• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is an Angel?

tree

Blue/Green
Staff member
V.I.P Member
This is a thread for offering personal definitions of the concept of "angel."
Images are OK, too.

It is not a place to debate any religion's point of view, including atheism,
regarding the existence or subsistence of "angels."

If you have had experiences that you believe were 'angel' oriented/based,
go ahead and describe those, if you choose.

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 5.19.33 PM.png

I have no religion, or at least no name for what I feel within me. I think we are all "angels" non-physical beings... When we are not in physical form - wheater it be human or something else... Its a big universe out there.

I feel we and every single thing that exists are made of energy, frequency, and vibrations, that are determined by the way we have lived and used our existences. "Angels of light would be high energy, high vibration beings who have chosen wisely with their existences. "Angels" or maybe "demons" to some degree would be very dark, low energy beings who have lived very unconsciously or they get hung up in these temporary physical contraptions... BUT we have an eternity to get it right - so there is no right or wrong, just contrast to show light from dark, good from bad and so on...

I do think we can get mentally on a level to be with them for short times and they do guide us, or they deceive us when we get very dark in our thoughts. Basically they can only do what we project at a certain energy level. Thats why when we pray or meditate, we raise that level and things often get much better, sometimes instantly.

I was determined to take my own life at one point years back. I was praying to be forgiven for what I was about to do. I either shutdown very hard, or passed out??? I don't know what happened. I woke up as the gun hit the ground, thinking I had done the unthinkable... After I found nothing was wrong with me... It was like this warm rush went all over me telling me "it is okay and I will be okay." I have never once wanted to harm myself again. So was it an angel, or GOD? I would have to say it wasn't me... Thats about all I can say, except that I have been very grateful for my LIFE ever since. : )

My pets have been like little angels, in the sense that they were always around to see me through very difficult times, that seemed to be their purpose before they died.

As for actual angels, I believe they were created far before humans, are vastly more intelligent and strong than humans, are neither male nor female, are bodiless, and carry out the will of their Creator. I had an experience where I felt I was visited by something, which I later believed to have been an angel, but I can't be sure. It happened a few days after my mother died. I was laying in bed, my dog was next to me. I was still awake, with my eyes shut. Suddenly touched my abdomen, penetrating into it, and then into my head - I kept my eyes shut, but just before it went up to my head I "saw" a flash of light though my eyes were closed. It's presence felt vastly powerful, as though it could kill me with the slightest mistake, and it was being extremely careful. As for the "touch", it just felt like pure love energy - like if you could bottle love in the form of energy. It lasted a few minutes, I finally opened my eyes, but couldn't see anything. My dog was sleeping, but I was still feeling this presence. I wasn't scared, but I was cautious not to interact with it. I relaxed, and eventually the presence left. The few times I've described this to people, they've said, "oh, that must have been your mother visiting you". I don't know - it didn't feel like my mother, it didn't feel male or female or human at all. Others said they had felt my mother's presence, that they could tell it was her. This wasn't like that at all.

Some believe angels are beings who (relative to this plane of existence) have the power and authority to intercede in the possibility of death which may- or may not involve a soul's "exit point". Multiple, predetermined incidents or possibilities which could result in the end of a soul's mortal existence.

That in general it is our own soul who "crafts" their temporary existence on Earth, who outline their own possibilities of death in addition to any number of goals and obstacles a soul may encounter. However because life on this plane of existence can be so dynamic, there is always the possibility of a mortal death by reasons not of their own making. At which time an angel can alter the outcome, and avoid such an incident from happening. If they so choose, likely with some degree of "cosmic oversight".

Which can result in a mortal soul avoiding the possibility of death whether they are completely cognizant of the possibilities, or not at all. And that OTOH, far less dire circumstances which might influence one's soul can occur as the result of one's spirit guide rather than an angel.

Which leaves us all with one ultimate question while on this plane of existence. When, where and how it's your time to leave it. Whether it remains your choice, or that of a higher power. That whether you stay or go at a single moment may- or may not be the result of your own intuition.

"A voice told me to this- or that and I survived." But was it really their own "voice", or that of another?

Last edited:
To me, an angel is anything deity related, and not bound by but not necessarily excluded from the corporeal, which may or may not have a personality and/or different degrees of identity. That is as open a viewpoint as I can think of while still sticking to the historical roots of the concept and keeping in line with what we know in linguistic terms about the literature that angels came from.

In the traditional Judeo-Christian literature it is only clear that an angel is something sent from god which may or may not be corporeal and is vaguely anthropomorphic. The same is true for most other religions with the same Mesopotamian roots.

So far as the Middle East goes, there are minor deities that figure into the theological dialogues but it wasn't until the Arabs took from those traditions (which is to say the advent of Islam) that there was any widespread, distinct concept of an angel, i.e. a being that is deity related but not a deity and heavily anthropomorphic, the Djinn. However it can be seen in the Kabbalah and amongst later mystical Jewish communities, e.g. the Qumran community that produced the Dead Sea Scrolls, that there were smaller groups with quite fascinating and distinct ideas about there being these important characters in the theological story.

