• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your favorite video games?

Owliet

The Hidden One.
What are you most favorite video games?

Video games are something of a long-term hobby for me. I’ve been playing them since I was A kid playing Spyro and the Disney’s game Hercules on the Playstation. =)

Sometimes a video game will stick with me and I will be sucked into the fandom (cough Dragon Age and Mass Effect). I play a range of genres but some of my favorites are (discounting Dragon Age and Mass Effect because I think its obvious That I love them) are Assassins Creed, God of War, Spyro, Witcher.

I prefer games that require more thought and strategy rather than fast paced action, and I like playing on a computer because to me the programming is as entertaining as the game itself. I never play online, too stressful.

Favourite games of all time:

Black and White - the original
Total War series - the originals, not the remakes
Minetest - an open source version of minecraft, I spent many thousands of hours on that
No Man's Sky - current favourite

I was addicted to MMORPGs, like Guild Wars 2, Shadowbane, Tibia and others. I avoided playing World of Warcraft because it was too good for me to resist.

Other games I love to play are turn strategy ones, like Civilizarion, Heroes of Migth and Magic and currently Battle Brothers.

I also like RPGs, like Zelda Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy VII, Baldurs Gate and others.

The first game I knew inside and out was Doom (correction Super Mario Bros) and eventually Duke Nukem 3D. Ive always enjoyed first person shooters. SOCOM was another favourite that I spent a lot of time with. I really enjoyed the Metal Gear type games.

These days I play time waisters on my phone. Monkeys shooting balloons.

If I could afford the time I could easily lock myself in the house and play Minecraft for about 6 months straight. I like making farms and understanding the mechanics behind them. I think the redstone computers are pretty cool as well.

Most of my hours have gone on Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast, Gamecube and on Blue Burst on every private server there's ever been.

I game a lot less these days, but for the past few years it's been almost exclusively on the sequal to Phantasy Star Online which is Phantasy Star Universe on a private (open) server called Clementine.

Across PSO, PSOBB, PSU and PSO2 I've easily racked up over 15k hours.

As for other favourite games, here's my Steam list. I've played a lot more of Oblivion and Fallout 3, but that was pre-Steam:

01.PNG

Ed

I avoided playing World of Warcraft because it was too good for me to resist.
I played WoW up until Shadowlands. It’s hard being a Woman who plays games online since the amount of abuse you get with the “omg, get back in the kitchen” and other sexualized comments and slurs. It just wasn’t worth it even when I put them on block, they often found a way to get around that. And reporting it did nothing. So, I stopped. Which is a good thing since I’m not finding myself needing to do 100000 of things just get the weekly rewards.

I was in a Socom clan for adults only. It kept everything civil. No disrespecting comments. The clan was [HOG] Hail of Gunfire. We used to compete with another clan [FOG] Family of Gamers. Good times.

My most favourite games at the moment are The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Fable: The Lost Chapters, Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life, Smash Bros. Melee, Free Realms, Creatures, and Dead by Daylight.

Too many to name! So top 5 of all time in no particular order:

Goldeneye - the original N64 version.
Ocarina of Time - still gets a yearly playthrough.
Doom - still holds up to this day, with mods.
Terraria - got sucked into this when it first came out, and the devs never seem to stop updating it.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2/Yuri's revenge.

There's a campaign going on here these days to make people aware of the abuse female gamers go through. In one commercial for it, a young girl lets her parents watch while she tries to play a game. And right away someone notices her username and says "Who is that? Is that a girl? It's a girl, darnit". And then several guys are just calling her names and swearing and threatning her and laughing".

And it makes absolutely no sense. Since when do young guys dislike girls? I played video games when I was a teenager, if a girl had joined, everyone would have said "awesome!". :DThat's what we did if girls wanted to hang out with us or do something together with us, of course that was great. We liked girls. So this gamer abuse makes no sense.
Yeah, it’s a minefield at times. I used to switch my mic off but they would insist on having it open for dungeons and raids. I’d also get messages or whisper chats from some who were obviously desperate. Would get free gold though But the problem if you take it, they expect things in return which is something that its just not worth opening that. The amount of abuse that is given, it’s not just teenage boys either…You see it at cons too. There is like a driven need for some guys to test you on the fandom and if you get one thing not right, they automatically label you as not a fan and give abuse there too. Rarely happens here but it still happens. I dont know if it’s a social …challenge or something but being told they hope you get r**** because I made the mistake of arguing back once…not fun.

And you’re a nice person. Of course it makes no sense. That‘s usually how stuff should go.=)

Dead by Daylight.
That sounds really familiar. Is that the zombie one that you have to climb buildings and use strategy? I played that when it was free on my xbox one — fun times, then I got eaten by zombies. =D

Dead by Daylight is an asymmetrical online horror game, where you either play as one of four survivors that are trying to escape a killer, or the killer themselves. It's really fun.

Crazy Taxi - It's a simple game but a lot of fun, and having songs like "All I Want" by The Offspring and "Inner Logic" by Bad Religion add to it.

