• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

My most recent obsession was with planes, but although I still know tonnes about them, that obsession has died away.

Ah what a shame..... I read the first part and was getting a bit excited, but then the last part when you say it has since died away. (I'm fascinated by modern military aircraft) Which types of planes where you interested in?

Josh,

You sound like a guy after my own heart...I've been obsessed with military aircraft for as long as I can remember!! :) I remember once, I was at an air show at the local airport, sitting in the co-pilot's chair of a KC-135 tanker aircraft and was naming off the instruments...the pilot looked at my dad and said, "How old is this kid??" My dad said either 8 or 9...I don't remember when this happened. Point being--the pilot was very impressed that I knew all the instruments in the cockpit at such a young age. :)

It's not that I haven't studied military aircraft. I've studied almost all aircraft, and I know just as much about military ones as I do passenger ones. I do really like some certain military aircraft, but overall I prefer passenger.

My obsession is, and pretty much always has been, based on two things: computers and the brain! I am fascinated with the brain! The fact that all of the things it can do in a 3 lb mass is absolutely amazing! I'm very interested in ADHD, Aspergers, and PTSD as I am diagnosed with those and find it easier to relate with the research. I loved computers too, but more so learning about the brain. I can't seem to put a Rubiks cube down, either, so I love puzzles.

Josh,

You sound like a guy after my own heart...I've been obsessed with military aircraft for as long as I can remember!! :) I remember once, I was at an air show at the local airport, sitting in the co-pilot's chair of a KC-135 tanker aircraft and was naming off the instruments...the pilot looked at my dad and said, "How old is this kid??" My dad said either 8 or 9...I don't remember when this happened. Point being--the pilot was very impressed that I knew all the instruments in the cockpit at such a young age. :)

HAHA! Cool! I've had a similar experience, though at an older age. I was at the Kentucky Air National Guard after an airshow during my early teens, as they used to let civilians check out the planes on the ground (the airshow was along the Ohio River in Louisville) and I got to go inside an E-3 Sentry AWACS aircraft, a pretty good line of people walking through. I guess they expected us to just walk through quickly and look briefly at all the computer terminals and almost like cubicles in this thing. It's alot like an office with wings really. I kept stopping at certain stations and telling my dad,"this is where they do such and such, this is a radar observation area", and telling him what the AWACS was used for, the airman inside the plane kept telling me," you need to keep moving.... you need to keep moving" I was amazed I was actually inside an AWACS, such a critical piece of air warfare equipment. It was awesome. I've only beeen in a few others, cargo bay of a C-5 Galaxy, and C-130 Hercules, for instance, but none compare to the AWACS. I had the opportunity to go inside a B-1B Lancer at a later airshow at the same place but the line was entirely too long. I do kick myslef for not doing that though as the B-1B is among my favorite aircraft.

Well, I said I was going to sleep a couple of hours ago, but for the past couple of days I've been obsessed with foxes! I can't stop looking at them! They're beautiful! I like wolves too, and owls and deer!

My current obsession is tiny living spaces. Vans, RVs, little houses and apartments. It started with planning my retirement and trying to find the cheapest way to live, but it's blown into a new obsession.

In the past my two main obsessions were playing guitar (I got pretty good) and tattooing. I made a good living with the latter for about 15 years.

I find I'm happiest when I have an obsession of some kind.

Graphic novels. I never even used to like comics, but lately I have been getting into Sandman and Buffy Season 8.

Planning out my next tattoos. I have four of them now, and plan on at least six more. I am fascinated by other people's tattoos and when I see interesting ones, I have to ask them what it's for, where they got it, why...I'm incredibly nosy that way.

Planning out my next tattoos. I have four of them now, and plan on at least six more. I am fascinated by other people's tattoos and when I see interesting ones, I have to ask them what it's for, where they got it, why...I'm incredibly nosy that way.

Gotta be careful about asking, though...ask the wrong person, or ask in the wrong way, and it can be dangerous. I've actually had people take a swing at me for that. :eek:

Really?!?! Why? I have never had a person be upset at me for asking about their tattoo. Usually people are of the mindset that if it's visible, then people are going to ask/comment. I have "221B" (The address of Sherlock Holmes) tattooed on my inner wrist, and I get questions at least once a day as to its meaning. I also have a butterfly on the back of my neck that is usually visible due to my short hair and I get a lot of compliments on it.

Some can be really private and as tattoos are in one's body it can feel disturbing for them if someone directly asks about it. Most people I know paint themselves for them only, and feel bit uneasy if asked. Also for some getting compliments about tattoos is like getting compliments about one's facial feature - they're mine, and they won't change no matter how much you like or don't like about them. As like they're part of me and not actually something I'd have done by myself even that the design was chosen or made by self. Go rather praise the artist.
Personally I'm not really inclined answering about true meaning of tattoos of mine as those stories can be quite personal, but I've learned some standard comments and would never freak out if asked. :>

Last edited:
My obsessions... My main one is online racing. I have a driving sim set up in my room. Racing has been an obsession of mine for as long as I can remember. I feel like that flame has been flickering recently though, and it's unnerving. I don't enjoy driving as much as I use to. I've started doing a lot of meditating, yoga, stretching and stuff. I started doing a lot of my own cooking, and I've gotten obsessed with cooking what ever the healthiest way possible. Mmm. My gluten free pancakes and cookies are amazing. I've also started listening to podcast. My favorite as of now is the Joe Rogan Experience. I'm going to school for Botany and hydroponics, and hope to put in my own hydro garden soon.

Not sure if my obsessions are actual obsessions or a change in my lifestyle, but the newest one is being outside in my backyard. Partially as an escape from a house that has the TV on for about 14 hours a day or more. I can't stand it but it's all that my dad can do with all that pain he has.

Anyone obsessed with a person? I was dating someone for 1.5 years and after that could not let go for close to 5. Not stalking or anything like that. But i was obsessed with making the relationship work. I was totally taken advantage of, i know this. My willingness to do anything and everything was definitely abused. I don't know why, but every waking moment of my life was about getting the relationship to work and I would write songs, journals, etc all about the relationship. nothing else.
It was a dark time in my life because i shut out my family and everything that was good for "me" including my interests, etc.
Anyway...didn't know if anyone else went through this. This was over 10 years ago now. I look back at my journals and think how stupid I was.

I believe all of us have obsessed over a particular someone. The last girl I was with I still obsess about. Not necessarily because I want to. We had been best friend that turned in to a relationship. We only together for a short time before she moved on to some one else. ****ed me up! That was a pretty big turning point in my life. It's been about a 6 months since we have talked. I do love her and care about her, but I have finally been able to come to a personal revelation about my self that has made everything easier. She does still poses my dreams... Which can be nice at times. Never anything sexual, and even though we had that type of relationship. I've never wanted anything more than to just "BE" with her. Make any since? So, my dreams consist of us just being together. Not always positive. My ex-fianc? seems to find her way into my dreams as well lately. But that is a story for another time. I believe it is very easy for us to be taken advantage of. I had to listen to my friends and family to truly realize it. Your not alone.

New one is room cleanliness. We'll see how long this one lasts... haha! As soon as my fiance leaves I can finish up the rest of my room. And then I can work on my book and some job apps!

New Threads

Top Bottom