• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What flags did you miss before you were diagnosed?

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
A lot of the "Hi, I'm new here" posts mention past signs that they should have recognized. It made me think about the flags I saw in myself but didn't recognize as signs of being on the spectrum.

The big one was when I told a friend of mine that I just watch normal people and do what they do.

Another is that fact that I've known since I was 14 that I am physically incapable of sitting still.

I didn't know what masking and stimming were, so the signs went unrecognized. After the diagnosis, a lot of other things clicked, but those two signs have been in plain view for decades.

What were your obvious-after-the-fact signs?

Hm.. good question! =)

I guess, I always felt different... but that doesn't count.

- Poor ability to connect to others
- No intimate or sexual relationships (although I tried in my desire to be like others)
- Loner, but wanting to be like others a lot
- Imitating others because of lack of intuition
- Intense interests, more to objects than people
- Little socializing
- Not integrating into groups, always sticking out
- Little empathy and perspective-taking
- Bad exec. functions and ADS, but special talents all the same
- Connected to objects and materials, as well as visual and other stimmuli
- Social anxiety
- General anxiety
- Inflexible personality

Seen and referred to by others as weird and freakishly smart when I was a kid, excellent and advanced for my age group in mathematics and reading. I am hyperlexic and knew how to read very advanced books very early on in life even though no one actually taught me how to read (This was a splinter skill though, even though I knew how to read I didn't really understand what I was reading until later on in life.).

Echolalia - For a few years starting from the age of about 4, I started imitating people's actions, repeating their words and phrases with the same tone. I wasn't even aware I was doing it until my family pointed it out to me and made me feel super weird about it.

Often looking super spacey and lost - I was always deep in my own thoughts, safe in my own world.

Sensory problems - Anxiety went through the roof when around loud stuff, very big stuff, chaos, crowds, having to interact with others.

Needing a lot more extra time than most others to recover from sensory overload and confusing and stressful social interactions.

Seen as extremely, painfully shy and quiet. But when I talked I seemed to have problems controlling the volume of my own voice (goes with sensory problems above)

Poor fine motor skills, OK gross motor skills.

Actions and thoughts that others would deem as "obsessive" because of the amount of time I spent doing/thinking about them.

Inability to regulate emotions, especially sadness and anger. Was prone to outbursts and had rage issues.

stimming - fidgeting a lot, swaying, humming, bouncing legs, tapping feet, picking obsessively at hair, and other stuff

Tendency to anthropomorphize.

Preference to be with animals over people. Preference to be isolated and lost in my inner world over this physical world that was too stressful almost all the time.

Very poor impulse control.

A lot more stuff but can't list them all here. A lot of these overlap with symptoms and manifest differently because of ADHD.

Last edited:
*repeats what a stranger says*

Friend looks at me.

Me, "Sometimes, I have to repeat what someone says."

"You HAVE to?"

"Yep!

"...alright," and shrugs.
---

Everything has to go to in the right spot every time and everything I do has to be done in the right order every time.
---

Thinking, as a teenager: "Humans make no sense. But aren't I a human? I make sense, though. Okay, I get it. I'm a different species than everyone else. That explains everything... I wonder what planet I'm from."
---

*things don't go exactly as I imagined they would*

Brain: No more talking for the day! MAYBE I'll let you move, a little. Good luck dealing with the people around you. The involuntary vow of silence starts... NOW!
---

"What is wrong with eating the same thing everyday and being so disgusted by almost everything else that I would rather starve?"

"...what wrong is with you?"

That second one is my mom. :)
---

Brain: All I want to do is play piano. All we can think about is piano. But we're at work where there is no piano. I want to die. Death, piano, death, piano, piano, piano, death, die, suicide, piano piano...*continues for years*
---

That's all I got for now. :D

@Jojo_LB : Wow that seems pretty intense!

Hahaha... I mean, with all those signs, it just makes one wonder how could they be missed....

I think most of those were overlooked rather than missed. And people just categorized me as "weird" and "bad", "obstinate", too "headstrong" for my own good. It was truly sad and unfortunate for the child me...

I am hyperlexic and knew how to read very advanced books very early on in life even though no one actually taught me how to read.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I learned how to read on my own sometime around age 3 or 4. I have no memory of not being able to read.

For the longest time, I had to compulsively read anything around me. If there was print in my field of view, I had to read it.

It pops up in weird ways now - I will be walking down the aisle at a grocery store, literally thousands of words printed on everything around me, and not consciously reading anything... and suddenly a word will pop into my head. I will stop, look around, and realize that it was printed on something I just walked by. My brain just decided, "Hey, I found some words for you. Here you go: 'WHOLESOME!' 'VALLEY!' '30% MORE!' You're welcome."

