• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What If/Bad Drivers

How good of a driver are you?

• Better than average

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Average

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Worse than average

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I can’t/don’t drive

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
Can't tell you how many times, I and others have rescued people who have driven off the road after or during a snowstorm. In the middle of nowhere, upside down in their SUV's. Near holidays it's gets much worse.

One particular stretch of highway, in the winter, with people spinning around like tops, there were six cars in a snowbank. Rescued two groups, and brought them to a nearby hospital, they had mostly cuts and bruises and were shocky. Young drivers, unused to maneuvering in ice and snow and low visibility, using their brakes too quickly and too heavily, not turning slowly into the skid and overreacting. Saw a lot of 'jeep' style light AWD's which would tend to tip over, and end up on the sides of roads.

Last edited:
Can't tell you how many times, I and others have rescued people who have driven off the road after or during a snowstorm. In the middle of nowhere, upside down in their SUV's. Near holidays it's gets much worse.

One particular stretch of highway, in the winter, with people spinning around like tops, there were six cars in a snowbank. Rescued two groups, and brought them to a nearby hospital, they had mostly cuts and bruises and were shocky. Young drivers, unused to maneuvering in ice and snow and low visibility, using their brakes too quickly and too heavily. Saw a lot of 'jeep' style light AWD's which would tend to tip over, and end up on the sides of roads.

Its a strange feeling when you start coasting on ice.

I think the first time i accidentally discovered doing nothing was best.

But we dont get snow or ice like you lot.

Driving in congestion takes a lot if focus. It’s no wonder people feel tired and stressed out after their daily commute.

Driving in adverse weather is something that must be experienced. A textbook can offer guidelines but only experience can truly teach you how to deal with snow, rain, high wind, etc.

I know I'm late but...

I don't think knowing my friend was a bad driver would hurt the relationship. I just wouldn't let them take me anywhere. ;)
This community would still be friendly I believe because most are able to be blunt and just say what they feel normally and we get along with having wildly different opinions on things.
I think it's absolutely appropriate to call someone out for being a dangerous driver because it's not only their lives that is being considered but everyone they are driving around. Maybe they aren't even aware of it.
It would be wrong to judge a friendship based off their driving ability or lack thereof because there is so much more to consider.
I've thought about that one a lot because once people start driving for a while they start getting too lax and don't take it as seriously. It would be a huge hassle with a lot more fees involved as well. I can't really answer that one definitively.

I wouldn't say much good about myself in general but others have always told me that I'm a really good driver and feel safe when I take them somewhere. I've had one accident that was not my fault and had witnesses stay to make statements for me. I had two tickets. One was one of those red light cameras that have since been taken down and the other didn't have anything to do with my driving. There are technically three tickets on my record but one was someone else driving I had let borrow my car. :rolleyes:

I know I'm late but...

I don't think knowing my friend was a bad driver would hurt the relationship. I just wouldn't let them take me anywhere. ;)
This community would still be friendly I believe because most are able to be blunt and just say what they feel normally and we get along with having wildly different opinions on things.
I think it's absolutely appropriate to call someone out for being a dangerous driver because it's not only their lives that is being considered but everyone they are driving around. Maybe they aren't even aware of it.
It would be wrong to judge a friendship based off their driving ability or lack thereof because there is so much more to consider.
I've thought about that one a lot because once people start driving for a while they start getting too lax and don't take it as seriously. It would be a huge hassle with a lot more fees involved as well. I can't really answer that one definitively.

I wouldn't say much good about myself in general but others have always told me that I'm a really good driver and feel safe when I take them somewhere. I've had one accident that was not my fault and had witnesses stay to make statements for me. I had two tickets. One was one of those red light cameras that have since been taken down and the other didn't have anything to do with my driving. There are technically three tickets on my record but one was someone else driving I had let borrow my car. :rolleyes:

Late? This thread is only a day old. Even if it was older, is it ever too late to comment on a thread?

I think I agree about all of us continuing to get along. For the most part we prefer it when people are blunt and honest, even if they say something we disagree with. NTs aren’t like that though. My mom couldn’t stand when I pointed out how dangerous her driving was. I wonder if NT friends could handle the criticism or if they would get butt hurt.

How did you get a ticket unrelated to driving? Was it a parking ticket or something? I didn’t think those would go on your record.

Haha:D Well, I typically don't like to reply to threads that have a lot of replies because it almost feels like butting into a conversation.

I think in general most NT's take things too personally but again, I don't like to generalize too much because there are so many people with so many differences.

Well, at the time I had my temps(21 years old), the car was in my name and insurance but I was driving by myself. It's kind funny thinking about it now though.
I was literally about five minutes from my apartment and it was starting to get late but not late enough I would normally turn my lights on for. I noticed almost everyone had their lights on so I flipped mine on and then I was like "What am I doing? I'll turn them on when I know I need to." Yeah, so that prompted a nearby cop to think I was flashing my lights at him. That's how quick my decision was.:rolleyes: hahaha
He pulled me over and when he found out everything was legal besides my temps he tried to intimidate me by telling me all the things he could do right then and I was intimidated because I don't like to do anything outside the law on principle. Well, I got home by having someone else drive the car the minute back to my apartment.
I went to court and went to the wrong court room at first and was asked my name by a bailiff after a little while and shown the right room. All the time my anxiety is in overdrive. A few people went in front of me and got their judgements and then I went up and the clerk read the one charge against me. The judge waited a minute and then looked over at her in disbelief and said "That's it?" The entire room erupted into laughter and I was more nervous because I wasn't sure if that was good or bad! He asked me to explain then just made me pay court costs and have my license in a month and come back to show proof. Yeah, so that was that.:rolleyes: (Sorry for the lengthy reply)

How did you get a ticket unrelated to driving?

