play the acoustic guitar and asks “do you know who I am?”
Whilst he’s getting down with his funky, bad self to the groovy tunes.

If that is growing old together, I’ll have me some of that there existential euphoria and eternal optimism:)
Don't forget the
"...elevated sensitivity to musical dopeness..." :p:p:p

As was pointed out to me, this is an actual company.

brtside.com

How many take prescriptions drugs? What do you take and does it help? Is there much out there for Aspies?

I don't take anything currently. Healthcare is bad or nonexistent. No coverage under HSA and I am sure many have stopped their meds unless paying full freight to see a doctor is in your means. I have never done illegal drugs so I can't comment if they help.

Do they really help? Major side effects? Still seeking the perfect balance. Just curious. Share your thoughts and if they have helped you.
I sometimes take methylphenidate for ADD, but only when I feel it is going to be needed; haven't used it for at least a year. I take St John's Wort for depression, from Halloween until January.

At the moment I take vitamine D shots and I am going to get tested at B12 just in case. My brother has it (also autistic) and my mom but diffrent case. Happends to be quite commen that people with autism have B12 shortage.

I used to take risperidone. It really helped filtering information and reducing stress with the right dossis. Right now I am off it, because I don't have alot of stress right now. Only bad sides about risperidone is that it makes you very sleepy and really hungry when you aren't on the right dossis. What risperidone did to me is preventing my panic attacks as well.

I am not really into meds if I don't need them, therefore I stopped taking my meds after going to my doctor again.

New Threads

Top Bottom