• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is being bad at switching task?

An Arctic fox

I keep reading that ADHD and autism have issues with switching task. I'm wondering if I do but I'm no exactly sure what that is or wha it looks like. So what is it? And what does it look like when someone has issues with switching tasks?

Well, I'm not sure if this is the formal definition or anything, but when I have to go from doing one thing to another I'm absolutely useless for a considerable amount of time before I can properly get started on the new task. I just can't concentrate on the new task before something inside of me has had time to properly process that, okay, we're doing this now.

Well, I'm not sure if this is the formal definition or anything, but when I have to go from doing one thing to another I'm absolutely useless for a considerable amount of time before I can properly get started on the new task. I just can't concentrate on the new task before something inside of me has had time to properly process that, okay, we're doing this now.
Interesting. When I start a new task I'm usually zoned out for a bit and kinda struggling to pay attention (which I just realised is what you said), so I guess I do have that characteristic but it is usually ok since I cant focus well ever anyway and I'm mentally prepared for a new event to take place because of schedules

I'm fairly certain it means difficulty stopping what you're doing.

For example, if I google something, I'll just keep reading and scrolling and a weird amount of time will pass before I finally stop myself.

Once I start doing something, I want to keep doing it, sometimes even if I'm not enjoying it anymore.

That's what I've always thought of it as, so it'd be kinda funny if I'm wrong since it's been like a decade of thinking this.

I'm fairly certain it means difficulty stopping what you're doing.

For example, if I google something, I'll just keep reading and scrolling and a weird amount of time will pass before I finally stop myself.

Once I start doing something, I want to keep doing it, sometimes even if I'm not enjoying it anymore.

That's what I've always thought of it as, so it'd be kinda funny if I'm wrong since it's been like a decade of thinking this.
I also do that but only if I'm not bored with the topic

I have both difficulty stopping something (if it's not completed) and then starting something new. For example, I'm reading this forum, but I have an appointment and need to get ready to go out. I find it hard to draw myself away from tbe forum before I've finished reading it to go and get ready, which means that I'm late and have to rush at last minute to get ready and might be late for my appointment. Or I'm unaware of time, and suddenly realise I have only two minutes to prepare for a lesson.

I also find it hard to start tasks. If I finish one lesson with one student, I need a 5 minute transition phase before I start with the next one, because I need to mentally adjust to that student. Or if I need to cook at 3pm, I won't start until 3.30pm because I keep finding things to do or getting distracted, I'm kind of spacey and it take a huge effort initially to get myself focused and mentally on the task.

I have both difficulty stopping something (if it's not completed) and then starting something new. For example, I'm reading this forum, but I have an appointment and need to get ready to go out. I find it hard to draw myself away from tbe forum before I've finished reading it to go and get ready, which means that I'm late and have to rush at last minute to get ready and might be late for my appointment. Or I'm unaware of time, and suddenly realise I have only two minutes to prepare for a lesson.

I also find it hard to start tasks. If I finish one lesson with one student, I need a 5 minute transition phase before I start with the next one, because I need to mentally adjust to that student. Or if I need to cook at 3pm, I won't start until 3.30pm because I keep finding things to do or getting distracted, I'm kind of spacey and it take a huge effort initially to get myself focused and mentally on the task.
I used winner on that because there is no lots of agreeing reaction thingy

That describes me quite well except instead of needing 5 minutes to get adjusted I just get more directed then usual and forget one I'm saying more then usual

I can switch tasks in my own time and pace, but really am put out when others initiate it. As others have mentioned, my mind needs certain things to transistion. But I have found it is not insurmountable. You can train your mind to be open and fluid for a certain duration. At times in a job or life you just have to be that way. But its best if I have time to prep for going into that mode!

yea and its one of the reasons i banned myself from playing games for the fore-see-able future since even the sincere ones end up exploting the part of my brain that loves to settle into patterns

only experience this when im on the web though when im out in the wide world im realy impulsive and tend to do things on a whim.

I've come to understand that my mind works best of I can concentrate and have access to everything I know I need to complete a task well, and without upset. I'm very good at multi-tasking as long as nothing new or unnecessary interrupts me. It's as if all the steps and items involved are arranged neatly in my head. An interruption causes it all to fly away, then have to reconstruct the project from where I left off. Sometimes I forget where I left off, so I end up checking things that have already been done - just to be sure. It's a time waster and it puts a little bit of chaos in my operation. I have to organize my thoughts - AGAIN.