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I learned how to read on my own sometime around age 3 or 4. I have no memory of not being able to read.

For the longest time, I had to compulsively read anything around me. If there was print in my field of view, I had to read it.

It pops up in weird ways now - I will be walking down the aisle at a grocery store, literally thousands of words printed on everything around me, and not consciously reading anything... and suddenly a word will pop into my head. I will stop, look around, and realize that it was printed on something I just walked by. My brain just decided, "Hey, I found some words for you. Here you go: 'WHOLESOME!' 'VALLEY!' '30% MORE!' You're welcome."

Same. I think letters and numbers are the first things I notice on anything.

And I also had/have an obsession with finding the meanings of words. I like long polysyllabic words and getting their definitions in a dictionary if I can't infer them by context clues. I really enjoy precise grammar usage (though I never knock anyone for misspellings and imprecise grammar, 'cause that's just unnecessary). This is why actual face-to-face conversations with me are an odd experience for most NT's. I use words no one else uses in normal, informal conversations. Some people dislike me for it 'cause they think i'm trying to show off, but they just happen to be the first words that pop into my head and they just come out. It's not like I spend every moment in interactions with people thinking, "Hm, what can I say to this person so I can stump them and make them so confused and inferior and make them be in awe of my extensive vocabulary??"

That, coupled with my flat-ish, even tone and inability to look people directly in the eyes for more than 1 second, and it's like speaking to an android for them lol

My disorganization, lack of essential life skills, (people said I was just lazy, and I believed it). Stimming and also hyper-focusing on things that interested me. Basically my whole life was turned upside down (but not in a bad way, more of an enlightened way).

My whole life was a red flag and I, nor anyone else, ever picked up on any of them.
No friends in school and no friends at work. (I wanted to sit in my bedroom, listen to music and paint black light posters in high school and my mom would sometimes MAKE me go out with some of her friends kids - just to get me out).
Feeling like I lived in a box that restricted all actions, sometimes to the point of not being able to move even a finger.
Why did I hate things that most people actually seemed to enjoy?
Getting into a special interest and becoming so involved I'd forget to eat, use the bathroom, etc and getting upset if I was interrupted.
Why I didn't learn to talk until I was in second grade?
Why I cried every day going to school because I didn't want to leave my house - and FELT the same way having to go to work.
Why I was always so much happier when I was by myself.
Why I could so easily fall in love with a place, but had trouble falling in love with a person.
I didn't realize I stemmed - but other's should have noticed. I remember my mom asking why I was rocking, if something was wrong with me and a boss asking why I was rocking. (I usually didn't realize I was).
Why I'd get so short of breathe and have a hard time breathing in certain circumstances. - kind of funny, I passed out a couple times when a boyfriend kissed me - guess I had been not breathing already before he kissed me and definitely didn't breathe as he kissed me - and passed out. lol (I actually haven't told that one to anyone because it's a bit embarrassing). But if I was ever on a date or something, I found myself short of breathe from not breathing correctly and couldn't figure out why - wasn't like I was exerting myself. And as I'd get short of breathe, I'd try to breathe slower so the boyfriend or date wouldn't realize I was short of breathe. LOL
I never realized that everyone wasn't hearing the same sounds I was hearing and just better tolerated the buzz from the lights, etc.
I could go on and on with pages of this stuff - when I first realized female aspergers explained all these things (that I'd talk to my sister about, but she would have no idea what I was talking about so I finally decided I must be a bit crazy), I had an entire notebook filled with traits and plenty of examples for each trait as to why it fit me.
I was just glad to learn I wasn't crazy. LOL
Oh and I remember (remember I was only 16) my husband telling me I needed to shower more often - which I did once I was told. And I had to be instructed on lots of basic hygiene stuff, when other people didn't.

Please let me know some of your extensive vocabulary, @Jojo_LB =)

Ah, sorry doesn't work like that. I can't be prompted or asked to do it. I've got to get into a certain mood first. (The "I had a couple of thoughts on this, but now I have a few thousand more and I can't stop myself from turning this into something far deeper than it was intended to be" mood).

I'm sure after reading at least one of my past posts, you will think "Who talks/writes like this?" I'm also sure there are a few that could put you to sleep :D

Besides, seeing it on a forum is not the same as in-person convo.. can't compare with the entire android experience lol

l talked way too fast, and l could speed up and talk faster, outgrew that. l could spends hours in artwork in my bedroom in highschool, which totally freaked out my mom. I was kissed by a guy in junior high, and thought, omg, how gross. My behind was pinched after high school homeroom, l turned around and slapped the person in back of me, they slapped me back. l read every children's book at our library, small country library. l had a extremely active imagination during my childhood. When my stepfather critiqued me, l always wonder why l couldn't be like the other kids, (perfect, :(

Everything could be explained by using other labels :)

Shy, bookworm, wilful, stubborn, high strung, clever, energetic, enthusiastic, tantrums.
Plenty of other labels that Serve no purpose to repeat.