Sadly I can't say too much about Medo-Persian and Assyrian beliefs, as germane as they are considering that it's from the same theological melting pot. From what I have read in the Enuma Elish, King's List, Kish Tablet, and Hammurabi's Code, it appears that they were more concerned with minor deities and deifying revered rulers than they were with a spiritual world full of demons and angels, but I can be mistaken.

For the beginnings of fantastical, imaginative, and distinct angel concepts I would definitely recommend a look at the Nag Hammadi library, particular Dead Sea Scrolls texts along the lines of The War Scroll and Genesis Apocryphon, the Kabbalah, and the Quran on the subject of there first being an earth populated by the Djinn.

Last edited:
View attachment 40920

I have no religion, or at least no name for what I feel within me. I think we are all "angels" non-physical beings... When we are not in physical form - wheater it be human or something else... Its a big universe out there.

I feel we and every single thing that exists are made of energy, frequency, and vibrations, that are determined by the way we have lived and used our existences. "Angels of light would be high energy, high vibration beings who have chosen wisely with their existences. "Angels" or maybe "demons" to some degree would be very dark, low energy beings who have lived very unconsciously or they get hung up in these temporary physical contraptions... BUT we have an eternity to get it right - so there is no right or wrong, just contrast to show light from dark, good from bad and so on...

I do think we can get mentally on a level to be with them for short times and they do guide us, or they deceive us when we get very dark in our thoughts. Basically they can only do what we project at a certain energy level. Thats why when we pray or meditate, we raise that level and things often get much better, sometimes instantly.

I was determined to take my own life at one point years back. I was praying to be forgiven for what I was about to do. I either shutdown very hard, or passed out??? I don't know what happened. I woke up as the gun hit the ground, thinking I had done the unthinkable... After I found nothing was wrong with me... It was like this warm rush went all over me telling me "it is okay and I will be okay." I have never once wanted to harm myself again. So was it an angel, or GOD? I would have to say it wasn't me... Thats about all I can say, except that I have been very grateful for my LIFE ever since. : )

Wow your story is really uplifting. May I ask what do you believe in now? You don't have to tell me if your uncomfortable sharing or you can PM me if you want to keep it private.

I'm ask cuz I'm still searching my truth.

Wow your story is really uplifting. May I ask what do you believe in now? You don't have to tell me if your uncomfortable sharing or you can PM me if you want to keep it private.

I'm ask cuz I'm still searching my truth.

Wow thanks. I don't have "my" truth either... I needed something NO MAN can touch or degrade actually (including myself). I have no need to hide it. I just will never force it on anyone, or usually even mention it unless asked. Its basically the oldest belief system known to mankind that I spent years digging for. Its been hidden and mocked and even made "evil" by people who use religions as governing ways to gain power over other people, mostly using guilt. Its so simple and I don't even know if it has a real name.

It can only be found in bits an pieces (for someone like me) and "Intuition" is basically how I pieced what I could back together. A lot of people like to call it "Law of Attraction" but that is just a tiny often very misleading part of a much larger Universal construct.

A construct that has the same governing principles that not only govern the Universe as a whole, but right down to the smallest subatomic particle in a single cell in our body, or a rock, or flower, etc. Its not a religion. Its not a belief. Its an eternal KNOWING and once it clicks (though I know not much at all) IT CLICKS... and its eternal and its right now, and it makes LIFE not near the secret mystery people deem it to be.

Every Holy Book has bits and pieces of it. Jesus taught lots of it, as did Buddha. Its in the Tao, even in the Quran and many more... So in that you know its more real than anything. This also makes you have a reverence for anyones beliefs. As far as going somewhere to "learn it"... Its never going to be taught from a pulpit because it makes the churches position useless and powerless instantly.

Many people see it as "mysticism" and worse because it is so different than what we have been force fed for so long. There are a few of us on here who kind of have found these same things on our own. It has to be looked for, it will not just land in your lap and I think searching for it, is the only way it should be found.

I'm not sure if anyone has an exact name for it either (maybe Universalism, but not in the regard to Christianity so much). It is still centered on an evolving creation, and there is a SOURCE, GOD, ALL THAT IS, (whatever you wish to call it) but we are living part of that source and we are experiencing every example of LIFE there is in the contrast to find where we want to reside in those Universal constructs, laws, agreements, rules (whatever you wish to call them).

So many people see us as just a body with a "soul" that needs to be saved... We are already eternal beings, in just one of countless temporary bodies. Once you get that, LIFE and death become something with a very different meaning. We are here NOT in search of how much junk we can acquire, but how much Universal wisdom we can place into this temporary existence that will elevate us in our next journey. Sometimes we hit the mark, sometimes we stumble, sometimes LIFE equations shut us out early...

One hint I can give you... Two of my modern hero's: Albert Einstein, and Nicola Tesla, figured this out and I nearly KNOW with all my heart this is where the unthinkable wisdom they possessed came from. Nearly every deeply wise person I have studied has links to this KNOWING... Learning how to use it... I'm still working on that.

