• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What happens when you talk to people?

David88

When I try to talk to people, my throat gets very dry and I find it almost impossible to talk or say something.

When I talk to myself (not conversations, just you know when you'll say stuff to yourself) I sound fine.

Who could I see about this, or is there a way to help myself get better?

I'm no expert but that sounds like social anxiety. it isn't uncommon and, a therapist, counselor or, psychologist would be the one to help you.

Doing it yourself may prove too much for you, you may need professional help if you can't make yourself talk to people and relax while doing it. Practice might make perfect but, if you can't handle the practice alone, then you probably need professional help.

I feel as if I am a machine (well... I don't really know how a machine "feels" :) but I can imagine :) ) I see the thought building process in my mind. When I am too tired and overwhelmed I reach into my "emergency box" and take whatever I think is suitable. Sometimes I feel bad about being so generic, especially when at those moments people expect me to listen or participate. My responses don't equal amount of empathy I may experience, sometimes they are just responses. I think everybody functions like that but most don't notice the "mechanics". For me those "mechanics" are important because I have to see how my thoughts are forming to make sense out of communication.

New Threads

Top Bottom