Repetitive hand movements and repeating words heard were stopped early on in ways that were acceptable in that era.

I’m presuming I developed some pretty outstanding observational and mimicking skills to prevent the negative messages and actions.
No more labels :)

Books too.
Some early self help books practically spoon fed normalcy.
“You MUST be feeling blah, blah ... an emotionally heathy way to deal with such and such is to ...”

Hmmm?
Okay, I’ll have me some of that there ‘emotionally healthy’

Who do I know that’s emotionally healthy? I know, such and such a body.
I’ll hang out with them, learn some emotional health.
Ask questions. Understand concept. Easy :)
Book instruction box - ticked.

Therapy too.
Therapist: “How do you feel about that?”

“Don’t really feel anyway about that”

“When we experience trauma we can repress ....

... we’ll revisit in another session”

(There’s my instructions - key words,
Trauma, repression and ‘we’)

Go away and research a majority (“we”) reaction to types of trauma, what repression is and how to ‘appear’ in preparation for another session,

Huge waste of everyone’s time from that point on.

There’s lots more :)
Is a monster post already.
I’ll put the brakes on here.

Lots... big things and little things. Too many to list here. It's going to be a long read :)

As a small child, no speech delay, but a lot of social and behavioural problems. No pretend play, liking soft toys for their feel, not to play with. Having frequent meltdowns, once hitting a teacher and another time ending up in emergency. Refusing to wear certain clothes, hating clothes with elastic, refusing to wear dresses, only jeans and T-shirt. Having obessions with things like Sellotape, wanting the same story read to me over and over again, listening to a song over and over again. Lots of quirks like eating every single morsel on my plate so it had to be totally clean. Refusing certain foods for sensory reasons, like tomatoes and eggs.

Refusing to do certain things at school, like country dancing and cursive handwriting. Not understanding social necessities such as apologising, simply not seeing or understanding the need for them, so refusing to do them. Intense likes or dislikes that I couldnt explain, such as disliking teenagers and sardines, but loving space, the solar system, astronomy - our teacher gave us a lesson on the sun, and I was hooked.

Happy to play on my own, wanting sometimes to play with others or to have friends, but not knowing the rules and not knowing how to go about it, or why things were going wrong. Very aloof, not wanting or giving hugs or affection, not sharing, talking about my day at school, refusing to hold hands to cross the road. I also had some ADHD-like symptoms, such as being extremely messy and untidy - putting my clothes on inside out or back to front so my mum had to actually check me before I left to school, and this was in middle school, at an age where kids generally were expected to be able to dress themselves without such problems. Constantly moving or fiddling, suddenly getting excited and rushing to one end of the room to the other when someone was talking to me. Restless and easily bored, always needing to be occupied or doing something. If I wasn't doing a 'special interest', I was bored.

Getting behind at school, getting very bad reports for a couple of years to the point where the school called my parents and told them that I need to go into a slow learners' class, which my parents refused to let happen, insisting that I was intelligent, but just not applying myself. Autism was suspected by the remedial teacher I had, but my GP didn't think I had it, only kids with the more severe symptoms of classic autism were diagnosed in the early 80s with very few exceptions.

As a teenager I became very withdrawn, a high achiever academically but very dreamy and in my head all the time, very aloof. The other kids all formed friendship groups, but I didn't fit in. I was rarely invited to parties or included in anything. I would sit with a group of girls, but not talk and not able to join in the conversation. It felt like watching TV. I felt isolated, detached, not a part of things. I deliberately read a teenage magazine, Jackie, to try to understand teenagers and their relationships better. I tried and experimented with different ways to talk to people or make friends, something that came naturally to other teenagers. I was very much aware of my social difficulties and differences to my peers. Became depressed, hardly spoke for 6 months. I had routines I had to maintain, such as eating my dinner at six o' clock and if it was even 5 minutes late, I started to get exremely anxious, if it was very late I would be upset or even have a meltdown. Getting up half an hour before everyone else so I could sit and eat breakfast in peace, without my other family members. Coming home and immdeiately locking myself in the bathroom for an hour to have a bath with a book and be alone. Self-loathing, I wanted to get away, wished I was somewhere else, and became obsessed with Germany and the German language after I watch a video showing a dark forest and mountains of Germany, this had an intense appeal to me for some reason. That's all I could think about for a long while. I was never happy and thought I could be happy if I went there.

