• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are you reading?

972FB5C6-38E6-43B6-9947-E03139EED55A.jpeg

In this thread, we talk about books that we're reading right now. I'll start.
Right now, I'm reading A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power by Jimmy Carter. It's a good read. It talks about how women are oppressed all over the world and how different cultures have subjugated women throughout history.

Crime and punishment

Just finished the nonfiction 2018 book “Gigged,” by Sarah Kessler. It’s about the gig employment of the 21st Century and how companies like Uber changed it. People in USA are making way below minimum wage and legally cannot do anything about it. Try working 50 hours a week for $1.75 an hour, and having no governmental protections, or benefits. And that is the only job available to you. Crazy insane. It’s only going to get worse as time goes on.

Watership Down and The Golden Compass.

Great books! I’ve read Watership Down a few times. The next time I adopt an animal, a cat or a rabbit perhaps, I will name him Fiver in honor of the shivering little bunny from the novel.

I read the His Dark Materials series a few years ago. I love The Golden Compass the best. Don’t you want a daemon? Mine would be a frog or grasshopper.

Last edited:
Two: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Becoming by Michelle Obama

Both books are well-written, Goldfinch is a trifle more affected than Becoming in it's writing style, but not so much to annoy me. "Goldfinch" is fiction, "Becoming" is autobiographical.

"The Goldfinch" so far is the story of Theo Decker, who survives an accident that kills his Mother. For anyone who will read this book at some point, I'll not spoil it for them.

"Becoming" is honestly written, conveying a sense of time and place that draws you into a life. It's an interesting glance into an individual's life and upbringing.

Last edited:
"A Warning" by Anonymous

A surprisingly well-written account of an insider within the Trump administration. Whomever this person is, either they or their ghost writer have a keen sense of American history and political administration.

I have decided to devote the next four years to reading classic literature. Fiction isn't generally my favorite thing but I'm doing it anyway. This week I've decided to try Wuthering Heights.

I’ve always found it shocking that Wuthering Heights is considered romance. It’s one of the most brutal, disturbing revenge novels I’ve ever read. Cathy and Heathcliff are both crazy as loons, and their relationship is one of obsession, not love.

The Bronte sisters are fantastic. You should read Jane Eyre someday. It’s the quintessential gothic novel and a mighty fine story.

Last edited:
I’ve always found it shocking that Wuthering Heights is considered romance.

If it's any kind of romance, it was certainly a shocking one for me at the time that I read it in my teens. I was horrified with their interactions, lost love, marriages and pregnancies. There was so much pain and jealousy and sadness in the novel on the parts of Heathcliffe and Cathy. And so many births and deaths. A moody and dark landscape, the moors were, as was the estate and the people in it. Endless suffering it seems. It was the only novel that Emily Bronte finished. It certainly qualifies for the genre of gothic horror.

Last edited:
The French Revolution Steven Clarke.

Laughed at the peruke lever.

Louis XIV's 'getting up wig'

Quite interesting, a quick read, going through all the excesses of the French Kings.

The Sun King had 15,000 people at Versailles at one point.
Either servants or sycophants.

Origins: How the Earth made us by Lewis Dartnell
The Heretic's Guide to Global Finance: Hacking the future of money by Brett Scott

The turn of the Screw by Henry James, in Spanish. I found it casually when looking for another book for a Christmas gift.

The edition could be better, but it was very cheap.

wxpTYpe.jpg

The turn of the Screw by Henry James, in Spanish. I found it casually when looking for another book for a Christmas gift.

The edition could be better, but it was very cheap.

wxpTYpe.jpg

Nice! I just bought a copy of that very book myself (except in English). I can’t believe I’ve never read it before, because I’m addicted to gothic stories from the 1800s. Let us know what you think of it!

New Threads

Top Bottom