• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is love

Have you ever been in love?

• Yes

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
Ok so no one's mentioned Attachment processes yet, so Im gonna. I ve talked about this on other threads, so here I ll just say, ability to make secure attachments is something we learn as we grow up, and in adulthood too, with a significant initial amount of that learning being at a very early stage like around first year of life.

Research tells us that some of us learn to make secure attachments at that early stage, whereas others become somewhat insecure, depending on how it is in our family of origin and how our parents or carers are with us. This applies to people with autism aswell as neurotypical people.

The attachment system is developmental, hurrah! Because that means, if we had a difficult childhood, we can still work on our insecurity in later life in relationships and in therapy, to become more secure.

This could be seen as the basic building bricks of our ability to feel secure and build loving relationships, with romantic love as a subsequent add on. I think deficits in this area can be what makes a romantic relationship hard to maintain, along with other issues. Probably the most important element in this equation is our ability to tolerate some relational distress and offer tolerance to others when they can't always do so.

Being secure means we can weather the difficulties and see past the immediate argument or disappointing behaviours to our own and the other persons true worth , and understand to an extent our mutual dilemmas. It's something many of us will sometimes wobble on even if we have mostly achieved it.

Relationships with at least one person in who is somewhat secure can often do ok. Two insecure people will struggle, and likely need outside support, but if it's available and useable by them, it can help and moving towards greater security in relating can happen for them.

As one might predict, my insecurity may likely lead me to select or be selected by, another person with an insecure attachment style. (Or sometimes, a narcissist or other person who may be controlling or coercive). At least a third of us start off insecure in our relating, so difficulties that can be worked on through achieving greater individual security in developmental therapy and relating, can lead us to happier relationships. That's certainly what happened for me, over the years.

I think (undiagnosed) autism was a factor too, which once understood, helped me progress, and the fact that I pursued a career in care work and care education, did plenty of personal therapy, and latterly, trained and worked as a relationship therapist, gave me a wealth of relevant experience and knowledge to understand, and crucially to function more securely, in relating.

But it was a long way round, which more information and understanding of the issues would have shortened. Still, I got there eventually...

I've known Eros two times, (I think), but, not strongly like others have.
Never enough to want a marriage or live together.

I've dated a lot of guys, but, it was more like the Phileo type.
They were my best friends at the time.
And as with all, it just eventually faded and we drifted apart.

@ForestGumpett I learned from an associate who came from South Carolina, the phrase "Well, aren't you sweet", said with a smile, is a polite way of insulting you.

Since then, in my mind, "sweet" is only to be used with tea and baked goods ;).

Last edited:
It seems to me that many get infatuation & lust mixed up with love. The powerful organizations of our societies bank on that.

imho Emotional well being should be taught in school from kindergarten on.

I’ve experienced (and still do) whatever it is: ~ love ~ for which I’m incredibly grateful for myself, & my loved ones, partners, friends, & my 2 offspring. It’s always a work-in-progress.

Lmbo! Funny, but yes your associate is telling you the truth in some cases not all.

Just like the saying “Bless your heart”, not the best thing to hear in most cases. Point in case; “Look at that little child, bless their heart” ie: The kid is homely and the speaker is trying to be kind. ;)
Exactly!

Ok so no one's mentioned Attachment processes yet, so Im gonna. I ve talked about this on other threads, so here I ll just say, ability to make secure attachments is something we learn as we grow up, and in adulthood too, with a significant initial amount of that learning being at a very early stage like around first year of life.

Research tells us that some of us learn to make secure attachments at that early stage, whereas others become somewhat insecure, depending on how it is in our family of origin and how our parents or carers are with us.

As one might predict, my insecurity may likely lead me to select or be selected by, another person with an insecure attachment style. (Or sometimes, a narcissist or other person who may be controlling or coercive). At least a third of us start off insecure in our relating, so difficulties that can be worked on through achieving greater individual security in developmental therapy and relating, can lead us to happier relationships. That's certainly what happened for me, over the years.

But it was a long way round, which more information and understanding of the issues would have shortened. Still, I got there eventually...

Good points here. I also have come across this, that l am with some insecurities including attachment issues.

And the other factor is that males and females do have different ways of communicating, so l may think l am expressing that l care for someone and they may take it as me be annoying. Case in point, l may want to hear their voice every nite as simply a means to feel connected due to my female brain. It may come off to them as clingy co-dependent and even controlling type behavior if they are adverse to a healthy relationship. Because healthy or loving relationship has a different meaning to each of them and what biases they bring to the table, (operating room☺). Lol

So these little differences in how we interface can also be a giant nuclear bomb if either of us grapple with insecurities because we each enter in with our biases of what "healthy" is in a loving relationship. Being on the spectrum means we bring our black and white thinking which means relationships
can be a tab more pragmatic.

But l think love means communicating and being open to differences, not winner/controller decides all but mutual compassion and understanding.

Last edited:
Just a quick question really: have those who have dated ever felt truly in love? To me, I say the words and it feels hollow. I'd be interested to run this poll and see the results.

Ed
I thought I was each time, but on reflection, not.
Love is a little word, but also a HUGE one.
Apart from people/romance, love can mean making things, improving things, respect is love, any act of creation, nature, animals, plants, building things, repairing things. Politeness. That's just to name a few.

Love is a action not words. People have made it words because they like to do things their way instead of the biblical way.

Just finally got the courage to say it. It felt like we had our own feelings to grapple with. I felt scared to say l luv you so l prefaced it with maybe l may have to move further away because this area isn't working out. But you have always felt special, no matter how we feel, what hangups we have, we seem to navigate the choppy relationship waters and we haven't sunk ourselves. But l suffer from anxiety and barely get out of my head space to understand him. He may feel anxious too with woman in general but l think we have a solid friendship and we talk things out meaning it crossed into a deeper area l feel.

I voted yes, but actually, I have never in my life had a successful "date". All were tragic failures. My autistic mannerism and poor masking skills killed all of them.

Seemed hopeless.

I met my wife in an on-line chat room - two states away. We communicated for about two months before ever meeting in person. This allowed her to get to know me without being put off by my physical mannerisms. My autism has indeed been a problem, but we fell in love before any in-person meeting and it turns out that love is stronger than the negativity of my autism.

Everyone has their definition of love. I believe that love is a value system. I believe that love is anytime you value another persons life, well being and happiness over your own. The "another" person is not limited to social status, race, appearance, physical or mental condition, or even species. Simply; if you value their life, well being and happiness over your own, then I call that love.

.... baby don't hurt me....

Okay, now that's out of my system, real love is laying down everything you are, everything you have, and everything you need to help someone else achieve more than you ever did. It's giving without ever expecting a return.

New Threads

Top Bottom