• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you do when you're nearing your breaking point of exhaustion?

AuroraBorealis

I just came home after a very enjoyable meet with a new friend. During the meeting, after a few hours I noticed getting more tired and started having difficulty concentrating, but I enjoyed myself with this person so much I didn't want to stop yet. On the way home, I noticed getting closer and closer to exhaustion. At the train station, everything got overstimulating and I put on headphones (thankfully, that other person had absolutely no problem with me doing this). I then spent half an hour standing on a maximum crowded train, stimming to my music so openly like I never have done until now, turning a furry little ball between my fingers. Some people looked, but well. Now, at home, I am tired, slight headache, brainfoggy, getting this slightly tense feeling in my chest, lights are too bright, can't talk to my partner. It seems I'm approaching the Point Of No Return.

I still have to read some stuff up for my language class so I guess I will retreat to our bedroom, dim the lights, snuggle up with our plushies and read that stuff.

What do you guys do in this situation? What's your way of dealing when you approach a meltdown/shutdown/simple exhaustion from overstimulation, but are not quite there yet?

Edit: Seems I was too ambitious. Can't focus on a word of that stuff. For some reason I can write and read English right now but not that other language I'm learning. Guess it's just snuggling with plushies then.

Last edited:
I hope you feel much better soon. When I'm really tired, I tend to just get quiet, and I don't have the energy to do all of the usual polilteness/outgoing checks or revisions on what I want to say. I will become very short and matter-of-fact, and it's not because I'm being nasty, I just don't have the energy to add extra stuff. I only started noticing just recently, that the idle state for my eyes is kind of crossed and wonky, so I'm sure that makes me look like a real winner to people. So, if I'm tired, I tend to retreat into my head, and you might find me staring cross-eyed at nothing at all. Oh, well!

body snatchers.jpg

What I always do. Take a bubble bath and move to a new body.

;)

What do you do if you can't go to bed? E.g. aren't home or have an appointment soon?
Close my eyes and press my hand over my eyes and forehead. Cutting out the visual stimulation for just a little while can help, and the pressure on my face feels calming. Also, slow breathing (6-8 seconds inhale and 10 seconds exhale). Headphones or earplugs help, too. These three things together can create my own little world for a few moments to power through until I can get myself to bed like @marc_101 said in post #5.

Close my eyes and press my hand over my eyes and forehead. Cutting out the visual stimulation for just a little while can help, and the pressure on my face feels calming. Also, slow breathing (6-8 seconds inhale and 10 seconds exhale). Headphones or earplugs help, too. These three things together can create my own little world for a few moments to power through until I can get myself to bed like @marc_101 said in post #5.
Compulsive, relentless, involuntary facepalming is excellent therapy for me, too.

I don't seem to have heightened senses when exhausted. In fact the only thing that makes me "melt down" is depression. And usually depression is triggered by seeing my peers succeed in life.
I get emotionally exhausted from life in general but it doesn't seem to lead to a meltdown. It just makes me want to sleep more, which I think is quite normal for any human.
Sometimes I can get depression though from routine being too mundane and too much sameness. I do crave change in routine sometimes.

Compulsive, relentless, involuntary facepalming is excellent therapy for me, too.
For me, it's certainly better than what I used to do, which involved a lot more whacking and banging of the face and head. Now I see that happening in my brain, but I don't actually do it. Vast improvement. I'll take the win. :blush:

For me, it's certainly better than what I used to do, which involved a lot more whacking and banging of the face and head. Now I see that happening in my brain, but I don't actually do it. Vast improvement. I'll take the win. :blush:
It's taken an entire lifetime, plus the addition of head injuries for me to be able to relate, and I'll leave it that, but certainly much sympathy. No, actually, I'm thinking back to some other things. Holy crap, I do have autism... lol...

It seems I'm approaching the Point Of No Return.
The advice my doctor gave about it was to simply avoid reaching this degree of overstimulation. However, it's hard to do it, if you don't know what is causing it or don't know how to refuse or feel as if you're hurting someone if you refuse. That was the case for me, I felt like if I refuse, leave some meeting halfway or take a breather and come back, I'll be rude, hurt others feelings, or will be left an ignored, forgotten, not liked. With some people, it does require making some adjustments, if they're willing to be understanding. With family, it can require a dose of conflict and freaking out on and harmful denial their part ("What? My child? Autism?"). Some people won't be willing to understand, they're not good friends anyway.

I feel like you mean rather burnout than a single shutdown/ meltdown. Not being able to wait until you're back home seems like burnout.

Guess it's just snuggling with plushies then.
If you need it, it's a good way to relax. It's okay to do nothing and not be productive if you need it.

Take care

New Threads

Top Bottom