• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is love???

My past relationships have... Sucked. But I've finally made it right this time.

Love for me, is well...

When I wake him up in the middle of the night just to say I'm lonely. When he stays up until seven am with me because I forgot to take my Seroquel and can't sleep. When I go into a fit and yell and say hurtful, cold things to him and twenty minutes later he's teaching me to apologize. When my mind says I'm falling out of love but my heart races when he steps out of the shower. When he smells like pure garbage but I can't stop holding him. When he has stayed through all my flaws and mistakes, and loves me just as much as the day before.

That... That's love to me.
That is called "unconditional". My love is always unconditional.

the ????s asked to define love?.......
I am bisexual. I dream of marrying a nice gentleman, and I dream of lesbians! I think I love my best lady friend (lesbian way? or misplaced friend love?)........ I don't need to have sex with her to prove that love.

(Maybe I confuse joy with love?)

Love shows when my face lights up, so happy, it shows with kind actions. Good works, donate to charity, ALTRUISM, that kind of stuff. mmmmmm.... morals, ethics,.......

You can have sex without loving someone, I'm sure lots of people do it. Similarly some people love without sex.
I'm not interested in sex. It's icky IMHO.
I am not ready to talk too much about lesbian sex, or sex in general. I'm a huge prude, apparently. I struggle with recent lust issues since I reach a "certain age" , wow, it's such a hassle. so embarrassing!!!! I admire Ghandi, I wished to conquer lust, control animal instincts. (Icky= I could understand an aspect of that. I don't want any diseases! ew! Like she said, some people find it fun. with the right person?) Happily bisexual and celibate for too much decade (s?)........

Now, I love this guy.......... HE might have autism! His face lights up with huge smiles when he sees me! He might be flawed? but I love him anyway? Admit, I can't see or fathom the flaws. and that is what love does? ????? (he is a manager of part of a store, so he has a job!)

I don't know if he can return the love???? either????? but he sure is happy to see me! Is happy/joy enough????? I had a childhood with "less love", so, I understand how to live that kind of life. How much does love matter? I think he shares my interest! I think he loves community, charity, doing the "right" thing........ ethics, morals, environment, sustainability, this is all very good stuff. What's not to love? right?
Hi Yucca,

Agape love
brilliant! It was long, but very insightful! I love it! Now I understand Eros vs. Agape . That's awesome!

I am not sure I am in a position to offer advice. I think y'all might need to help me too .......... aw........ Is he happy when he is with you? Are you happy with him? Is happy enough? (does joy equal love? or must there be sacrifice as well?) or Is he waiting for something better? cuz that last part, is not cool. love yourself, you deserve love!

Learn to love yourself because you are unique and special and you deserve your own love!

Or will my brain explode one day???
I feel the same way about the lust issues !!!!!!!!!!! argh! so embarrassing!

Last edited:
"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Robert A.Heinlein

How much does love matter? I think he shares my interest! I think he loves community, charity, doing the "right" thing........ ethics, morals, environment, sustainability, this is all very good stuff. What's not to love? right?

In the long run, I believe romantic love doesn't matter that much. Romantic love and feelings of lust fade away quickly. It's more important that you enjoy spending time together and that you have common values ... and at least a few common interests to begin with. Common values are probably the more important thing for a lifelong relationship because interests can change over time. If you're not looking for a life partner though, romantic love is like a carnival ride. It's fun while it lasts.

Interesting thought from today's sermon:
'Without sacrifice there is no love'.
I can see that. If you don't bend at all, you're a rather selfish partner. And I highly doubt most people are lucky enough to get the very perfect partner they never have to bend for. At some point down the line you gotta take over their chores because they're sick or something!

For me LOVE is not a feeling... you're thinking of DOPAMINE.
Its not an emotion, its an action.

It consist of dedication, commitment, and support. Love doesn't pass judgement.
Love is aware of the flaws and mistakes and sees past the surface of someone's ways.

Love does not look for an exchange of something, nor is it conditional.
When the (DOPAMINE) excitement has ceased, the commitment should be there not to seek thrills. If I love you, I'm there because I care about your well being. To hell with butterflies that's a mere pre-response to anxiety.

New Threads

Top Bottom