• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What I Have Learned

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
Since last year I have been undergoing Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for PTSD from an isolation that I felt powerless to change. At the start I had to write a narrative about Why the Traumatic Events Occurred. My task now is to replicate that narrative with what I understand about myself now. I have been working for three days now and I hope a sense of what I have learned has finally gelled. Here it is to let me know if I have avoided non sequiturs. After this, I am feeling good about myself.

My neurology complicated my life, especially socially when it amplified the negative. Yet the positives; the interests, the focus that let me be ultimately successful at work and prepare for retirement, to live in a beautiful area, with friends and accepting acquaintences, I would never want to relinquish.

Part of my success has to do with things that I formerly thought far beyond my capabilities as I was never successful in things like sports which we were told, as men, we were supposed to value.

I cannot be envious of others. Measuring myself against others started me on the road to hating myself.

I told myself lies that prevented me from having a full life as a teen and young adult. My mind took things as rejection even if, in truth, they were not, and just ordinary miscommunications or brainfarts. I need to forgive myself for that. I do not know what my mind was trying to protect?

I am not the person that I was at my loneliest. I have matured socially and am happy that while I may not have been Susan's first, I was the last lover she wanted. I just wish I could have parented that younger me, to offer the guidance that I never received but sorely needed.

Overcoming my isolation, especially as I was not aware of my ASD, means that I should have confidence in my value. Should I be bereft of Susan, some woman will be lucky to have a loving, interesting, and self-sufficient man, me.

I am starting to see the wisdom of Hunter S. Thompson. Being spiritual, I believe this is the only life we have: death is just like it was before being born. So: "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson.

Last edited:
Idk about that last part, life doesn't really need to be anything. In the end it doesn't matter whether you live a lonely depressing life or an amazing life filled with friends with and family, all memories are annihilated eventually, and the past doesn't exist.

Idk about that last part, life doesn't really need to be anything. In the end it doesn't matter whether you live a lonely depressing life or an amazing life filled with friends with and family, all memories are annihilated eventually, and the past doesn't exist.
That is a given. So, if this is all I have why not have a good time and help some people in the process to enjoy their lives also.

Rejection is quite a common issue. Some use it to propel themselves forward, some use it to hold themselves back. My family rejected me on many levels as parents typically do with daughters. So l felt early on in life, l need to find my acceptance in life thru jobs, and friends, etc. And l like to validate the people in my inner circle. Is this the correct way to live life. No, it's not. It's an endless treadmill, it's easier just to love you-all versions of you.

This is the main tactic of gang control. Your family rejected you, we won't do that to you, we have your back, which is quite successful, since many inner city kids come from very dysfunctional families.

But very nice post. Makes us stop and smile and think about our existence.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom