• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What have you learned the hard way?

That life isn't fair. I'm 71 years old and still have trouble accepting this.
That if you live by the golden rule, you can't expect others to do unto you what you've done for them.
Those are the main things.

I'm still learning the hard way that I shouldn't always try to be nice. For example, my sister has a friend who lives in Liverpool who has come down this weekend with her girlfriend. They haven't really made much of an effort to see my sister, and today she has gone with them to a cat cafe (their idea, my sister was less than enthusiastic) and then she had thought they were all going back to hers for a takeaway and board games. It turns out that the couple had changed plans without telling her and were going for a meal (without sister). So I can see she's basically been ditched, invite her to ours for the evening which she is up for. Then they decide they will look at some shops before the meal, and ask her and she then essentially blows me off. I get that she wants to actually spend some time with them, but they already blew her off for other plans but then she does the same as soon as she has a better offer.

Having said that, I am used to being dropped for better plans by both my sister and many supposed friends over my life, so I shouldn't be so surprised. You'd think I would have learned by now ;)

People from Liverpool are always going "Ey Ey calm down ey!" as well :D *gets coat*

What you do comes back to you. Like ripples in a pond bouncing off the shore and back. God, karma or whatever, brace yourself before you choose to drop that rock.

People don't always mean what they say, and the purpose of their communication might not have anything to do with the meaning of the words they are using, but with their own agendas and goals instead.

i have learned things the hard way, unless when i am powerful enough to blatantly ignore the lesson. so, not very often do i learn things the hard way.

People don't always mean what they say, and the purpose of their communication might not have anything to do with the meaning of the words they are using, but with their own agendas and goals instead.
On that ^ endlessly troublesome fact of life: I'll probably never count it as a lesson learned because I've given up trying to know what's really being said with their words.

Chaos reigns.

Don't rub irritated eyes with the same hand that's been handling onions.

Always check the branding on tubes of stuff in the bathroom.
It may look like the tube of toothpaste but that's no guarantee that it is actually toothpaste.
Stay focused and don't day dream with the menial stuff.

It's perfectly okay to say "No" ... The word was invented for audible use not just to ricochet around your skull in thought alone.

Don't tell some people the truth, that isn't the response they really wanted. Lie ... If you can't think of a lie quickly enough, shrug.

that all people are liars and they never mean what they do or say. their actions never match their words and the words never match their actions. i take everything and NT says with a grain of salt(learned what that idiom meant this year lol)

New Threads

Top Bottom