• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your unique talents and gifts?

Absolutely nothing, I have no talents, skills, gifts etc, everything I've ever tried I've been terrible at.

You kind of sound like an awesome mom, I would say that is a gift. Teaching her to stand up for herself is a good thing, I wish my parents had taught me that.

@Kelly: NOT TRUE! We all know you're an incredible mother: a job many people suck at.

Thanks everyone but I don't think I'm that good at being a mum, I feel like I fail her on so many levels but I stumble along and try my best. I don't really think of it as a gift/talent etc, every parent should try their best unfortunately alot (that I've come across) simply don't, I see/hear some shockingly bad things at her school.

Spelling and grammar; I was known as "the walking dictionary" until my junior year of high school because I knew how to spell any word my classmates threw at me.

I have lost some vocab and mess up a little on grammar stuff now though. It started my junior year of high school when I discovered my other talent; languages. I can pick up foreign languages very quickly and easily and can easily imitate accents.

Last edited:
Remembering everyone's birthday even people whom I haven't talked to in years. Also, remembering things in general. Ie) dates, phone numbers, Birth and death dates of famous composers, etc. It was very helpful for my music history exams.

Yesterday in Spanish class, we had nothing to do. Most of the kids in that class are freshmen, and I'm a junior, so they don't know me that well. I heard them talking about countries and I chimed in, saying I could name the capital of every country and the three largest cities of each state. What then commenced was about half the class yelling out countries and states and I kept naming the capitals and cities. After a while, I was literally out of breath. Situations like that are when I love being an Aspie.

Spelling and grammar; I was known as "the walking dictionary" until my junior year of high school because I knew how to spell any word my classmates threw at me.

I have lost some vocab and mess up a little on grammar stuff now though. It started my junior year of high school when I discovered my other talent; languages. I can pick up foreign languages very quickly and easily and can easily imitate accents.

This is awesome!

I don't know if I have any special talent, though I probably have hyperlexia. I learned to read alone when I was 3 and I've always had a kind of obsession for how english words were pronounced, what made me learn english by myself as well. I spent a lot of time studying the European linguistic branches when I was at school, because I believed there should be a pattern that would tell me how languages change over the time. It's been a long time since I lost interest about that...

One thing I used to do and I never heard of anyone doing was to write random words just because that was fun. During boring classes, I used to invent words imagining things like "this sounds like an english word" or "this one sounds like a latin word".

This is awesome!

One thing I used to do and I never heard of anyone doing was to write random words just because that was fun. During boring classes, I used to invent words imagining things like "this sounds like an english word" or "this one sounds like a latin word".

I do that, too! Most people ask what one's favorite color is, I ask what one's favorite word is... Mine's "Serendipity". Yours?

I have perfect pitch (I can name a note that's played to me, even multiple notes in chords, and I can sing a note that someone tells me to sing), I can make fairly good music, I'm very good at spelling, I'm good with computers, I can memorise Pi to a good hundred-and-something digits, I can bring my arms from behind me over my head to in front of me, with my fingers remaining interlocked the whole way through, I had an obsession with planes and now know a great deal of plane models, makes, years of production and airlines.

Absolutely nothing, I have no talents, skills, gifts etc, everything I've ever tried I've been terrible at.

Give it some thought. I used to say that because what I'm good at seems very common and useless. Your gifts are probably there, you just don't think they're worth anything so they don't really come to mind.

I am a good speller, good at grammar, though I don't necessarily go to great lengths when I'm writing in a situation like this. I'm good at finding mistakes in someone else's writing like in newspapers and magazines. I can pick out something from a list pretty quickly. None of those things are actually useful or practical. I would make a great editor but no one will hire someone without a four year college degree. There you go. Just because you don't think it's worthwhile doesn't mean it's not there.

I am terrible at sports and visualizing physical relationships like when you work with wood. I can even draw something out, measure it several times, mark up the wood or whatever I'm working with, and still totally screw it up. It makes no sense and definitely makes me feel less masculine.

The only thing I can think of is that I throw the most amazing kids parties ever, or so my little girl and her classmates tell me, I'm very good at organizing them and the extra little details, apart from that I can't think of anything.

MY UNIQUE TALENTS IS becoming who i am today AWESOME. TALENTED . CLEVER and just being myself and not being false :cool:

I can memorize faces extremely well. If I see someone and they look familiar, I probably am not experiencing dejavu. I probably did see them before somewhere. I also have talent for picking up programming languages and figuring out logical systems.