I'm sort of possibly derailing a post so I need to stop and we can carry this on somewhere else if you want. I can go on with this for who knows how long. : )

Growing up, I did not have an angel experience, but I do like talking to those about it or those who enjoy religion in general. However, as a Catholic boy growing up (leaning more towards atheist now) it fascinated me that there were so many stories about angels.

Specifically I like the way the Catholic Church has given different ranks to angles.
- Archangel
- Seraphs
- Cherubs

I also like how the bible suggests that there are millions of angels in the book of Revelation. This made my imagination run wild thinking about how the angles dressed and how they each had different personalities.

One type of angel really made me wonder though...I always heard of an Guardian Angel...but never knew if I had one. Wouldn't that be nice though, someone sitting next to you smiling when you did something right or even pushing you to go a little further when it gets tough. Or just hugging you when it turns out the time became too rough to go any further.

Whatever they type of angel, I always wanted a guardian angel. More importantly, I wanted to ask him or her, how I can become one? I didn't want to become one for glory of God...I just wanted to make sure I was there to help lend a helping hand to others when they needed it most.

Oh wow, this thread is so amazing.

For the few weeks after xmas as I sorted through my annual festive overload, I took inventory of all my special interests. I have a very well paying, corporate soul sucking job and am plotting a shawshank style escape. However I have a family to support so it's a long term plan. But I make a small amount here and there selling art and stuff, not enough to live on yet. But if I get enough small projects then eventually I can move over. So the next project will be app development. I was looking at setting something up and looking at avatars or company names. Angels are a long running theme in my life, I was the nativity angel, my cat was called angel, I used to dress up as an angel, my son was cast as the nativity angel, and many other examples. So I chose seraphima as a name and did some research into angelic hierarchies and it's utterly fascinating. I love the stories of the fallen angels being stranded on earth (as punishment!) and imagine creation stories from these. So I'd be fascinated to read the rest of the posts on real angels.

And I do think angels exist if people choose to become so. When I was in intensive care after the birth of my second son I thought I saw my dead grandparents stood next to me smiling and glowing white. So maybe when I'm dead I'll apply to angel inc. and train up.

An Angel is a messenger/warrior from Heaven. Never encountered one in my life but I have spoken to people that have claimed that they have had the privilege of meeting one. Apparently, these "things" or people are human like in their appearance or manifestation but they are incredibly beautiful and very persuasive. They do not interest me that much, but I don't dismiss the possibility that they do exist and have peaceful intentions.

Many people believe we have spirit guides which some people may call guardian angels. There are also many people who claim to have met and communicated with their spirit guide, although sadly in my opinion there's also quite a few who sadly fake such communication for personal gain. These spirit guides allegedly may or may not be of human origin (E.g. someone who was once a physical human being and has later been assigned the role of a spirit guide). I have experienced lots of evidence that something unexplained by modern science that many would call spirits exist, but I personally haven't experienced any hard evidence of a spirit guide specifically despite being open minded and attempting to contact my alleged spirit guide on multiple occasions. I have however spoken to various people who claim to be in contact with their spirit guide and they have sometimes also shown unexplained intuition, whether this was because they're truly in contact with their spirit guide or something else I can't be certain and the evidence is inconclusive.

Last edited:
Many people believe we have spirit guides which some people may call guardian angels. There are also many people who claim to have met and communicated with their spirit guide, although sadly in my opinion there's also quite a few who sadly fake such communication for personal gain. These spirit guides allegedly may or may not be of human origin (E.g. someone who was once a physical human being and has later been assigned the role of a spirit guide). I have experienced lots of evidence that something unexplained by modern science that many would call spirits exist, but I personally haven't experienced any hard evidence of a spirit guide specifically despite being open minded and attempting to contact my alleged spirit guide on multiple occasions. I have however spoken to various people who claim to be in contact with their spirit guide and they have sometimes also shown unexplained intuition, whether this was because they're truly in contact with their spirit guide or something else I can't be certain and the evidence is inconclusive.

There's nothing quite like the power of suggestion. People with starkly different views of reality claim related ideas with as much assurity and fervor. E.g. atheistic forms of Buddhism and its adherents relating thoughts about Brahman/Self and Nirvana.

Last edited:
There's nothing quote like the power of suggestion. People with starkly different views of reality claim related ideas with as much assurity and fervor. E.g. atheistic forms of Buddhism and its adherents relating thoughts about Brahman/Self and Nirvana.
Very true and I know all about the power of suggestion as well as all the tricks that some so called psychics use to be very convincing hence why I know many are fake, however being told my late Nan's full name including first name on my request (Betty) and surname (not a common name) without coming out with any other names by someone who was talking only to myself that couldn't possibly have known this information as well as describing my late grandad and various other extremely specific things about where they lived certainly seemed like some sort of genuine intuition that was unexplained (I wasn't even paying for this information BTW). He even said "Bett or Betty" when my grandad used to call her "Bett" for short and he had no time to do any research, not that he could have even possibly found out about some of what he said. That isn't a belief, it really happened and I have experienced some fascinating unexplained phenomena when I did paranormal research from 1996 for quite a few years. This person who also claimed to be in contact with their spirit guide.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom