• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Causes Autism? New 2016 Research Flags Genes That Could Contribute To Spectrum Disorder

Mia

V.I.P Member
Now that we’ve finally established that autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is not caused by vaccinations, it’s time to uncover its real origins inside our DNA. And thanks to a first-of-its-kind machine-learning program from Princeton University and the Simons Foundation in New York City, scientists have a “highly enriched” gene pool that helps them better pin down the 400-1,000 genes that have already been identified as risk factors for the disorder.

To gather the impressive pool of genes, scientists conducted an in-depth analysis of the human genome, starting with a functional brain network they constructed a little more than a year ago. This helped depict how genes work together in the brain’s molecular circuits. The team also used data from previous experiments that focused on how genes work throughout the whole body.

Taken together, scientists could better see the genes that are “turned on” in any given cell at certain points both in our development, as well as the genetic disruptions that occur in the brain of someone with ASD. The machine was then able to efficiently analyze more than 100 million gene interactions and pick out those which corresponded to ASD, landing on a pool of 2,500 genes that may be potential causes of autism.

Following up on these leads will help scientists delve deeper into autism's genetic basis and may also possibly lead to new diagnostic and treatment techniques.

"Geneticists can now focus on the top-ranked autism-risk gene predictions from our machine-learning program, both to direct future genome sequencing studies and to prioritize individual genes for experimental studies," said co-lead author Arjun Krishnan said in a recent statement.

While it’s likely that not all of the 2,500 top gene candidates are actually related to ASD, the findings help to bring forward several genes which were previously not linked to the disorder. Rather, Krishnan said, "these novel genes for autism risk are great candidates for further study."

Source: Krishnan A, Zhang R, Yao V, et al. Genome-Wide Prediction and Functional Characterization of the Genetic Basis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Nature Neuroscience. 2016.

We’re Closer Than Ever To Finding Cause Of Autism

Video: Autism Research and Aware on the site at Medical Daily.

DNA research is uncovering a lot of information about genes and their role in human development. We're still in the decoding phase for much of it, but its quite fascinating. We will want to manipulate this information once we learn how to identify and control genes in the human reproduction process. There are already debates about the ethical and moral implications of knowing what certain genes are likely to do. I believe strongly in the value of research into DNA and genetics, but I don't know if we will manage this information in a responsible manner. Medical science will find many uses for the information, and medicines will be designed to overcome the effects of many ailments and conditions. This is a good thing. I worry a bit about having the ability to custom design children by intentionally selecting genes in human reproduction. I believe that is coming. Who wouldn't want to extract and destroy the genes responsible for cancer? We know that once we manage to do that, other genetic factors will be addressed. It's such a double-edged sword. I still have to side with medical science and support all the research necessary to understand how we function. Identifying the codes for ASD is a positive step toward understanding it and managing it. I say three cheers to the technology that is assisting in this research. It's way beyond blood samples and microscopes. A lot will be learned in a short span of time.

An enigma machine for autism.

“Effectively analysing 100 million gene interactions”

and whittling it down to 2,500 that may be potential causes.

Phenomenal.

Obviously, autism is caused by being stunningly attractive and incredibly intelligent.

Hey, if people can come up with their own ridiculous theories, so can we.:D

New Threads

Top Bottom