I'll play pretty much anything from shmups to roguelites to bmu's, FPS, ARPG's, OWSC's, etc. With that said, almost everyone I know is a bigger gamer than me because I tend to drop the hobby in favor of other stuff for long periods of time. I feel like I haven't gamed in like 6 months right now as it is.

With that said, I can get majorly hooked on logic / circuit sims. Retro Gadgets, Virtual Circuit Board, Turing Complete, Crumb Circuit Simulator, The Signal State, and Alan's Automaton Workshop are all up my alley lately.

The only type of game I really don't like are these newer FPS / RPG / Fetch-quest mashups. Give me retro anyday :)

Last edited:
FPS make me feel nauseous fairly quickly. I've always been a big fan of racing sims, especially touring cars and had my first feedback steering wheel sometime around 2000. So Gran Turismo franchise.

That being said, in recent years then The Last of Us and TLOU2 is by far the stand out. I admit that I was in tears 'playing' parts of that.

Going back in time Jonah Lomu rugby on the original PS, Sensible Soccer (still awesome on the emulators), Hitman (pretty much all of the franchise), an old PC game called Thief that was probably the inspiration for Assassins Creed game mechanics.

Omigod I could rant about this for ages. Like, full-on infodump mode. I will... restrain myself.

I'll follow @Raggamuffin 's example and just sorta show a list kinda, this being from the Steam Replay, which shows most of the games I've been into over the past year. A couple of screenshots from that:

exa1.jpg

exa2.jpg

exa3.jpg

Lots of stuff.

Some got played more than others of course... the one in the upper left of that first image is the one that got the most playtime, making up a full 18% of gaming time spent last year just by itself. That one is still getting played a lot, and lately Dead Cells is also getting a ton of time. The fact that Dead Cells has a Castlevania expansion coming out soon just enhances that even more.

Some of these games are also special to me for various reasons:

Binding of Isaac, as it got me into indie games and led to a series of events that allowed me to finally achieve a childhood dream (also it's just my favorite game of all time)

Sumotori Dreams, as it helped me get through the absolute nightmare that was the Prednesone incident

Sentinels of the Multiverse, which introduced me to the board game hobby (I now have a physical copy of it with most of the expansions, it is very heavy) and that has been a very positive thing for me

Bloody Rally Show, because I'm literally in the game as a selectable avatar when making a new character, I'm still not 100% sure just how that happened

There's one though that I've omitted from both this list and the screenshots though, which is the most important one of all and which had a *major* effect on me, but I'm trying really hard to NOT think about it right now. I dont want to talk about that right now (and if you know what it is, please dont say anything, seriously). Let's just move on...

Also not pictured here is Factorio, as I'm playing the Switch version of that, since it has actual controller support (FINALLY), while the PC version hasnt received that upgrade just yet. Factorio is really amazing (it's one of the highest rated games on Steam) and inspired a whole new factory/management genre. You can see Satisfactory in my screenshots up there, that's one of them. It's been really interesting to dive into a whole new type of game, and I'm loving it. I'm not very good at it, but still.

Minecraft also, that's not on Steam but it's easily one of my top 5 games of all time.

There's also many small horror games, but I usually get those from Itch instead of Steam.

Lastly: Retro games! I play a lot of Atari 2600 games in particular and NES stuff. Too many of those to list, and I'm not going to talk about favorites of any of those because that's like 10 pages of ranting.

I dont touch AAA games. Not that any of them hold any interest for me in any case, I dont like FPS games and open-world stuff (in the style of either Ubisoft or Bethesda) is a cure for insomnia as far as I'm concerned, and that seems to be the only two things that the AAA space cares about. Well, they also care about stealing everyone's money, but that's another story... What few people I know offline sure are into them though. I'm so tired of being shown clips or other things related to freaking Fallout 4. I seriously cant figure out why they keep doing that. I've developed an irrational hatred of that one after way too much of that, but I do my best to stay polite and not let that show.

So.... yeah! Fun stuff, mostly.

Skyrim and Minecraft, I try to stay away from games recently, If I get stuck on them I don’t do anything else.

I usually stay with just one game at a time. Right now I am back playing Terraria. It's fairly old but as Angular Chap mentioned it keeps getting updates. Love the building aspect especially. Just completed an art gallery which I had been planning for ages. Now building a half-timber style (tudor) village for the NPCs. Have had them in skyscrapers up to now. Also finally making some headway vs the bosses and just beat the Temple Golum. Only thing that is bad is the new shimmer biome only comes with a new generated world and there is no way I am giving up on this one. I think the shimmer name is borrowed from the movie 'Annihilation'. Unless there is some way to carry it accross but it doesn't sound like it.

Deus Ex has been one of my favorite video games over the past 20 years. I've installed it on a Mac using WINE before, and I plan on doing the same with Linux in the near future.

Another favorite of mine is Okami. The game is over 15 years old now, yet in my opinion it has aged much better than even some games from 5-10 years ago.

New Threads

Top Bottom