Not being able to socialize with peers and no one understanding why? Also having a vivid imagination as I kid changing any old TV dial to Channel 75 "any TV's before 1983 when they were taking away".

l talked way too fast, and l could speed up and talk faster, outgrew that. l could spends hours in artwork in my bedroom in highschool, which totally freaked out my mom. I was kissed by a guy in junior high, and thought, omg, how gross. My behind was pinched after high school homeroom, l turned around and slapped the person in back of me, they slapped me back. l read every children's book at our library, small country library. l had a extremely active imagination during my childhood. When my stepfather critiqued me, l always wonder why l couldn't be like the other kids, (perfect, :(
I thought kissing was gross, too. I remember the first party I went to and they'd turn lights off so boys and girls could kiss - I snuck off and went outside. Ick. lol
Lots... big things and little things. Too many to list here. It's going to be a long read :)

As a small child, no speech delay, but a lot of social and behavioural problems. No pretend play, liking soft toys for their feel, not to play with. Having frequent meltdowns, once hitting a teacher and another time ending up in emergency. Refusing to wear certain clothes, hating clothes with elastic, refusing to wear dresses, only jeans and T-shirt. Having obessions with things like Sellotape, wanting the same story read to me over and over again, listening to a song over and over again. Lots of quirks like eating every single morsel on my plate so it had to be totally clean. Refusing certain foods for sensory reasons, like tomatoes and eggs.

Refusing to do certain things at school, like country dancing and cursive handwriting. Not understanding social necessities such as apologising, simply not seeing or understanding the need for them, so refusing to do them. Intense likes or dislikes that I couldnt explain, such as disliking teenagers and sardines, but loving space, the solar system, astronomy - our teacher gave us a lesson on the sun, and I was hooked.

Happy to play on my own, wanting sometimes to play with others or to have friends, but not knowing the rules and not knowing how to go about it, or why things were going wrong. Very aloof, not wanting or giving hugs or affection, not sharing, talking about my day at school, refusing to hold hands to cross the road. I also had some ADHD-like symptoms, such as being extremely messy and untidy - putting my clothes on inside out or back to front so my mum had to actually check me before I left to school, and this was in middle school, at an age where kids generally were expected to be able to dress themselves without such problems. Constantly moving or fiddling, suddenly getting excited and rushing to one end of the room to the other when someone was talking to me. Restless and easily bored, always needing to be occupied or doing something. If I wasn't doing a 'special interest', I was bored.

Getting behind at school, getting very bad reports for a couple of years to the point where the school called my parents and told them that I need to go into a slow learners' class, which my parents refused to let happen, insisting that I was intelligent, but just not applying myself. Autism was suspected by the remedial teacher I had, but my GP didn't think I had it, only kids with the more severe symptoms of classic autism were diagnosed in the early 80s with very few exceptions.

As a teenager I became very withdrawn, a high achiever academically but very dreamy and in my head all the time, very aloof. The other kids all formed friendship groups, but I didn't fit in. I was rarely invited to parties or included in anything. I would sit with a group of girls, but not talk and not able to join in the conversation. It felt like watching TV. I felt isolated, detached, not a part of things. I deliberately read a teenage magazine, Jackie, to try to understand teenagers and their relationships better. I tried and experimented with different ways to talk to people or make friends, something that came naturally to other teenagers. I was very much aware of my social difficulties and differences to my peers. Became depressed, hardly spoke for 6 months. I had routines I had to maintain, such as eating my dinner at six o' clock and if it was even 5 minutes late, I started to get exremely anxious, if it was very late I would be upset or even have a meltdown. Getting up half an hour before everyone else so I could sit and eat breakfast in peace, without my other family members. Coming home and immdeiately locking myself in the bathroom for an hour to have a bath with a book and be alone. Self-loathing, I wanted to get away, wished I was somewhere else, and became obsessed with Germany and the German language after I watch a video showing a dark forest and mountains of Germany, this had an intense appeal to me for some reason. That's all I could think about for a long while. I was never happy and thought I could be happy if I went there.
I never hit a teacher or anyone - but I remember yelling at teachers and ending up in the principal's office a lot. And, as for clothes - yes. I just wondered why they made clothes that were so itchy to begin with and that people must just wear them for looks no matter how uncomfortable they were. I wondered how people I'd watch could just sit and let flies land on them without swooshing them off. And in elementary school our dress code was that we had to wear dresses (no pants) so I'd sneak and wear shorts underneath so I could play on the monkey bars. :) And taking things literal - told if I leave bees alone they wouldn't sting me so I sat and watched one sting me that landed on me and I was trying to leave it alone.

I like this thread. It takes me back to when I first realized what all these things were - autism, and there was that relief in going over all those things that made me feel different from the rest of the world and hearing others naming those same traits. It reminds me that I may be different than most people I know, but not ALL the world. I do have my own little spot with others that know exactly what I'm talking about.

New Threads

Top Bottom