Parking tickets? No. However you can accrue non-moving violations on your MVR.

With California mvrs I used to see "Failure To Appear" more often than any others. Lack of insurance/financial responsibility, refusing a drug/alcohol test, drinking while underage, child safety restraint violations and so on.

While we couldn't hold them against a policyholder in terms of safe-driver points, we could use it against them subjectively when other circumstances gave us latitude in terms of bumping a policy to a standard market from a preferred one, or the difference between non-renewal or not.

The worst though is when you do something that merits a citation/violation being stricken from your record, and for whatever bureaucratic reason it doesn't get done. Whereas policyholders are left "holding the bag" with underwriters who are forced to take punitive action regarding insurance matters. That it's the responsibility of the policyholder to deal with the DMV and not their insurer.

Last edited:
Used to be an outstanding driver. The only licences I didn't have were motorcycle and fork lift. Completed v.i.p driving courses, advanced driving course, all weather simulation cradle and just shy of thirty years with a clean licence and two RTCs.
(The first, not my fault. The second I fell asleep !)

Those who claim ' Yeh, I can drive in my sleep' ...simply not true :)

I'm not keen on much driving now though.
Roads are too packed, drivers in such a damn hurry, little consideration or courtesy.

Feels aggressive and dangerous on the roads now. People drive at great speeds without the skill or experience and cause avoidable accidents.

(Unless it's just me getting old !!)

Feels aggressive and dangerous on the roads now. People drive at great speeds without the skill or experience and cause avoidable accidents.

Same for me, I don't like driving now. When I was in my twenties I really liked it, it was exciting and fun and it hadn't lost it's shine then. Now if you pause for a second at a green here people actually honk their horn at you.

There's also a lot of line jumping, where instead of waiting your turn in a line of cars, to save a second or two you pass someone on the right and attempt to break into the line of cars higher up.
Drivers here are aggressive, but they drive well, just too fast on narrow roads.
I find it kind of amusing, in some ways. As it's not a city, but people drive impatiently, as if somehow they are late for something really important, on their way home.

Haha:D Well, I typically don't like to reply to threads that have a lot of replies because it almost feels like butting into a conversation.

I think in general most NT's take things too personally but again, I don't like to generalize too much because there are so many people with so many differences.

Well, at the time I had my temps(21 years old), the car was in my name and insurance but I was driving by myself. It's kind funny thinking about it now though.
I was literally about five minutes from my apartment and it was starting to get late but not late enough I would normally turn my lights on for. I noticed almost everyone had their lights on so I flipped mine on and then I was like "What am I doing? I'll turn them on when I know I need to." Yeah, so that prompted a nearby cop to think I was flashing my lights at him. That's how quick my decision was.:rolleyes: hahaha
He pulled me over and when he found out everything was legal besides my temps he tried to intimidate me by telling me all the things he could do right then and I was intimidated because I don't like to do anything outside the law on principle. Well, I got home by having someone else drive the car the minute back to my apartment.
I went to court and went to the wrong court room at first and was asked my name by a bailiff after a little while and shown the right room. All the time my anxiety is in overdrive. A few people went in front of me and got their judgements and then I went up and the clerk read the one charge against me. The judge waited a minute and then looked over at her in disbelief and said "That's it?" The entire room erupted into laughter and I was more nervous because I wasn't sure if that was good or bad! He asked me to explain then just made me pay court costs and have my license in a month and come back to show proof. Yeah, so that was that.:rolleyes: (Sorry for the lengthy reply)

You are the second person I have heard of getting a ticket for flashing their lights at a cop. The other person wasn't trying to either. Some cops have an ego problem. I have run into my fair share.

Same for me, I don't like driving now. When I was in my twenties I really liked it, it was exciting and fun and it hadn't lost it's shine then. Now if you pause for a second at a green here people actually honk their horn at you.

There's also a lot of line jumping, where instead of waiting your turn in a line of cars, to save a second or two you pass someone on the right and attempt to break into the line of cars higher up.
Drivers here are aggressive, but they drive well, just too fast on narrow roads.
I find it kind of amusing, in some ways. As it's not a city, but people drive impatiently, as if somehow they are late for something really important, on their way home.

They gotta get home so they can glue their eyes to the TV, I mean so they can have family time. You wouldn't want them to miss the start of their show, I mean not have as much time with their kids.

I tend to drive fast but I don't drive aggressively; I realize I'm not the only driver on the road. (If an Aspie can figure that out, what excuse do other people have?) I wonder if I will continue to enjoy driving as I get older or if the appeal will wear off.

When I was in my twenties I really liked it, it was exciting and fun and it hadn't lost it's shine then. Now if you pause for a second at a green here people actually honk their horn at you.
Same. It really made me irritable when another driver tooted for one second at the green light. It happens all the time in the UK. I’ve stopped driving and a big part of it is this and I hated where I used to live which made things worse in my mind. I’ve moved away and never looked back, including giving up driving. I have rented a car once, but to have one permanently, no chance. It’s too expensive and I don’t even need one.

Would finding out your good friend is a terrible driver hurt the relationship?
> No idea, I don't really have friends! :)

Is it appropriate to call someone out for driving that is dangerous and potentially deadly? What if someone isn’t dangerous, just a bad driver?
> Yes definitely. It would fall into the category of things people don't want to hear, but is necessary for the future victims sake. I call this out where necessary, another reason I don't really have friends!

Would it be wrong to avoid befriending someone you know is a bad driver?
> Probably, everyone has flaws and they need to be accepted regardless. Though as previously established, I'm not really an authority on friendships :)

Should road tests be periodically readministered for current license holders?
> Definitely. They do in the UK but not often enough. I think you have to be old and blind before they bother.

New Threads

Top Bottom