• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is this called?

DesertRose

I have a hard time, sometimes, not always, getting my questions into words that others can understand what I am asking. Or explaining things so others don't get the wrong idea.
Does anyone else struggle with this? Is it common in ASD?
I can understand exactly what something means, I just cannot get it across to others, or explain it.

I'm the same way, I've always struggled trying to explain things to others, even if it's something seemingly simple to me

Same here as well. I know what I want to say in my mind, can even picture every detail of a specific topic, but when I try to form in into words it comes out wrong to where I feel stuck in what I want to explain. I have to take some pauses in a conversation to rethink what I wanted to say or explain about.

Definitely. Sometimes I don't know when to start when explaining a challenging problem or situation, because there is a lot of background info and I can't immediately suss out what is and isn't relevant.

I have a hard time, sometimes, not always, getting my questions into words that others can understand what I am asking. Or explaining things so others don't get the wrong idea.
I can understand exactly what something means, I just cannot get it across to others, or explain it.
It's part of a developmental disorder not being able to communicate socially

So it's basically typical ASD?
I don't know for certain that you can pigeonhole any person into typical ,some autists learn to communicate.
You may !not have heard this word in this context but the human brain is plastic !which means it can be shaped, Neurones can be diverted to another area.
It's a mixture of the education you've had !which can include experience ,orthodox education ,probably nutrition lack of B vitamins ,protein could also influence this ????
Over nutrition or undernutrition .

You basically described a tell-tale symptom of autism. What you are experiecing is one of the many ways our social ineptness is manifested.

https://introvertdear.com/news/the-science-behind-why-introverts-struggle-to-speak/

I am an introvert and having social awkwardness as most Aspies do I found the above link
has explanations for the many different workings of the brain as to why we have the trait of
putting our many thoughts smoothly into words.
What takes a split second in my mind, takes pauses and work to explain verbally.
One of the reasons it states is because we are deep thinkers.
And we are much more adept at long term memory than working short term memory
which is needed for chit chat and explaining.

I'm told on forums that I am very well spoken. But it takes me a while to formulate what I am going to write in a way that's understandable to others.

Yes, I relay on scripts and set phrases for things - I find it hard to put abstract thoughts into words.
I'm told on forums that I am very well spoken. But it takes me a while to formulate what I am going to write in a way that's understandable to others.
Same here. It takes me a long time to write replies and responses to posts on the forum. I need time to think about it and often don't respond straight away, to think carefully to plan and then compose them. I often write, and then rewrite my responses, rephrase, edit, add bits, or cut bits out because they are off topic or irrelevant.

Yes, I relay on scripts and set phrases for things - I find it hard to put abstract thoughts into words.

Same here. It takes me a long time to write replies and responses to posts on the forum. I need time to think about it and often don't respond straight away, to think carefully to plan and then compose them. I often write, and then rewrite my responses, rephrase, edit, add bits, or cut bits out because they are off topic or irrelevant.

Yes same for me. No one who isn't watching me type with one finger slowly and often pausing for several seconds to minutes, has no idea I'm sure.

Yes same for me. No one who isn't watching me type with one finger slowly and often pausing for several seconds to minutes, has no idea I'm sure.

I find myself popping up with a comment, then realize afterwards that it had nothing to do with what was asked, or said, and deleting it. Or deleting it for fear someone would take it in entirely the wrong way.

I don't know for certain that you can pigeonhole any person into typical ,some autists learn to communicate.
You may !not have heard this word in this context but the human brain is plastic !which means it can be shaped, Neurones can be diverted to another area.
It's a mixture of the education you've had !which can include experience ,orthodox education ,probably nutrition lack of B vitamins ,protein could also influence this ????
Over nutrition or undernutrition .

I'm not trying to pigeonhole anyone, or offend in any way, just trying to gain more understanding of autism, ASD, Asperger's, etc. to try and figure this thing out.
I fully agree, education, age, nutrition, environmental toxins, diseases and conditions, as well as training can all affect how the brain responds to stimuli. Good point.

Most people are not deep thinkers, and if you're trying to get something complex or subtle across then a message that another deep thinker might have no problem with might simply be too much for most people, whether due to lack of natural ability, lack of skills, or lack of a willingness to try to understand, interest or open-mindedness.

I wonder what you're trying to communicate, and to whom. Many people tell me that I communicate very well (usually when we're communicating through writing/typing etc.) but many people say that they don't understand me, too.

I have often observed groups of people, many of whom have difficulty understanding me when I try to talk of something complex or subtle, who seem to have no problem communicating with each other in spite of them contradicting themselves and using trite popular phrases nearly devoid of meaning.

Whereas most people seem to ask little of their ability to communicate factual information (as opposed to social or emotional information) it seems that many on this site ask a great deal of their ability to do this. Even if we are much better at this than most people, it stands to reason that we might still encounter more difficulties than most people.

People with 4x4s of unusual ability will tend to get stuck more often than someone who drives a low-performance sedan to the store and back and asks no more of it than that.

Keep in mind also that communication is a two-way street, a cooperative venture. They are also failing to communicate with you. It is likely that you are putting in an effort to bridge the gap, whereas they may not even be aware of the gap and are putting in no effort at all. They are used to communicating with their own kind, you are having to communicate, and learn to communicate, with them.

Maybe you're truly bad at communication, I don't know the details. But there are plenty of reasons for communication to fail other than your lack of ability. When communication fails it can be very difficult to know why for sure, sometimes both parties are unaware that they've even misunderstood each other. At least you're not there.

I have this pretty much everytime i talk. It takes extra time for me to put the words together in my mind before i respond,
people usually give up waiting and move on. Translating the pictures in my mind into words is difficult. Sometimes people wonder if i'm even able to talk.

New Threads

Top Bottom