The only thing I can think of is that I throw the most amazing kids parties ever, or so my little girl and her classmates tell me, I'm very good at organizing them and the extra little details, apart from that I can't think of anything.

Well, guess what? That's a hell of a talent to have, whether you realize it or not. Doing what you're saying is not something just anyone can do. That's why people make good livings doing it. Whether it's planning a child's party and making kids happy or planning a convention and having satisfied clients, it's the same basic skill set.

I wish I could do that. I can't even keep a day at work on track; I have sticky notes all over my desk because if I don't do that I'll forget what I intended to do. Things come to mind during the day and if they're not written down, they're gone. I leave myself notes so I can remember where I was the day before. Geez, it's hard enough for me to keep track of the present much less think very far ahead.

Planning requires forethought and creativity as well as mental organization and strategy. Large engineering projects are managed with a Master Project Plan. They're huge and detailed and keep track of what is required so that another activity can be done. I've seen them literally cover half of a good-sized wall. Those abilities should not be overlooked. What do you think of your talent now? :D You have something you're good at that not a lot of people can do well. It doesn't matter if you use it to make kids smile or use it as a systems engineer; just enjoy your innate abilities and the good that comes from them.

For goodness' sake, don't downplay your ability. It's a big deal.

Well, guess what? That's a hell of a talent to have, whether you realize it or not.

I think the reason I'm so good at it is that I become obsessed. I spend hours deciding on a theme (with the little one's input of course), finding the right entertainer and then I make lots and lots of lists of things. List of kids to invite, list of party food, list of the stuff to go in the party bags, I extensively research for the best price for the tableware and decorations etc. Luckily this year it was a monster themed party and all of the halloween decorations were on sale, I always add in little details like buying 250 glowsticks(it was a disco with uv lights, laser lights allsorts of fun stuff) for ?12 instead of paying the entertainer ?25 to bring 40 glowsticks. I design and print the invites, thank you notes etc (the invite design is on this site somewhere).

My little girls parties are pretty legendary, the kids and parents still talk about them years later. Her first one when she was 4 was a bouncy castle, face painting and balloon modelling (and her entire pre-school), pretty standard party but because of the extra details I put into it it was the little bit more special (like getting some cheap cookies, re-packaging them in cello bags with fancy ribbon and personalised name labels, looked impressive cost hardly anything).

Her 5th was a small affair, a dozen kids at an indoor play centre followed by macdonalds, and the next day we took her and her best friend to a theme park.

Her 6th was the one everybody talks about (even the teachers who've heard the kids talk about it), she was obsessed with meerkats at the time so I searched and searched and found a reptile rescue centre that offer party packages. So 42 kids, one huuuuge boa constrictor, lots of smaller snakes, lizards and a tegu walking about the place and the icing on the cake she got to hold a meerkat (they really stink btw but purr like cats, so cute), she was so excited and happy the second they took the meerkat off her she had to run to the toilet before she wet herself lol. Instead of party bags (which average about ?2-?3 a bag) I found a seller on ebay selling hello kitty(her other obsession) and ben10(for the boys) watches, I also got lots and lots of inflatables (hello kitty, spiderman, footballs, flowers, hammers, allsorts of stuff). So instead of them all getting a bag costing ?2-?3 a head full of cheap plastic tat they all took home an inflatable and a watch for about ?1.50 a head.

Then last year for her 7th she wanted something small with just a dozen friends again, at the time she was becoming obsessed with performing and having her photo taken(model in the making), so a fairy party that included a make-up/hair session and photoshoot for each girl and instead of party bags we had build a bear so they all took home a bear.

This year she wanted a monster themed disco (her obsession now is monster high and moshi monsters), so once again i researched and found all the perfect stuff. Instead of the kids getting lots of tat in the bags I bought a joblot of moshi monsters (collectible figures) for about ?10 (it came with lots of other stuff that I gave to her as birthday presents), so each kid got a moshi monster that usually cost ?1 a figure but they cost me only a few pennies each and I filled the bag up with other monster themed stuff (spare monster high stickers, a cello bag full of sweets bought wholesale for pennies, monster tattoos, and other little bits).

Next year we are not planning on having a party(thinking of taking 1 or 2 friends to a theme park or the cinema) but we say that every year, I just love to organize them and I end up doing it anyway lol. I always say I'd be great at doing it professionally except I can't stand other people so it would be a failure lol

I'm really good at remembering things that are important to me (not school, as always), I am perfect spelling, I can draw, but not so good, I can analyse stuff very quick and I remember faces and their names, no matter how time have passed.

New Threads

Top Bottom