• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is this called?

Yes
I'm having something similar to this experience in this very thread relating to those who posted after you. I didn't freeze, per se, but I read Lily Muffet's post and I got excited and thought "Yes, me too, I have always had this chasm or disconnect between my mind and my mouth--but a connect between my mind and my hands--typing or writing. I have tried to analyze the difference, as it is clearly a different process to write out thoughts than to speak them. And I think, "Oh, I have to post..." Then I read further in her post and think "oh, people are always interrupting me and talking on top of me," so I also usually just sit and listen. Every now and then I will run into a "special" person who actually wants to listen to me, and then it's hard for me to shut up, unfortunately.

So then I read further still and I think "Oh my God TOOOOO MUCH." Decades I have been trying to explain that it takes so much energy and effort for me to say something or talk, that I actually choose not to, even when I think of something to say. I literally don't have the energy to make myself heard. I will only force myself to say something if I think it is important and worth the effort for me to say it. And I have never heard anyone else say this before aside from me!

So in the end I get so overwhelmed with things people are writing that mirror me, that I just leave, because it's too much in too short a time.

This is what is so messed up about it all--we are supposedly the ones who fall short, yet we have been forced to adapt, analyze and understand both ourselves and them in order to present ourselves to them in a way they will accept and understand. I have been doing things like this all my life, especially with my family members and they have no clue at all.

By the way, I love the sloth baby--so cute :). When I was young, in gymnastics, the others called me "sloth" because I used to hang upside-down on the balance beam.

And I just keep on saying to myself me too, me too! as I read this thread. Joining this forum is like a eureka moment for me, as I'm struggling to understand myself more, other members who have shared their detailed narratives have made it simpler for me.

Together that makes us something like soul sisters, or soul aspies.

Last edited:
Ye

And I just keep on saying to myself me too, me too! as I read this thread. Joining this forum is like a eureka moment for me, as I'm struggling to understand myself more, other members who have shared their detailed narratives have made it simpler for me.

Together that makes us something like soul sisters, or soul aspies.

Or soul family :). I've never had a family before and all my life I've been wondering where they were and what it felt like to have one. Biology does not make family.

There can be two things going on (I'm not an expert here though)

There can be an issue of language production, which is an auditory disorder. Typically it shows itself in fluency issues (think of the way Shatner talks)

The other option is a transference problem. People with autism typically have an elaborate internal mental life. It's a primary coping mechanism. But that means that every time you access that mental model to use it you should first translate it into a common model accessible to everyone. That would take a large amount of time if you have to do that every time you talk to someone, assuming it's possible.

So my guess is that time pressure to produce something comprehensive, combined with the problem of translating your internal way of thinking, is very difficult (as it should be). Sorry, not sure if I'm explaining that clearly.

New Threads

Top Bottom