• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your favorite type of music?

dyl

I’m a huge rap and rock fan. I love 2000s rap music and I love My Chemical Romance and all those emo bands. I would list all the rock bands I like but that would make it the longest post on this website. Haha.

—Dyl

When I was young, it was punk, indie, and 60s rock, mostly. Sex Pistols, Pere Ubu, Television, The Clash, Nirvana, REM, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., The Smiths, etc.. Also, The Kinks, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, and so on. I loved the oldies station as a really little kid, but got into that other music around age 12-13. Also, some 80s/90s hip hop. And some country and blues (Robert Johnson).

Now, it's mostly jazz (especially from about 1958-68, though every phase through the 70s interests me), classical (Penderecki, Britten, Reich, and Glass are probably my favorites), and some pop (The Beach Boys, The High Llamas, and Stereolab, mostly). And Frank Zappa and Van Dyke Parks.

I've listened to tons of rock/pop and absorbed it. It's too direct for me now--too simple. I listen in small doses, when I do. I do like Solange and Lana del Rey, though.

Just my own story.

Last edited:
When I was young, it was punk, indie, and 60s rock, mostly. Sex Pistols, Pere Ubu, Television, The Clash, Nirvana, REM, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., The Smiths, etc.. Also, The Kinks, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, and so on. I loved the oldies station as a really little kid, but got into that other music around age 12-13. Also, some 80s/90s hip hop. And some country and blues (Robert Johnson).

Now, it's mostly jazz (especially from about 1958-68, though every phase through the 70s interests me), classical (Penderecki, Britten, Reich, and Glass are probably my favorites), and some pop (The Beach Boys, The High Llamas, and Stereolab, mostly).

I've listened to tons of rock/pop and absorbed it. It's too direct for me now--too simple. I listen in small doses, when I do. I do like Solange and Lana del Rey, though.

Just my own story.
I've actually heard of Sex Pistols, Clash, REM, The Smiths, The Kinks, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Beach Boys. I used to listen to the Beatles a lot, but I mostly listen to 80s music even though I am Gen Z. I could go on all day of all the 80s bands and singers that I like and what songs are the best from each. I also really like Pearl Jam and Superheaven who was originally known as Daylight.

I've actually heard of Sex Pistols, Clash, REM, The Smiths, The Kinks, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Beach Boys. I used to listen to the Beatles a lot, but I mostly listen to 80s music even though I am Gen Z. I could go on all day of all the 80s bands and singers that I like and what songs are the best from each. I also really like Pearl Jam and Superheaven who was originally known as Daylight.

That's cool :)

80s...Madonna is fun, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears. I enjoy some 80s Genesis. And lots of indie stuff from that time, of course. What are your favorites?

I'm not much of a Pearl Jam fan, but the first album has a nice sound. I used to love Green River, the grunge band they came out of.

That's cool :)

80s...Madonna is fun, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears. I enjoy some 80s Genesis. And lots of indie stuff from that time, of course. What are your favorites?

I'm not much of a Pearl Jam fan, but the first album has a nice sound. I used to love Green River, the grunge band they came out of.
My favorite Genesis song is Land of Confusion, always sounded quite creepy when I was younger, same for Mr. Roboto by Styx. Duran Duran is my dad's favorite band, The Reflex and Hungry Like The Wolf are very very good, same goes for A View To A Kill. The only Pet Shop Boys song I've really ever liked was West End Girls. Tears for Fears, definitely going to say Everybody Wants To Rule The World is my favorite, Head Over Heels is a close second. I love The Police, Wrapped Around Your Finger and Spirits In The Material World are my favorites. Yeah, this is what happens when I get into my 80s mindset, Wang Chung is a good band too.

Yes! I LOVE "Wrapped Around Your Finger." And "Omega Man."

Zenyatta Mondatta is a killer album, too.

Yes! I LOVE "Wrapped Around Your Finger." And "Omega Man."

Zenyatta Mondatta is a killer album, too.
I've heard only two songs from Zenyatta Mondatta, Don't Stand So Close and De Do Do Do Da Da Da or whatever that song is called. LOL.

A wide variety.

Here is a list of some of my favorite artists.

Opeth
Tool
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Ben Folds
The Dresden Dolls
Pink Floyd
Metallica (before The Black Album)
Genesis with Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
Yes from the ‘70s
Kendrick Lamar
Dr Dre
The Notorious BIG
Aesop Rock
Ces Cru
Floater
Phish
Dave Matthews Band
The Disco Biscuits
Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir
Black Sabbath
Joe Hisaishi
Yoko Kanno

I could keep going if you want me to.

A wide variety.

Here is a list of some of my favorite artists.

Opeth
Tool
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Ben Folds
The Dresden Dolls
Pink Floyd
Metallica (before The Black Album)
Genesis with Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
Yes from the ‘70s
Kendrick Lamar
Dr Dre
The Notorious BIG
Aesop Rock
Ces Cru
Floater
Phish
Dave Matthews Band
The Disco Biscuits
Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir
Black Sabbath
Joe Hisaishi
Yoko Kanno

I could keep going if you want me to.
Back In Black by AC/DC and Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel are good songs. Guns N Roses with Sweet Child O’ Mine is good too.

I never like the word "favorite". I'm a relative existentialist, so my tastes are dependent upon many factors. So, right now I'm listening to some blues. I like soft jazz, '80s both pop and "new wave", strange avant garde stuff like Laurie Anderson, classical, 50s-60s hits, etc. Depends on my mood. I don't like anything too loud, but I don't mind if the lyrics make no sense. Oh and I also enjoy instrumental stuff, like celtic fiddles, and harp music.

I have extremely diverse taste in music, and some of it is pretty weird by most people’s standards lol

In no particular order, the genres I probably listen to the most are EDM, dubstep, folk/ethnic music, metal, rap, early 2000s pop, Spanish dance music, and… whatever genre Eurovision is.

The Music in The Escapists 2, So Video Game music. I don't like singing.

definitely most types of rock and punk; a very very small amount of country; and basically anything that was on the radio from 2010 - 2015. also a fan of music from games i play and some indie stuff

Diverse also.
If I had to say favorite, it would be either wordless meditative music with natural sounds mixed with synth and native american music or classic rock.
Depends on my mood. Meditative when I want to relax and just chill.
I listen to 70's and 80's rock when I drive.
Keeps me concentrating.
Styx
Aerosmith
Def Leppard
Foreigner
Bon Jovi
Blue Oyster Cult
AC/DC
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Journey

Those type of sounds to name a few.

I think the common trend between all my absolute favorite pieces is an intense and identifiable feeling of some sort combined with unusual but thought-out composing. I like when things break a trend and have an unpredictable sound to them. I also quite like some crunch in my music, some quality that makes it just a little hard to listen to. Be it stilted rhythm, discordant sounds, complicated rhythms or otherwise just a very busy arrangement. I feel like I get more to squeeze out of a single piece until my brain grasps it sufficiently that way. However, the key remains an emotional core of some sort, if I'm not getting that from it in any shape, I will probably discard it as either bland or annoying.

Anyway to give an example; expertly combining all the aforementioned elements is this odd pop song:

My mind is accepting towards many genres and artists. Personally, with regards to my "favorite songs", it's more about the beat, the arrangement, and if it is "up tempo". I can't dance, but I do appreciate being able to physically get into a beat, a groove, etc. If you can play it at a party, get people to dance, make it a happy occasion, can be sung along with, catchy lyrics, etc. I'm probably going to like it.

New Threads

Top Bottom