I've been accused of linear thinking. I believe that was always meant to be an insult. But, if I am left uninterrupted, I can get 4 tasks completed to perfection if I know what the true objectives are. I can be high energy, but I don't want to chit-chat while I work. It throws me off. A simple question gets a simple answer. I'm only happy when I complete tasks. I would be the ideal sweat-shop employee.

I have had to learn where ADD is my enemy. The task is a means of focus, so ADD doesn't have a place to mess with me. My mind is always focused on the next steps and a strategy for efficiency. It can be very draining, but I like working that way. I had always thought that I was a bit crazy for being so attentive, but it has served me well. I'm happy and I get things done. Where's the problem?

I just recall how much trouble I had learning a whole new type of insurance underwriting. Where I already was doing many forms of property and casualty underwriting, but then they wanted me to learn private passenger automobile underwriting as well.

I felt overwhelmed at first, and decided to do all my auto files in one half of the day, and all my property files in the other half. It allowed me to catch my breath so to speak. Made task switching somewhat easier until I eventually became proficient enough to do all lines of business at the same time if necessary.

I keep reading that ADHD and autism have issues with switching task. I'm wondering if I do but I'm no exactly sure what that is or wha it looks like. So what is it? And what does it look like when someone has issues with switching tasks?
I'm an NT (non-ASD) and my bf is (undiagnosed) on the spectrum. We were just talking about this this morning. I have been diagnosed with ADHD. Apparently the name of the disorder is a misnomer because it's doesn't necessarily mean that the person can't pay attention, but that they have difficulty with attention in general. For example, they may "hyperfocus" which means they can concentrate on something for an unusually long time and have trouble getting unfocused from the activity.

I find this to be true. If I'm focused on something at work and someone asks me a question, I answer as though I'm ready to respond; however, I won't actually hear and process their question at first. I always have to ask them to repeat it because it takes me a moment to switch my attention from the subject at hand to their question.

I also find that I can get really agitated if I'm focused on something intently and someone interrupts me.

I can be high energy, but I don't want to chit-chat while I work. It throws me off.
I most definitely can't talk while I'm working. I can't divide my attention like that - I have to be doing either one thing or the other, or complete one task and then go on to the next one. I don't know how people can be talking on the phone at the same time as looking something up on the internet, or entering data, for example. That kind of job would be impossible for me to do.

I most definitely can't talk while I'm working. I can't divide my attention like that - I have to be doing either one thing or the other, or complete one task and then go on to the next one. I don't know how people can be talking on the phone at the same time as looking something up on the internet, or entering data, for example. That kind of job would be impossible for me to do.
I have to listen to play a game or something on a call or draw or else I cant focus

I have to listen to play a game or something on a call or draw or else I cant focus
I can't have two thoughts at once in my head. If I'm talking to someone, then I have what they are saying or what I want to say to them in my head. For example, I'm talking to them about music and I'm telling them about any new music I've discovered recently. It would then not be possible for me to look up a movie at the same time, I'd have to think about the movie and abandon the thoughts about the music, as I can't keep them both at the same time. Looking up the movie would distract me from the music discussion. I've noticed that many people can do this though. One would distract me from the other and I'd lose my train of thought. I can be doing something physical, though, such as fidgeting with something, or walking. I'm easily distracted and can't concentrate on two things at once.

I can't have two thoughts at once in my head. If I'm talking to someone, then I have what they are saying or what I want to say to them in my head. For example, I'm talking to them about music and I'm telling them about any new music I've discovered recently. It would then not be possible for me to look up a movie at the same time, I'd have to think about the movie and abandon the thoughts about the music, as I can't keep them both at the same time. Looking up the movie would distract me from the music discussion. I've noticed that many people can do this though. One would distract me from the other and I'd lose my train of thought. I can be doing something physical, though, such as fidgeting with something, or walking. I'm easily distracted and can't concentrate on two things at once.
Oh yeah now I get it I'm like that

This is me. My brain kind of gets stuck and I can't seem to stop, especially when I feel it (usually what I am puzzling about or learning about) has not been resolved. I love to read schematics and figure out how a circuit works BUT after awhile I am tired and want to stop but it is hard to do.o_O My brain does not cooperate!!!:eek:

I can't do more than one task at a time. If I am forced too I blank out and forget what I am doing. This is why school was so difficult and I got average grades.

To me I think it means not being able to change tasks easily. Could be a problem for those of us with Autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom