• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your controversial opinions regarding the autism spectrum?

I'm not talking about guessing or deductive reasoning though. I mean what is said by a person that paints a very clear picture. And really to me the picture someone paints of themselves in a forum is all that matters in that little world. If they act rude and obnoxious on the forum thats who they are there. It doesn't make any difference if they're different irl. When I talk about myself, especially my autism, it's pretty easy to see where I am with it. I was diagnosed severe at 3 years old. I went to a private school for significant special needs. I'm nonverbal and withdrawn. I require significant support. I think from just that little bit of personal info you have a pretty good idea of my level of function.

ah ok.

I hate constantly hearing about other people on the spectrum wanting a cure as well. It seems they think if they get "cured" they'll automatically get a girlfriend or a good job and junk. It's never that that simple. It also really bothers me that so many autistic guys think they absolutely need a girlfriend in order to be happy. And ever since the incel terrorist attack in Toronto, I sometimes even feel nervous or threatened when they start trashing women in general.:coldsweat:

Yeah, I do feel that it's really easy for male aspies to fall into that "nice guy"/incel trap. There's nothing wrong with desiring companionship (it's part of being human), but I seem to notice a trend in aspie dating forums that it's dominated by men who complain about one or more of the following:
  • Being unable to attract women because they feel they are a) too ugly, b) have autism, c) some other trait they feel is repelling women
  • Their female friend isn't into them
  • That women only seem to be into "jerks" (hence the nice guy syndrome)
I think many aspie guys haven't ever been mentored in the dating world and its complexities so they start to form a sense of entitlement and bitterness towards women. That's not an excuse for them, but it explains why aspie guys tend to develop misogynistic attitudes and nice guy syndrome.

Autism is a hoax. You're all just actors. Just like those NASA round earth actors! :mad:
Yep! Unpaid, non-crisis actors and actresses, working diligently toward equanimus un-profitability for all, every one!

The classic "correlation equals causation" with vaccines. Forbidden topic, I'm aware of that, but this is the 21st century now, and that was a 20th century artifact that's due for the trash bin. Then again, on a flat earth what else would you expect? I'll say no more on the subject...

That everyone on the spectrum has (insert negative or undesirable trait here). There's evidence to the contrary if you're willing to look beyond your little clique of soccer moms, pop celebrities and cure peddling "experts". Your child or "adult child" (or whatever well intentioned term you like to use) isn't representative of an entire subset of the world population, which is a good thing you know.

I am of the opinion that emotion, as we know it, is a relic from a time that required such for survival.
We(loosely), have created such abstract(and overwhelmingly technology driven) societies that emotion (as it over-rides the ability for objective analysis)has, as an essential primordial tool, become not so relevant.
Civilization does not allow for two ladies vying for the purchase of a unique hat to settle their conflict in the historic way, UNLESS(!), the resolution is to somehow share the desired apparel. It also does not allow a computer's motherboard to be repaired by one who's predominant mindset is "I really hate this ÷\]©:#+('n motherboard!".
Places where original responses to things like "territorial trespass" are largely eliminated by social rules and (rather anti-monolithic) legal systems.
Our primate instinct to "fling poo", or take by force, instead of work toward the equitable distribution of necessities and/or desirables is slowly either becoming antiquated, or must be carried out in secrecy to avoid prosecution.
It is also not lost on me that mother nature inevitably evens disparities.
It is quite conceivable to me that mother nature sees primitive individual human emotional responses as unfeasable given our ever more hive-like existences, in much the same way as she (largely)eliminated individualism in bees and ants as well as other "hive" creatures.
I most definitely view my AS as a unique, valuable set of tools infinitely better attuned to problem-solving and prioritization than "emotion".
Admittedly, it is also much less stressful and harrowing than the unpredictability of encountering diverse egomaniacal "personas".

The classic "correlation equals causation" with vaccines. Forbidden topic, I'm aware of that, but this is the 21st century now, and that was a 20th century artifact that's due for the trash bin. Then again, on a flat earth what else would you expect? I'll say no more on the subject...

That everyone on the spectrum has (insert negative or undesirable trait here). There's evidence to the contrary if you're willing to look beyond your little clique of soccer moms, pop celebrities and cure peddling "experts". Your child or "adult child" (or whatever well intentioned term you like to use) isn't representative of an entire subset of the world population, which is a good thing you know.

Iv always wondered if vaccination may not be the first very stressfull event that can cause a child to shutdown if he is autistic,and ofc as the child behaviour changed they link that to the vaccine?

Cure for Autism? Won't happen, unless they invent Star Trek level medicinal technology.

@ZebraAspie 1: You are NOT "special"
2: OK you don't mind being called Aspie
3: No, Mainstream education is NOT suitable for Aspies However, neither is "Special Needs" education in some cases IMO.
What’s wrong with being being special. Everyone is to some degree. Mainstream ED is suitable for some autistics by not others. I go to a a special needs collage which isn’t that suitable so i’m not say special education is always better.

Unfortunately special needs ed needs to cost a lot to have a chance of being good. In public schools such segregated classrooms are really just there to babysit problem kids and keep them away from the rest of the school.
Sadly in some places this is true. I am at special needs collage and an effort is made to help introduce me to other people. As in taking me to “the normal” collage one day a week next year so I can eat with my school friends.

3: No, Mainstream education is NOT suitable for Aspies However, neither is "Special Needs" education in some cases IMO.

This is something I wish more people would understand.

For so many of us, school... particularly the later years... was freaking awful, and this is a huge part of the reason.

This is something I wish more people would understand.

For so many of us, school... particularly the later years... was freaking awful, and this is a huge part of the reason.

For me personally I thrived well in general ed. Most of my teachers were receptive to my IEP and assisted me when I needed it. It was more suitable than special ed imo because I did take some special ed classes in high school and found them to be a bit too easy. Of course it does depend on the teachers and the school.

I think "autism" used as an insult or joke in certain situations isn't such a bad thing. Depending on context and setting of course

Controversial opinion number one: it doesn't exist. The 'spectrum' that is. You either have autism or Asperger's Syndrome, or you do not.
Controversial opinion number two: Asperger's Syndrome is NOT a form of autism! I've known people with what is described as being autism, even the so-called mild versions of it, and I can safely say that I do NOT have what they have. I did not have any speech delays when I was young, am not mentally challenged, do not have catastrophic meltdowns, and do not 'stim'. Sure, there are some similarities between the two conditions, but the differences mean that I should not be lumped in with people who have autism. That's just a mistake, a rather stupid one at that.

Controversial opinion number one: it doesn't exist. The 'spectrum' that is. You either have autism or Asperger's Syndrome, or you do not.
Controversial opinion number two: Asperger's Syndrome is NOT a form of autism! I've known people with what is described as being autism, even the so-called mild versions of it, and I can safely say that I do NOT have what they have. I did not have any speech delays when I was young, am not mentally challenged, do not have catastrophic meltdowns, and do not 'stim'. Sure, there are some similarities between the two conditions, but the differences mean that I should not be lumped in with people who have autism. That's just a mistake, a rather stupid one at that.

Controversial opinion 1: Contrary to popular belief, Autistic people in general are NOT retarded.

I always tell myself if I do something stupid, dangerous, or get an idea, that the responsibility and consequences are mine to bear.

I guess my controversial opinion regarding autism is that even we have responsibilities to attend to. It's definitely not all fun & games.

Autistic traits are not confined to just people with autism, it's not so much the traits themselves that make us autistic, but a cluster of traits found together to make the autism profile. I sometimes have meltdowns - so do NTs. I have 'special interests' and can get very absorbed in them - so can NTs. I have sensory issues - NTs often have these as well. I have social difficulties - so do some NTs. What makes me different to NTs is that I have these together in a cluster, and that they significantly affect my life, whereas an NT with the same problem will usually cope much better with it, it won't affect their life so much.

I don't automatically attribute every quirk or issue I have to Asperger's - they may be due to an external issue or be a personality trait and have nothing to do with autism at all. I examine all possibilities, and don't assume that it is Asperger's.

New Threads

Top Bottom